Cosol Tours Island Tour

katjoeus

We did the tour with Cosol 10 years ago and I still talk about it. It was the best tour of any that we have been on. It seems like it has changed some but not too much. The cost has about doubled since then but that is to be expected. We also had Yellow Bird and he was very pleasant and entertaining. Enjoy!!!:D

Hi can anyone tell me what the boat ride is like from Castries to the pitons on a land and water trip, one of our party suffers from vertigo so just wondering if the sea is rough or if the speed of the boat makes is very bouncy.

Thanks

Hi can anyone tell me what the boat ride is like from Castries to the pitons on a land and water trip, one of our party suffers from vertigo so just wondering if the sea is rough or if the speed of the boat makes is very bouncy.

Thanks

Probably best to ask in a new post as its unrelated to Cosol's tour

The ride via sea very much depends on what type of boat you go via and Sea conditions that day - which are quite tough to predict in advance. A large catamaran will be smoother than a small speedboat, but both will be rough rides if the seas are rough... Best to have your friend/party member be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Or consider different excursions. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those who have taken the tour with Cosol, how close to the "all-aboard" time (not the actual sailing time) were you back onboard? What happens if there is a traffic delay (or anything else, for that matter), that causes you to arrive after the ship has sailed? I have read that most third party tour operators guarantee that you will be returned to the ship on time, but what exactly does that mean? What do they do for you if, heaven forbid, the ship sails without you? I am seriously considering this tour, but need some facts/reassurance to present to my skeptical husband. [emoji4]

It's my fault -- I have to stop entertaining him with the "pier runner" videos on YouTube. [emoji23]

We were back in plenty of time to walk around the shops in the port area and take our time boarding with time to spare. They've been doing it long enough to know how to schedule the tour and I have never heard of Cosol returning anyone late. As to their guarantee. Not sure what that entails l.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those who have taken the tour with Cosol, how close to the "all-aboard" time (not the actual sailing time) were you back onboard? What happens if there is a traffic delay (or anything else, for that matter), that causes you to arrive after the ship has sailed? I have read that most third party tour operators guarantee that you will be returned to the ship on time, but what exactly does that mean? What do they do for you if, heaven forbid, the ship sails without you? I am seriously considering this tour, but need some facts/reassurance to present to my skeptical husband. [emoji4]

It's my fault -- I have to stop entertaining him with the "pier runner" videos on YouTube. [emoji23]

You'd have to check with Cosol for what his specific guarantee may be.

In general, many operators offer a guarantee similar to the cruise line, that is: they get you back on time, or they are responsible for getting you to the next port of call, with any attendant costs.

It's quite rare for people to miss the ship due to reputable independent operators. Those pier runners are more often those who've been browsing or shopping or drinking on their own and lost track of time, or those who didn't pay attention to ship time vs local time, etc. Independent operators make their living with cruise visitors - getting people back late would put them out of business!!

Keep in mind, the shop can't always wait for their guests either. Their guarantee is to get you back on time, or to get you to the next port of call...Sometimes, the ship can't wait, ie tides, distance to travel, port personnel, etc.

On a small island like St Lucia, it would take something pretty extraordinary to have a tour operator get you back late - and it would affect more than one operator, including those contracted to the ship tours...

I wouldn't hesitate, Cosol has been doing this for many, many years - how many reviews have you read of him getting his guests back late??

Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at this tour for a cruise in January '18, wondering if you feel rushed or like it's a lot in one day. Looks like a great tour but it seems like lots of stops. Also, how large is the tour group.

Thanks!

There are a lot of stops but I felt that you got more then enough time for each stop. (with the exception of beach time between the Pitons but I could have spent all day there ha! ) It was very organized chaos. Such a great excursion. As far as the size goes you are with a van full of folks as your group. There are other vans that meet at a few locations but you are ultimately with your van sized group most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by dividedsky

I've done Cosol's tour twice. The first time was May 2009. To get to the beach between the Pitons, we were in a tiny boat with an outboard motor and two teens "driving." We were in the back and were pretty much just barely sitting out of the water. Not a lifevest in sight. For a couple of non-swimmers, it was a tad unnerving. But it was fine. Just another "adventures in foreign travel" is how I look at it!

Last time was in December 2015. No one really wanted to spend time at that beach, but I convinced several people that we should at least take the boat ride over so they could get a close-up look at the Pitons. That boat was a larger one. Not huge, but at least it was more than just a dingy!

