Clothing optional

SAEMike

I'll try and be as delicate as possible here. I'm set to sail on the Epic October 16. Our cabin is 9121, which I think is covered. I'm usually a naturist here at home. I'm wondering if it's improper or unacceptable to sit out on my balcony au naturel while we are at sea. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

I'll try and be as delicate as possible here. I'm set to sail on the Epic October 16. Our cabin is 9121, which I think is covered. I'm usually a naturist here at home. I'm wondering if it's improper or unacceptable to sit out on my balcony au naturel while we are at sea. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

I'm fairly certain since the fire on Star princess most cruise ships have at least one CCTV camera hanging off the Bridge wing watching the Balconies so you might give the crew something to look at! lol..

Alternatively there is the clothing optional deck on top of the tophat.. deck 19..

Edited by Single Cruiser

I'm fairly certain since the fire on Star princess most cruise ships have at least one CCTV camera hanging off the Bridge wing watching the Balconies so you might give the crew something to look at! lol..

Alternatively there is the clothing optional deck on top of the tophat.. deck 19..

<g> I don't have a problem with anyone peeking, Craig. But I hear what you're saying. I had heard about the freestyle sunbathing deck but I hadn't been able to get a straight answer on whether it was strictly topless only or if it was CO.

Generally, the security cameras are aimed along the outside of the ship, not into the balconies. The only real risk (if you will) is that friendly but impolite neighbors might decide to peer around the outside of the balcony dividers to say "Oh hi there." I say impolite because it's not much different from if they just walked in your cabin door. Now, if you're standing at the railing au naturale (a lovely way to be), then you can reasonably expect that someone (neighbor or balcony above or security camera) might see you.

beachchick

Sounds like Freestyling to me. IMHO what someone does on their "private" balcony is their own business as long as it is legal, doesn't unduly influence the enjoyment of their neighbors or endanger anyone or the ship. However, if people can see then they will tend to look - its just when they feel a need to comment that it pings my rude-a-meter.

...for the replies everyone! Provided it's still warm enough for me to indulge in going au naturel in the middle of October in the western Med, I'll be taking advantage of some freestyle time. Balcony time was probably going to be early morning to enjoy the passing water as I wake up and then Ill explore the CO deck if it warms up during the day. Can't wait! This will be my first cruise and I'm so looking forward to it.

Mike

The "Freestyle" deck (14) on the gem seemed to be pretty topless. It was actually pretty funny watching some older folks walk up the steps to a bunch of bare boobs. We lost count to the number of "Oh My Gods" and "I Have Never":eek:

In all fairness I think they have some type of sign up "This deck might have nude bathers" Instead of the "Freestyle" deck

DSC00236.jpg.9707c9b6dca639ee740462d98933ea83.jpg

Lazlo - What's does the sign say underneath the Freestyle one? I can't make it out.

ATTENTION

For your own safety please use the handrails and watch your step.

Nothing about being careful of boobs :D

Edited by Laszlo

I think you are entitled to do what you want on your own private balcony as long as it is not against the law

I was in penthouse aft and was naked on my balcony all the time. Unfortunately there is a gap between balconies and the person next to you can see in but thats their problem or opportunity.

When i sailed penthouse forward i wore a speedo since my balcony was right under the bridge. And beleive me the crew looks.

Enjoy!!

People seeing me in my altogether doesn't bother me. Not that I'm an exhibitionist or anything. If they look they look. I'm sure they won't see anything they haven't seen before. I just prefer being au naturel when I can. I think the problem most people have with seeing others like that is that they equate lack of clothing with s e x. I could see that when I worked in the adult-entertainment field. But now it's just about being comfortable, unbound, and relaxed. I know Europeans have a more liberal take on nudity than we Americans. Wish people weren't so uptight and self-righteous about it here.

I lived in Europe for four years and it is normal there for beaches to be topless. In Germany, if you go to the sauna wearing nothing.

My only thought would be that some parents might not like their young children to be surprised.

Then it is up to the parents to manage their children. As long as I'm not doing anything illegal, and I'm on my private balcony, then I don't see how this is an issue. If the kid looks, they look. If the parents don't like me sitting outside au naturel, then it is their issue, not mine. And if I'm up on the Freestyle deck, there are signs that indicate Adults Only, if I'm not mistaken. If kids decide they want to try and be funny and sneak up there, that is an issue for their parents to address, not me.

The "Freestyle" deck (14) on the gem seemed to be pretty topless. It was actually pretty funny watching some older folks walk up the steps to a bunch of bare boobs. We lost count to the number of "Oh My Gods" and "I Have Never":eek:

In all fairness I think they have some type of sign up "This deck might have nude bathers" Instead of the "Freestyle" deck

I went up, but was nobody there.

I enjoy being naked on my balcony. I do it a lot. But I try to make sure my neighbors are not out on their balcony. I've never had anyone peak around, even when clothed. I enjoy it mostly in the early morning and late evening, after dark. And I don't stand up by the rail. At least not for long anyway!! One ship I was on, don't remember which one, had small extenders that stick out from the divider over the railing about 4 inches. That seemed to prevent the neigbors from stealing a glance around the divider.

Enjoy!!!

I enjoy being naked on my balcony. I do it a lot. But I try to make sure my neighbors are not out on their balcony. I've never had anyone peak around, even when clothed. I enjoy it mostly in the early morning and late evening, after dark. And I don't stand up by the rail. At least not for long anyway!! One ship I was on, don't remember which one, had small extenders that stick out from the divider over the railing about 4 inches. That seemed to prevent the neigbors from stealing a glance around the divider.

Enjoy!!!

I would suggest that most if not all are likeminded like myself in that what people do in the privacy of their stateroom/balcony is their own business and very few(if any) are interested in stealing a glance over in the next room

I am enjoying this funny thread!

SAEMike, I think your balcony 9121 is covered, but I also think you overlook the baclonies below?

How opaque are the panels? I prefer to stay clothed, but I pass no judgement on anyone!:)

SAEMike, I looked at room 9121 on

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/index.php

Click on Norwegian, then Epic,

Find "drag decks" on the lower left of the page, and click on that.

All the decks of the Epic will be shown to the same scale on one page. You can move the decks around by dragging it with your mouse.

When you place one deck over another, line up the elevators, and you can see if the balcony above covers you or if you over look the balcony below.

It does look like your balcony is fully covered, but you overlook the balcony below.

Quercus Alba very kindly posted photos of the Epic balconies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus_alba/5923857404/in/set-72157626773388735

Your balcony is forward of this section, but it gives an idea of the situation.