Australian Visa

Hello Lorraine & Bill - We thought that was you. Sounds like you guys had a great B.I. return cruise - excellent. And - taking care of all that cruise group stuff is a bunch of work but, well worth it - good for you. Funny thing - just yesterday Sandy & I were looking at some B.I. photos and there you and Bill are at the Blarney Castle entrance along with Barbara & Craig and another photo of you taking a pix of Bill kissing the stone. Small world. Our Australia cruise is also in 2016 - but this time March on Dawn Princess. Thanks for your prompt follow-up - take care. Fred

I am booked on the QV's world cruise. I spoke to a rep from Cunard and he told me that the ship has taken care of the ETA for us. Do you think it limits us to be used only with the ship"s excursions or allows us access to come and go as we see fit?

I am booked on the QV's world cruise. I spoke to a rep from Cunard and he told me that the ship has taken care of the ETA for us. Do you think it limits us to be used only with the ship"s excursions or allows us access to come and go as we see fit?

The latter.

• 11 months later...
We will be disembarking our cruise in Sydney and spending two nights before leaving Australia less than 72 hours total. Is the transit visa the correct one for us?

I assume you are a U.S. citizen. As such, according to the official Australian government website for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, U.S. citizens may transit Australia (for up to 72 hours) without obtaining a visa.

HOWEVER, this option applies only if you are entering Australia by air. Since you are entering Australia by sea, you will need to apply for either a Transit Visa (Subclass 771) or you could apply for an ETA. If you compare the two, you will see that just applying for the ETA is a WHOLE lot easier.

Here's the relevant language regarding transiting Australia and transit visas:

https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/do-i-need-a-visa-to-transit-through-australia

We will be disembarking our cruise in Sydney and spending two nights before leaving Australia less than 72 hours total. Is the transit visa the correct one for us?
Notes:

If passengers are required to pass through Immigration clearance and check-in to their onward flight, including managing their luggage, they will require a visa to enter Australia.

An appropriate visa for this purpose will need to be applied for and granted before travelling to Australia.

There are limited transit facilities available at the Gold Coast airport (OLD).

Overnight stays are not permitted at Cairns (CNS) and Sydney (SYD) airports.

Passengers transiting overnight will need an appropriate visa for Australia to leave the airport to access overnight accommodation.

THE SAME would apply by ship..

Edited by jannandjohn

But an ETA would do the job for anyone who is eligible, and is a great deal easier than applying for a formal visa (as GradUT says).

TOTALLY agree..

on my latest cruise rollcall, US citzs are asking about visas for Aus.

I have put on the correct ETA link by the aus gov.

but some of the Americans insist on using "fly by night" visa services, who charge 3 x more..'

I just dont get it.:confused:

Edited by jannandjohn