Navigator cabin position

SANDAS

I am about to book my first cruise on Navigator and have read about the motion and vibration problems so am seeking advice as the best cabin to choose from those currently on offer in our price range. We shall be having a window room on deck 6 and have been offered one closest to mid ship. On other ships we like this position as it is smoothest but advice please as to whether this is true on Navigator which is clearly a quirky ship. would we be better to go as far forward as possible?

The Navigator vibration issues are aft, behind the back elevators. The deck 6 window suites are great. Closest to midship is best. I've stayed in them many times. Love deck 6 as it's close to the hub of the ship, close to the Navigator Lounge.

Edited by NCCruzQueen

Currently onboard Navigator for the second time. Midship deck 6. We've had very rough seas for part of this sailing so motion has been an issue even at this location. I will never book on Navigator again. The vibration issues are a deal breaker for me. The aft vibration in La Veranda and Galileos's is intolerable. Also the public spaces are not sufficient on a full cruise.

I do not often post here but I want to respond to LoonCall's last post. I will not quibble with her assessment of the vibration issue; tolerance for that quirk of the Navigator (and the Voyager) is very personal. My DW and I spent 3 weeks on the Navigator in 2011 on a full cruise, which had 5 full sea days at the start (scheduling problems with first port due to weather). At no time in those 3 weeks did we find the public spaces of this great little ship to be overcrowded or inadequate. Just my opinion....

Poor old Navigator does cop a lot of flak, some justified, some not, so it boils down to your own personal "deal breaker". We experienced the infamous Vibration Problem but it didn't particularly bother us. Perhaps we just aren't as aware or affected by it, but I know that for others it is indeed "intolerable". A bigger problem for us were the sometimes overcrowded and cramped public areas (standing room only on a couple of occasions). As for cabin location, midships is usually a good idea on any ship, especially if you are prone to mal de mer.

The vibration aboard Navigator is much discussed and really very subjective. For us it is not a problem. The only time that we really notice it is during maneuvering for docking or undocking and even then it varies with the Captain. Some are a bit heavy on the throttle and some are a lot more gentle. The 30+ year veteran Master Chief that attempted to teach me seamanship and ship handling had a rule book. Rule #1, Slow and gentle wins the day. Rule #2, go back and reread rule #1 until you grasp it and love it..... We sail all of the Regent ships and they are each unique and ever changing as the passengers change and also the crew.

Suggest you do not go too far forward lest you hear the early morning anchor (and other) noises. We have been in a master suite on the Navigator -- even with all of its luxury, it was one noisy cabin.

Yes -- the Navigator is quirky, has no forward lounge and, depending upon your previous experience on luxury cruise ships, can be very crowded when everyone is on board and the weather outside is not comfortable (again, comparing this to luxury cruise ships only).

It seems that people either want to stress the vibration/stability issues or discount it. The vibration is a fact and, in rough waters, you will probably feel it. Whether it bothers you or not is up to you.

After sailing on both the Navigator and Voyager repeatedly, we finally booked an aft suite (on the Voyager) and can now complicate matters further (as if this is needed:-). The deck you are on and the suite you are in will determine if you hear engine noise or feel the vibration more.

I'm finding it interesting that while we have been on vacation, there are multiple threads about the Navigator. As I have repeatedly said, she is a beautiful ship with nicer suites than the Mariner (except for Mariner's upper level suites). The Regent Experience, the food and the service are the same on all ships. IMO, there is no compelling reason not to give it a try.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks to everyone for their comments. We have never suffered from motion sickness on a cruise ship of any size so I am guessing that the vibration won't particularly bother us. We are going to risk it and book for the Montreal to Miami sailing next October as we love the itinerary which will take us to many places that we have long wanted to visit. This will be our first time with Regent - we usually go Silver Seas- and I will report back afterwards.

My experience with crowding on the Navigator, particularly at the pool deck and pool grill for lunch, is similar to Travelcat and baggywrinkle99. We had 2 sea days in the Carribbean and available outdoor seating was limited or SRO. Something to consider depending on itinerary.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. We have never suffered from motion sickness on a cruise ship of any size so I am guessing that the vibration won't particularly bother us. We are going to risk it and book for the Montreal to Miami sailing next October as we love the itinerary which will take us to many places that we have long wanted to visit. This will be our first time with Regent - we usually go Silver Seas- and I will report back afterwards.

Itinerary is #1 consideration so if you've found one you like then go for it.