Going to be there again in November and I'm going to book with Cosol yet again. It's a great tour. Maybe this time I'll do the mud bath! ;)

Looking at this tour for a cruise in January '18, wondering if you feel rushed or like it's a lot in one day. Looks like a great tour but it seems like lots of stops. Also, how large is the tour group.

Thanks!

I did this tour a few years ago and it was rushed for us. Our driver tried like heck to skip the mud bath place. When a few people said they wanted to stop he was annoyed and kept talking about time. I think he would have made the entrance fee if we didn't stop. There was really a lot and it wasn't overall a bad tour but just a bit too much for a day and too much time in the taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I'm also looking at this one for January '18. I am curious, for those that have done it, do you tip all the food providers at the stops for sampling etc? I'm not adverse to tipping, just want to be prepared. I usually tip the driver but since there will be so many stops with foods and things, I'm wondering...

I did not tip at all the food sampling stops along the way. However we did give the driver a generous tip. We did a private tour. 6 of us in a van. It was great. If we wanted to stay longer or shorter at one place we could. If there is a group of you up to 8, I would inquire about a private tour. Sometimes this is close per person to what you might pay in a bigger group and a lot more roomy.

I did not tip at all the food sampling stops along the way. However we did give the driver a generous tip. We did a private tour. 6 of us in a van. It was great. If we wanted to stay longer or shorter at one place we could. If there is a group of you up to 8, I would inquire about a private tour. Sometimes this is close per person to what you might pay in a bigger group and a lot more roomy.

Thanks, there's just two of us so we'll probably do the group thing.

Hi, I just did the tour last week, and I'd describe it as a highlight of the cruise!

Some caveats:

1. it really is all-day, about 6-7 hours.

2. The roads in St. Lucia are like a rollercoaster - constantly winding left and right, up-and-down hills. It can take some adjusting.

You're in a van with about 10-12 people total. However, at various points, you will meet up with other vans on the tour - when the gigantic feast happens. And that feast was the best part in my opinion! Also, nonstop Piton beer and rum punch all day!

Some parts are a bit rushed, but that's because of the distance traveled, and they definitely want you back to the ship on time. We did everything on the tour's itinerary - my guide was the Yellow Bird, and he was a real pro- answered any and all questions and has clearly been doing this a long time. I ended up buying some banana ketchup to take home too.

You do not have to tip the various vendors that pop up along the way at all.

Hi, I just did the tour last week, and I'd describe it as a highlight of the cruise!

Some caveats:

1. it really is all-day, about 6-7 hours.

2. The roads in St. Lucia are like a rollercoaster - constantly winding left and right, up-and-down hills. It can take some adjusting.

You're in a van with about 10-12 people total. However, at various points, you will meet up with other vans on the tour - when the gigantic feast happens. And that feast was the best part in my opinion! Also, nonstop Piton beer and rum punch all day!

Some parts are a bit rushed, but that's because of the distance traveled, and they definitely want you back to the ship on time. We did everything on the tour's itinerary - my guide was the Yellow Bird, and he was a real pro- answered any and all questions and has clearly been doing this a long time. I ended up buying some banana ketchup to take home too.

You do not have to tip the various vendors that pop up along the way at all.

Thanks for the detailed updated info. This sounds perfect!

I'm also looking at this one for January '18. I am curious, for those that have done it, do you tip all the food providers at the stops for sampling etc? I'm not adverse to tipping, just want to be prepared. I usually tip the driver but since there will be so many stops with foods and things, I'm wondering...

We had the stop for lunch with lots of tables of food, no one particular to tip. The other stops the driver just jumped out, got the samples, and handed them back to us in the taxi. We didn't get out. As I said it was very rushed.

Did anyone else get the island "via-gra" on their tour? We were given shots of Local rum with a bunch of herbs mixed in, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah, they gave us that stuff. I recall it was right when we were getting out of the taxis to go on the boat or something.

Just book it. We are in port 28 Nov on board the Celebrity Summit. We've been on my tours like these on the various cruises we've taken but this one seems like it has the potential to be the best one yet from all the review in here we've been ready!!

Did anyone else get the island "via-gra" on their tour? We were given shots of Local rum with a bunch of herbs mixed in, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That stuff kicked some booty!!! I think they gave it out when we stopped for the bread on the way back to the ship!!!