Hamburg Sailaway

Host Hattie

That's a shame, perhaps the excitement has worn off. I don't suppose anything will beat Liverpool in May 2015 but it's always nice when people get excited to see your ship.

Thanks for your help everyone, I am going to go ahead and book the QV trip.

Always had the great Hamburg sailaway on Queen Mary 2 though never on Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria.

I wrote on my blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/10/11/queen-mary-2-scandinavian-explorer/

..."Our early evening departure from Hamburg was the amazing experience we had heard so much about: and one not to be missed. It really is quite amazing how the residents of Hamburg and the towns along the banks of the River Elbe throng along the banks, flags waving"

10191120433_51f1f1f189_z.jpg

...and my short video passing the Hotel louis Jacob...

(Please excuse my wife's musical accompaniment) :D:D

Thanks for sharing the experience with us! And thank your wife for the musical accompaniment! We have our fingers crossed that the good people of Hamburg will give us such a rousing send off. I suppose Monday evening at 5p.m. is not really the best time, though!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In 2013, we had adjusted a European itinerary so that we could begin our return crossing on QM2 in Hamburg...specifically to witness the rousing Sailaway. Unfortunately, QM2 was delayed in arriving from Norway because of North Sea weather. We didn't embark till 6pm, and didn't depart till well after midnight...to a silent sailaway. Graciously, the Fairmont hotel gave us a late checkout, and we stayed there till 4pm.

But, we were at our usual station on the Observation deck (11 deck below the Bridge) toasting the silent sailaway on our favorite ship.

We will be there again, with our bottle of wine, on November 3rd...hoping for a gala sailaway with music and whistles...

Cheers,

Bob & Beatrice Ring

Hi Scotswoman, I am sure you get your great sail away, as Cunard has sended out E-Mails for the special occasion of the August 21. sail out of Hamburg with a little harbour cruise of the beloved QM2 first- so I am sure there will be a great song and dance, which give always something special to a sailaway. Germans love the Cunard Queens and the Proud Mary especially. We sailed out of Kiel in June this year on a 14 day voyage through the Baltic. Britannia left just right before us- and that really was a silent sailaway- even though it was the Kieler Woche. Then " we" sailed out of Kiel ( Queen Elizabeth) - wouw that really was a well attended sail away- with the waterfountain boots ahead of us. Mrs. Captain constantly sounding the horn!

Solent Richard- I so like your videos- the music was so matching and fantastic- compliments to your wife! What better matches sucha a sailway then Elgars Hope and Glory!

That's very kind of you German Cruiser. I'll pass your compliments on to my wife who has now joined the Portsmouth Military Wives Choir.

We are in Hamburg soon but also not on a cruise ship. We are attending a wedding of a German couple that we met on another cruise.

Hi Scotswoman, I am sure you get your great sail away, as Cunard has sended out E-Mails for the special occasion of the August 21. sail out of Hamburg with a little harbour cruise of the beloved QM2 first- so I am sure there will be a great song and dance, which give always something special to a sailaway. Germans love the Cunard Queens and the Proud Mary especially. We sailed out of Kiel in June this year on a 14 day voyage through the Baltic. Britannia left just right before us- and that really was a silent sailaway- even though it was the Kieler Woche. Then " we" sailed out of Kiel ( Queen Elizabeth) - wouw that really was a well attended sail away- with the waterfountain boots ahead of us. Mrs. Captain constantly sounding the horn!

Hi Germancruiser,

Thanks for your encouraging words. We will be staying with friends in Hamburg for three days before our cruise, and are really looking forward to visiting the city. Last time I was there was on a school trip from Greenock High School in 1965.... so I guess there will be some changes![emoji4]

Morven

Solent Richard- thats one of the great things about a voyage or any other holiday- meeting total strangers who become wonderful friends - I met my very best friends on board Celebrity´s Millenium- and thats 12 years ago and we cruise togehter every year and meet either in their hometown or in ours. What a wonderful reason to visit the great city Hamburg!

Have a wonderful stay in Hamburg and after that on your voyage on board the Mary. Ohhh yes you will find some changes here and there- the new Philamornie not to be missed. ( well you can hardly miss as it is a very distinctive buildung - and as bonus you sail just past her, when you leave Hamburg on board) ! My favorite walk is along the famous fishmarket then to the Landungsbrücken from there to new Elb- Philharmony! Let us know how you liked your voyage on board the Proud Mary!

Well- anywhere out on deck where you can stroll from starboard to port side- and visa verse! Deck 7/8 aft- or the ne upperdeck closer to the bow- where the new cabins have been installed last years- very popular also during sailaway! Indoors- the Commodore Lounge will be nice- but thats just for very very inclement weather! Have fun!

