GeoCaching and Cruising

Geocachi

We just got home from a long cruise where we geocached in Vietnam, Spain, Norway, The Faroe Islands, Iceland, and Newfoundland. I loaded the coordinates before we left and used our Kindle to access the web for clues if we had trouble finding the cache. It worked pretty well.

Our next cruise is Alaska and we'll try there, too.

We asked the CD on the cruise for a Geocache get together. About a dozen folks showed up and we had a good chat. Mostly, people were interested in getting more info. I think we were the only ones who were caching.

While Geocaching we saw some great, non touristy, places.

Cheers, Dee and John

We asked the CD on the cruise for a Geocache get together. About a dozen folks showed up and we had a good chat. Mostly, people were interested in getting more info. I think we were the only ones who were caching.

I'm curious as to how your get together was advertised/promoted? Depending on one's outlook, a dozen curious people is either disappointing:( or encouraging:). Were the attendees just "curious" or did they really want to learn about geocaching? Did you recruit any more players?

After speaking with a cruise enhancement lecturer on our last cruise, I started thinking that a formal presentation on geocaching would be a great cruise subject. Based on your discussion with the CD, do you think that a lecture would be welcomed?

Any thoughts from others about such a lecture? And, even as geoachers, would you attend such a lecture to (a) learn more about the game, (b) meet fellow cachers, and/or © plan group geocaching activities?

Hi CruiseCacher - we were on a small ship - 600 pax so I thought the turn out was OK. It was listed in the Princess Patter. Some folks had cached, some had friends who cached, all knew something about caching. I was hoping to meet some experienced cachers since we just started this year, but that didn't happen. Yes, I'd go hear a talk on geocaching. Much more interesting than living trusts!

Good luck if you do decide to do a presentation.

Cheers,

Dee

…we were on a small ship - 600 pax so I thought the turn out was OK.
Yes; considering the size of the ship I think that a dozen geocachers is fantastic! Hey, on our ship of 2,800 only about 30 people showed up for the cruise enhancement lecturer. So, I’m encouraged to think that a geocaching seminar would be welcomed.

…I was hoping to meet some experienced cachers since we just started this year, but that didn't happen…
Well, before waiting for my cruise lecture (that may be a long way off ;)), check out the events calendar on geocaching.com for a nearby event. We have attended a couple and they are both fun and informative.

Thanks for your feedback,

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellow CC Geocachers!

It's been a while since I've geocached, but I was trying to think of something fun to do on our upcoming cruise in October aboard the CB since we're going to some ports of call that neither my husband or I have ever been to before. Definitely check out Geocaching.com if you're interested to see what's out there!

Also, I question for you all - has anyone used the Columbus app on their droid for caching? I've got a small handheld GPSr which really does the trick for our needs, but I was just wondering how the apps fair out in the field. This might be a stupid question BUT, I was wondering, I have t-Mobile US (we live in Rochester, NY), if I'm in Bermuda, will I be able to use my phone's GPS even if I don't have cell phone signal? I think the two operate independently, but I don't know.

Thanks!

S

I have never geocached on a cruise...I tried on my first one to Western Carib on Freedom of the Seas last year, but never had time. I am going to Canada in 2 weeks on Carnival, so I will definitely try then. I have downloaded 3 or 4 caches in the 2 ports (St. John and Halifax) to my Garmin already. Another cool thing about having your GPSr on board is that you can watch your route as you travel, and see where you are in the ocean.

I am also going to try and move a TB or geocoin. Is there a way to find out if there is a TB that wants to go to a certain place, so you can go get it and bring it with you to drop?

Good luck to all cachers out there!

• 3 weeks later...

I am working on a personal "cache a day" challenge and hoped to reach 100 days before taking a break.... just realized that day 98 will be "at sea" on our Canada/New England cruise next month. Does anyone know of a cache that might lend itself to being solved/logged on an "at sea" day with no port visits?:(

I am working on a personal "cache a day" challenge and hoped to reach 100 days before taking a break.... just realized that day 98 will be "at sea" on our Canada/New England cruise next month...

