Why do people cruise to the same place over and over again?

quovadimis

I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?

I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?

When I did excursions there were always so many more things to do that couldn't be done in just one visit to the island.

Now I cruise for the ship and don't really care where we go. If I get off the ship at all it's just to wander around the port area, have something to eat or drink and people watch.

Some of us like doing what we know. In most ports there are new things to do or some of us just like being on the ship, cruising to anywhere. We have sailed on one ship 4 times. We did this mainly because we received a very good price that we did not want to pass up.

Because people like "the ride".

IMHO...if I really wanted to visit someplace...I'd take a land vacation. Being on a cruise gives you only limited time in a port and doesn't even guarantee getting into the port.

Although I do prefer "different ports".....the specific ports themselves are secondary.

Sometimes it's not about the destination. it's about the million enjoyable things while cruising. Sometimes people really like a place and want to keep going back. Sometimes its the economics. Why should it matter to you?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Lack of other options. When you're locked into a certain time of year and a certain few departure ports, and then add in a price point, voila- welcome to the same ports. I've done the NY-Port Canaveral-Nassau-Great Stirrup Cay so much that I could be relied upon as a backup navigator :rolleyes:. Now off I go to the Maritime Provinces again. I really can't fly myself and a spouse or a couple of kids from the northeast to Seattle or Civitavecchia in July without adding many thousands to the price. When I sail alone with DH in the off season we have a little flexibility and reach a little- a little ;).

To be honest there is only so much of a country you can experience when you stop at the port for a few hours. If I really wanted to know what Greece is like, a land-based vacation would probably be a better option than a Mediterranean cruise. But most cruisers simply love being on a ship, so this is the main consideration.

Maybe people have a favorite beach, restaurant or like the climate in a certain part of the world.

I know a lot of people who go on the same land vacation every year - a resort or cabin somewhere .. or Disney World 10 years in a row (!!!) because they don't want to take a risk and are happy with what they are familiar with.

I do agree with you though - we love to explore new places on our cruises. I am looking forward to a world cruise to the Far East when/if we retire :)

There are so many different things to see and do on most of the islands. We use to do a lot of beach excursions, now we do excursions that focus on history and architecture. For example, I can't imagine doing the beaches at Cozumel, but missing the ruins.

Some of the islands I can agree that once is enough, but it is more a product of your initial experience there, not that there is only one thing to see or do!

I would prefer to go to the same places over and over again. I am not one that would like to cruise to Alaska, just not my cup of tea. Plus I love the Caribbean, so I'm happy with cruising to those destinations over and over again. If I'm on a ship where there are palm trees, sand, water, and sun I'm happy!:)

Thanks for your responses everybody. I see there are many different reasons, some I never thought of. We cruise for the ports and like the easiness of a floating hotel but not everybody does :)

And to croooze, thanks for reminding me why I usually don't post on cc and just keep my questions and comments to myself. Does it matter to me...yes, or I wouldn't have asked. I was interested and curious and thought I'd ask and see if anyone was willing to answer and thankfully nice people did.

Can do 2-3 Caribbean cruises for 1 Europe one.

Having said this we are thinking we are about done with 1 week Caribbean and if we can get reasonable price air will start doing 2 week European cruises starting next year.

Thanks for your responses everybody. I see there are many different reasons, some I never thought of. We cruise for the ports and like the easiness of a floating hotel but not everybody does :)

And to croooze, thanks for reminding me why I usually don't post on cc and just keep my questions and comments to myself. Does it matter to me...yes, or I wouldn't have asked. I was interested and curious and thought I'd ask and see if anyone was willing to answer and thankfully nice people did.

You asked a question and croooze asked one in return, nothing wrong with either question, really:).

I can only answer for myself but we've done the same itinerary because 1) it's all we could afford or 2) because it's the only itinerary we can do because we can drive to the departure port (which kind goes back to reason 1). Someday when the kids are on their own we will be able to travel to different ports and experience different itineraries.

I like to mix the itineraries up but there is just only so many to chose from and as a result sometimes we end up going back to a place we've been to before. What we do try and do is do something different when we go to a place that we really are not that keen on. For instance last time we went to Cozumel (our third time) we went to a resort out on San Juan beach and had a great time.

I cruise for the ship, not for the ports.
I'm getting like that myself.

Have always found The Ship to be one of the destinations.

Now it's getting like The Ship IS The Destination.

But I also find myself wondering why some people are constantly seeking novelty.

Do they cruise a different ship each time, as well?

Maybe they'll run out of new/different ships? :eek:

and that'll be the end of their cruising career until a fancy new-build comes along?

To me the ports visited on a cruise are like previews of possible land vacations. You can't possibly see enough in your short time there to really see much of anything other than highlights. Of course there are exceptions, but they are very few. The cruise is more the destination than the ports.

It's no different than land vacationing in the same place over and over again.

For us it is the convenience of being able to drive to Galveston & the price points for the 5 day. We go a day early & stay a day at the end. It takes us several trips to get to do all the different things offered at a certain destination.

We are just simply addicted to cruising. Every cruise even on the same ship & itinerary is a new experience.

This time I am finally going to get around to KaoKao & Behind the Fun.

For us it's vacation schedules and ship availability. Although I get 4 weeks I can only take 1 at a time which pretty much knocks Europe out for us. Sure I could make the ship probably but between jet lag and the rush I'm just not willing to do it. I'd love to do a Baltic or Scandinavian cruise but its just not in the cards unfortunately.

The second part is ships. We cruise usually in April and September with a short cruise maybe thrown in somewhere else along the lines. April gives is great choices but September really only leaves CCL and RCCL in the Caribbean and they only do the same old same old.

That said even though you repeat a Western (or Eastern) Caribbean itinerary doesn't mean you are going to the exact same places. Sure it's practically impossible to get on a ship and not wind up in Cozumel or Nassau, both of which I could never see again and be perfectly fine but usually you can sneak in at least one new port in a week.

I personally love sea days. The ports I enjoy but it's being at sea that keeps me cruising. Not just the ship, staying on the ship in port isn't the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's the same reason I have been to Florida multiple times. I haven't seen all there is to see yet. As my kids grow, the experiences we are able to do are different. The first time we cruised they were 7 and 9, we were more limited in excursions and time we could really spend out doing things. They had more fears, needed more hand holding. This next cruise, they are adventure seekers. They can't wait to see and do it all.

The cruise we are planning for 2015 will likely go back to the Western Caribbean. Yes we have been to Honduras, Belize, Grand Cayman and Cozumel but the family that we are traveling with has not been to any of those places and we would love to go back. And we love spending time on the ships.