Thanks for all your help, Germancruiser. I am wondering if you have any experience of embarking/disembarking in Hamburg when the great majority of passengers are coming from/returning to Southampton. Does that complicate things for those of us boarding in Hamburg? For example can I turn up earlier than 3p.m. and have hopes of getting on board? Also, I am planning to buy online shuttle tickets for the return journey to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, since we had a dreadful experience in Belfast earlier this year, standing for over an hour to get a taxi because the shuttle queue was miles long! Is it safe to book for around 10a.m.? Or do they force disembarkation guests to leave very early morning before the sighseeing passengers get off? Our train doesn't leave until midday.

Just one more question if I may. Does Cunard seat all people who booked in Germany at "German-speaking" tables at dinner? Or do they try to have "mixed - nationality " tables? I'm not worried either way, really, just curious! And, as they say, variety is the spice of life!

You are very welcome Scotswoman- I got so many help and insides on these boards it´s great I can help out also. I think there will be no problem for you to embark at around 12 or 1 pm. To leave for the Hauptbahnhof at around 10 am is a very good time- you sure to dissembarked by then and so you have plenty of time to catch your train- since the Main Station ( Hauptbahnhof ) is just 20 minutes the longest!

My experience is they seat German speaking passengers together- I always ask for an international table- as you, I am all for the " spice of life" ! Seldom I got one- so ended up with German´s all around- esp. when sailing into our out of a German port!

I really have nothing agains my German kinsmen- but they can be a triffle unerving - as I said I love to speak to fellow passengers from all over the world. I met such wonderful friends on board ships from all over the world be it from England, Australia, USA , Canada - and wonders over wonder- Hamburg- LOL!

I would love to hear from you when you are back- how everything worked out!

Greetings

Michael

You are very welcome Scotswoman- I got so many help and insides on these boards it´s great I can help out also. I think there will be no problem for you to embark at around 12 or 1 pm. To leave for the Hauptbahnhof at around 10 am is a very good time- you sure to dissembarked by then and so you have plenty of time to catch your train- since the Main Station ( Hauptbahnhof ) is just 20 minutes the longest!

My experience is they seat German speaking passengers together- I always ask for an international table- as you, I am all for the " spice of life" ! Seldom I got one- so ended up with German´s all around- esp. when sailing into our out of a German port!

I really have nothing agains my German kinsmen- but they can be a triffle unerving - as I said I love to speak to fellow passengers from all over the world. I met such wonderful friends on board ships from all over the world be it from England, Australia, USA , Canada - and wonders over wonder- Hamburg- LOL!

I would love to hear from you when you are back- how everything worked out!

Greetings

Michael

Good morning German Cruiser.

At the risk of going 'Off Topic' please allow me to say that I have shared many tables with your German kinsmen and have never been unnerved by the company.

Indeed, we recently experienced a cruise where we were the only 'Brits' on a German ship and we had an outstanding time and certainly never felt 'left out'. A previous cruise on that same ship forged a great friendship and in a couple of weeks time we head for Hamburg for their wedding.

15392851045_f982931b0f_z.jpg

One of the joys of cruising is the international coming together.

Hi Richard,

oh I agree- I also met my now best friends on a German speaking table ( Germans) . I just love to meet international fellow cruisers. You said so aptly- the coming together of people from all Nations is the best that comes of cruising.

I am still in touch with friends from Australia, Switzerland, Canada and of course - England! Our wonderful English friends showed us so many wonderful places in Britain, we would never have seen as mere tourists- way up North in Northumberland- Hadrians Wall and so on..!

My you choose one of Hapag´s Europa´s - thats is very high class and upscale- if I remember right, No.2 Europa is the more casual one- with the same high standards as her sister Europa! Thanks for the picture! Seems you had much fun!

Greetings

Michael

Hi to everyone, especially Germancruiser,

Just home from the cruise of the Norwegian fjords. We were given a wonderful tour of the harbour area in Hamburg on the QM2, sailing regally past the Elbphilharmonie; and the good people of the city turned out in droves to give us a rollicking send -off!

We had truly remarkable weather to enjoy the magnificent scenery in the fjords. All in all a very enjoyable cruise, highlighted by the company of two delightful Irish ladies at dinner!

Morven

Welcome back Morven- and thank you for letting us know how the Sail away out of Hamburg was on board the Mary! The harbour - tour of the Mary got a huge press attention- for the first time the new landmark and the Mary could be seen in one picture. So you were witness to a little history! Great that you had a wonderful Fjords- cruise- we are planing on doing the same next year in June!

Greetings

Michael

We were also on the QM2 sail away from Hamburg on 21st August and the send off was amazing with Land of Hope and Glory and God Save The Queen being played from the shore. The Fjords cruise which followed was also fabulous with great weather and scenery and also a couple of great send offs from Norwegian ports of call

• 2 weeks later...

We just experienced the sail away at Hamburg and I was blown away. The Captain actually took the ship up river to the area where everyone gathers on that weird shaped building. He turned her around in a very narrow place and we sailed back past all the folks. Further down they played "Land of Hope and Glory" and "God Save the Queen" It was all a total sup;rized to us and a lot of fun.