How long does it take to get your LAND LEGS back?!?!?

weebo

I'm still swaying and moving inside! :( Feels like I am still on board... (we got off the Jewel of the Seas yesterday morning)

Does the feeling go away soon??

I haven't experienced that feeling since I first started cruising but from what I remember it only lasted a couple of days.

We were on the Jewel in October, from Boston to Bermuda and back to Boston, WOW the seas were rough!!! Five days after we got back to AZ, I seriously thought the bed was going up and down, and my husband thought his work desk was going up and down. We never experienced this before on any of our past cruises. A few days later everything was fine, so give it 5 to 7 days, it will get better :D

###

This has never happened the two times I've cruised on BIG boats (ships).

But did happen once when we took our small boat out to Martha's Vineyard and encountered 6 ft seas! It took a full 48hrs. to get my equilibrium back!

We've cruised in some equally "big" seas for "small craft" since then and it never happened again that severely.

I do sometimes "swim" a bit for an hour or so after a week-end on the water. But never on the BIG boats.

I hope you're fine by the time you read this!

Martha

If the feeling continues, you might want to have a doctor check it out. Usually it will go away pretty quickly. I had it when we diembarked in Sydney and the druggist recommended taking some Dramamine for it. Cleared everything right up and I never had it again on the trip or since.

Charlie

Back in the 80's I would feel the motion after I got off cruise ships. Of course, this was when 25-28,000 ton ships were common. Nowadays, 78,000 tons is considered small but with the overall smoother sailing I don't experience "sea legs". Even then it would only last about an hour for me. In some ways, I wish it would return. A small memory to take with me!

We were on the Jewel in October, from Boston to Bermuda and back to Boston, WOW the seas were rough!!! Five days after we got back to AZ, I seriously thought the bed was going up and down, and my husband thought his work desk was going up and down. We never experienced this before on any of our past cruises. A few days later everything was fine, so give it 5 to 7 days, it will get better :D

###

It's the waters of the Atlantic Ocean. I have a girlfriend who cruises out of Norfolk to the Bahamas every year and she said the Atlantic coast is always rough. The seas in the Gulf coast are much calmer. It also depends on where your cabin is on the ship - we usually choose midship and like the other posts stated, the size of the ship also matters.

The same thing happens to me after a cruise -- I continue to sway for a week or longer. However, I got some good advice on this site -- continue to take Bonine (or Dramamine, whatever) after you get home for a few days. Tried that this month after returning and it definitely works.

• 2 weeks later...

I always take Bonine (1 at night) a couple of nights before we go. If I need to I take it while we're at sea but I always take it a couple of nights after we return. In 3 cruises I have not had a problem yet....

• 3 years later...

I'm probably misspelling it, but this condition has a name: Mal de Debarquement Syndrome -- but I just call it "dock-rock". :eek:

Very fortunate that I don't get seasick, even in pretty rough waters. But I have noticed (over the years) that, the rougher the seas, the longer it takes me to get my "land legs" back. Of course, DH claims that it's just because I really am a "dizzy blonde"! ;)

• 4 months later...

I went on a 5 day cruise and 6 days later I still have my sea legs I tried all the over the counter meds and seabands and meclazine ginger nothing seems to give relife. And I have gotten really dizzy a few times. Only seems to go away when Im in the car or if I have been up for a while. I wish I would have known this was a thing that could happern before I went on my cruise. Worried that this is a permenant thing, everyone tells me that it will pass in time. kind of a high price to pay for a few days of fun if you ask me. Reading others posts I dont see alot of people say it lasts them over a week has anyone had it last this long before?