I thought that I had your problem solved after discovering the "Atlantic Ocean" cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4450529f-9aab-4517-a8c6-b804d536c7cf

Its description reads like that for an earthcache but, oddly, it is posted as a traditional cache.:confused: Perhaps the CO could either change it to an earthcache or create another one as an earthcache. Or, perhaps you can create the earthcache yourself. Wouldn't that be even more exciting -- to place a cache while on a ship!:D

Please post the result of your investigation. I'm planning to take the same cruise next year.

• 3 months later...

I was thinking caching on ship would be great for the kids....it is just a glorified scavengar hunt anyway.....we have a group of 20 kids that would love to keep logs and see how far they get with them...... wondering?????

Maybe just for the week we are on the Freedom in February I could hide a few to get them started wkith clues and they could have to find them....Ill ask them if they would thiknk this would be great....magnet ones would work fanstastic since everything seems metal but then I just thought I could make a window cling with a hidden message and slap it onto any glass or window for the week.....dang now Im getting excited!!!!!

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just had to respond. I have been a cacher for a long time and I love to cache on vacations. It takes me to some unique places. We are going on a Princess cruise to Alaska this summer, so I have several caches picked out for Seattle and along the Klondike Hwy in Skagway. We will be able to add the Yukon, BC and Washington to our caching map. It would be neat to meet other cachers on a cruise. As one poster mentioned, you can use your GPSr to see where you are on the ocean. Have you ever used it on an airplane? You can see exactly where you are flying over.

Thanks for the cache idea, Dorinda. After I posted, I realized I should have asked if anyone could recommend any caches. Know any other good ones in Skagway, Ketchikan or Juneau?

Barb

My caching name is Bobada, also.

Here are a few good ones - close by and interesting. Have fun!

the Mountain King - Juneau

Juneau Coin & Token Reserve

Bin Caching TB Hotel - Ketchikan

Ladybug's Skagway Travel Bug/Coin Exchange Cache

Klondike KD - Skagway

Cheers,

Dee

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The April cruise sounds fun but we plan our cruises around our kids school schedules. Keep us in mind if you plan another one.

I always find it amazing how many people are caching from the ships with us. It us rare that you don't run into another cacher.

I wish I was on a geocaching cruise at this very moment instead of 8 months out from my next cruise.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I geocache on every cruise, including placing some caches on the islands where there is a need for more. I usually end up giving a small lecture on board to our dinner table guests, and there have even been folks who wanted more information, so I was thinking of setting up a workshop through the CD. Perhaps on these next 2 cruises since there are 4 of us from Ottawa sailing the Caribbean this time.

We are model12, Aldy, Flyguy35 and RDLtrekker on geocaching.com.

My wife and I geocache on every cruise ... We are model12, Aldy, Flyguy35 and RDLtrekker on geocaching.com.
We geocache on every cruise, too...

I see that you'll be in St Thomas & Nassau soon. We found GCTM6Z & GCHBMC in St Thomas while visiting on the Oasis in Oct'10. We found GCC413 & GC2CXZQ & GCC418 & GCC41F while in Nassau on the Oasis in Oct'10. We found GCD77E & GC1CD3X while in Nassau on the Monarch in Nov'11...

We are Mike&Marcia!

Edited by memassey

• 3 months later...

While on the RC Enchantment of the Seas in 2009 we nabbed two caches. This one was our favorite:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache http://www.geocaching.com/imagesL]Pursuit of Art http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1892F#"]GC1892F http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1892F This cache is a bit of a walk but you will love the view. We had to give in and ask the shopkeeper for help. When we spotted it we were quite embarrassed. What a cool cache container, which, by the way, you can purchase at this shop like we did.

This is a super easy one to find right near where our ship docked:

http://www.geocaching.com GCE29E http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx"]4.gif[/url]

Grand Cayman Heroes

We are doing the Pacific Coastal Cruise on the Norwegian Pearl April 29th.

Edited by little-doc g
pasted some pictures that didn't paste correctly

I am leavng for a cruise at the end of the week. Does anyone know where I can find coordinates for caches in ports of call?? I would love to get a few international caces while out and about.

Just go to http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?ll=49.28809,-123.12028 then type in the location you plan to visit. You don't need to pay for membership unless you want to access the member only caches. Doc&jo from Oregon

Where are you headed Hammock Hanger? I usually post a few possible cache GC's for the ports when I head out for a cruise. If you happen to be going to one that I have hit, i may be able to give you a few pointers. There may be other s who can do the same.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...