Princess Saying Future Cruise Deposit Non-Refundable

ShipShapeinFL

While on our last Emerald cruise in 2010 my husband and I did a $200 future cruise deposit to be used before 4/14. We had booked a cruise on the Royal for Nov this year but have unfortunately had to cancel. We will not be able to take advantage of the $200 deposit before the allowed time so I requested the deposit back. My travel agent just informed me Princess will not refund the deposit but we can use it for another cruise. When we made this FCC it clearly stated is was fully refundable if canceled before final payment or unable to use before required date. Has anyone else had this problem getting their FCC refunded?

No. I had about a year left on a FCC but with a son on college I decided it will probably be 2 years before I cruise again. I called and they credited my account in Decenber.

I noticed you said your travel agent told you. I would call Princess about this.

I guess your TA did not advise you very well I am a TA myself how it works is ike this. If you put a FCC down and do not use it ie apply to a booking then they will refund you at the time it expires to the card you used. If you apply it to a cruise which it seems like you did for Royal then you take the risk of loosing it. However princess will hold onto it and apply it to a future cruise. Once that FCC is applied and you book through a TA it tells the ta on Polar online princess booking engine that it can not be reversed. Hope this helps.

I guess your TA did not advise you very well I am a TA myself how it works is ike this. If you put a FCC down and do not use it ie apply to a booking then they will refund you at the time it expires to the card you used. If you apply it to a cruise which it seems like you did for Royal then you take the risk of loosing it. However princess will hold onto it and apply it to a future cruise. Once that FCC is applied and you book through a TA it tells the ta on Polar online princess booking engine that it can not be reversed. Hope this helps.

Now this is interesting... Am I misreading, or are you saying if we use a TA and cancel a cruise before final payment date we won't get the FCC back, but if we book direct we would?? :confused: If so - doesn't seem fair to TA's.

I would interpret this as that you did actually use your cruise credit when you booked the Royal cruise. If you had not booked it, then you would get a refund on your unused cruise credit.

I may be wrong, but this is how I think that Princess is regarding this, and therefore as it was "used" when you booked the cruise, they therefore aren't obliged to refund it.

I am sorry you had to cancel and hope you can cruise again soon.

In the past, an FCC that was used on a booking which was later cancelled was put back in your account to be used on another cruise. I believe you could do this twice and then the FCC cost was automatically refunded and you lost out on the OBC. But at no time did you lose the cost of the FCC.

The OP should check to see if the FCC is re-banked in their My Princess account and if it is, they can call Princess directly to cancel it and be refunded the cost. I think the 'issue' here is that the TA cannot direct the FCC inside of the booking...but the OP can once it is returned to them.

Now this is interesting... Am I misreading, or are you saying if we use a TA and cancel a cruise before final payment date we won't get the FCC back, but if we book direct we would?? :confused: If so - doesn't seem fair to TA's.

This was a deposit not an OBC and should be refunded like any other deposit is before final payment. My TA is looking into it further and if she does not get it back I will call Princess directly.

On my Captains Club Acct it is shown as a future cruise deposit. There are also OBC's that I understand I will lose, but am fully expecting to get the deposit back as I will not be able to cruise within the 4 year timeframe and canceled way before the final payment was due

This was a deposit not an OBC and should be refunded like any other deposit is before final payment. My TA is looking into it further and if she does not get it back I will call Princess directly.
I agree. I'd call Princess directly and ask two things: can you extend the FCC another year or two; or, can you get a refund. This is the first I've heard about an FCC being non-refundable so something doesn't sound right.

This was a deposit not an OBC and should be refunded like any other deposit is before final payment.

We understand that, but, as suggested - go to your My Princess account.. it may already show up there. If not and your TA can't resolve the issue, call Princess - as I know you will !! ;) Let us know how it turns out.

When I tried to use a FCC a few months ago I was told that normally it would be refundable if I canceled, however the cruise I was looking to use it on was a sale and if I applied it, it would be non refundable. I ended up using it on a different cruise so there was no issue.

Last year I had to cancel two cruises that I had reserved with FCCs. I canceled both cruises and then told Princess to refund the FCCs to my credit card. They did with no argument.

Worst case If you were to have waited 4 years from the date you bought it, it would be refunded automatically. Princess does not keep FCCs. That is one of the bonuses of buying one.

Truthfully, it sounds like your TA is trying to get you to book another cruise. I agree, call Princess tomorrow, tell them to refund the FCCs, and then call your TA and tell them they are fired.

2 years ago we had a cruise booked using a future cruise credit and paid in full. 2weeks before the cruise departure I was admitted to hospital and forced to cancel. Because we had trip cancellation we did get our money refunded. A small amount of reimbursement came from Princess. Thinking that our FCC would be returned to just that, we were surprised to see that in crediting our credit card we also received the FCC credited to the card. ...thus cancelling the FCC. We did not lose the $100 each

On our recent cruise on the Crown, on the booking confirmation from Princess it stated the following:

************** IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THIS BOOKING *******************

THE DEPOSIT OF THE FARE YOU HAVE SELECTED

IS 100% NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE.

UPON PAYMENT, NO PORTION OF THE DEPOSIT IS REFUNDABLE FOR ANY REASON.

Above that it said something about a 5-day sale, and the deposit was not refundable.

This was not a "sale." It looks like your standard, run of the mill, FCC one purchases while on ship.

While on our last Emerald cruise in 2010 my husband and I did a $200 future cruise deposit to be used before 4/14. We had booked a cruise on the Royal for Nov this year but have unfortunately had to cancel. We will not be able to take advantage of the $200 deposit before the allowed time so I requested the deposit back. My travel agent just informed me Princess will not refund the deposit but we can use it for another cruise. When we made this FCC it clearly stated is was fully refundable if canceled before final payment or unable to use before required date. Has anyone else had this problem getting their FCC refunded?

This was not a "sale." It looks like your standard, run of the mill, FCC one purchases while on ship.

If the standard, run-of-the-mill FCC is used as a deposit during a sale in which a cancelled cruise means loss of deposit, then the initial cost of the FCC will be lost if the booking is cancelled.

However, the OP did not indicate the booking was made during this type of sale, so the FCC should be fully refundable.

Edited by caribill

• 4 years later...

We put a deposit down 2 weeks ago and decided we want to take the earlier cruise. (Booked 15 oct want to take the 4th Oct). princess is REFUSING to apply the credit to the other (more expensive) cruise!!!!

We can hardly believe this is happening. Has this happened to anyone else. If this is their policy I will NEVER CRUISE with them.

My dad had to back out a week prior to sailing, due to sever back issues. About a month afterwards or so, I received a check in the mail for the FCD. I originally was hoping the FCD was going to be put back under his name so we would not lose out on it for another future cruise. What to do. Just grateful I was given the money back in some form.