Bermuda beach warning

FIRELT5

i wonder if the beaches will be cleaned by june..hmm

The Govt of Bermuda needs to build a sewage plant to handle this. Everything is pumped several miles off shore. When you have moderate east to southeast winds for a sustained period of time, hello tarballs.

It is weird that I went directly to the US consulate Website for Bermuda and could find no mention of this. Took a look at the listings for travel Alerts and Warnings for all countries and could find nothing for Bermuda.

Maybe I just couldn't find it. I wonder if the water is monitored regularly and warnings posted and then lifted as conditions warrant. That is what is done for beaches in my area on Lake Michigan.

i wonder if the beaches will be cleaned by june..hmm

This is much more serious than cleaning a beach.

Bermuda needs to research, fund and build new ways of dealing with their sewage. Right now it is pumped off-shore and released in to the ocean. Tides and currents then wash it up on shore. It's been this way for a long time and will take a long time to fix.

BTW, many coastal communities along the east coast of the United States also dump their sewage off shore. It's a common practice and sometimes leads to warnings to avoid certain beaches.

Is the south shore where Norwegian ships dock??

No it's the west end of the Island. All or most of the popular beaches are on the South Shore.

The ships dock in the West End, but the South Shore beaches including Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay and Elbow Beach are by far the most popular beaches for cruise passengers (and other visitors to Bermuda too).

Probably the vast majority of passengers on NCL and other ships berthed at Dockyard go to one or more of South Shore beaches at some time during their visit.

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you for posting the latest article. Of course Bermuda officials are going to say the water us safe for us to swim and snorkel in.

I'm still worried.

We go this July.

If anyone hears/sees anything else, please let us know. Thanks.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006