Stopping complimentary afternoon tea in mdr?

davenew

Strange me? Never! ;p

The chefs parade is nowhere near as important and they don't wave the napkins unless my eyes are playing up. No prom deck on Britannia (we like her) but it is sad. Afternoon tea will disappear me thinks and re Champagne Fountain ------- well, all of those P&O cruises Dai compared to us, and we have seen something you haven't :p

Why is the chefs parade not important? People always wave their napkins. I always think it is daft.

The fountain was on Princess last month what a waste of time. They never even used the stuff which was poured.

You can not miss what you have not had.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We usually eat at 6.30 so have never had afternoon tea. On our last cruise we decided on second sitting and thought we'd probably need the afternoon tea but we didn't. So I don't think it's something I'll miss at all.

Champagne Fountain

We had one on our first cruise on Oceana in the Caribbean in 2004. It was lovely until you realise they only use about three bottles of champagne and don't fill the remaining glasses. It was just dismantled and all gone in no time, like a market stall disappearing at the end of the day.

I do have a photo of me pouring a bottle into one the top glasses with the Executive Chef.

I have seen a champagne fountain on Oceana but don't recall the glasses of fizz being handed out afterwards. If it's the stuff that they serve at the priority boarders lunch (or captains drinks reception) these days then we aren't missing anything. Champagne it ain't!

I fondly remember the military band on the quayside in Southampton which we enjoyed for an hour prior to departure on our first P&O cruise on Oriana in 1996.

I guess that I am a traditionalist and would rather not see the erosion of traditional cruising features but, speaking personally, if anything has to go in order to keep prices down, I would rather it was afternoon tea than many other things. As I have said previously, we never find that we can manage it as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner and it's not very good anyway.

Although we are the sort of people who would prefer to pay a few quid for a better quality product (particularly when it comes to Select Dining Restaurants), I realise that this is not for everyone and I do find it interesting how P&O is evolving in order to fill the vast number of cabins that they have these days.

Whereas there used to be a 'one size fits all' experience, very much aimed (and priced) at the mid-upper market, the core offer is becoming very mass market (and at a comparatively cheaper price) to get 'bums on seats' (as it were) and more premium products (e.g. Select Dining) are offered to retain the loyalty and interest of those who want something more upmarket. I guess that, whether we agree with it or not, it does make sound business sense. They need to attract all customer types in order to fill all their ships every cruise.

We usually eat at 6.30 so have never had afternoon tea. On our last cruise we decided on second sitting and thought we'd probably need the afternoon tea but we didn't. So I don't think it's something I'll miss at all.

On that basis, I don't use the gym, so let's remove that. I don't use the spa, so let's remove that. I don't use the buffet, so let's remove that. Etc.

On that basis, I don't use the gym, so let's remove that. I don't use the spa, so let's remove that. I don't use the buffet, so let's remove that. Etc.

I agree with this sentiment. People seem to think that it is fine when the company remove something that they don't use. Will they be so happy when they take away something that they do use and like?

And to an extent the real issue is (allegedly) removing something else that was part of the brochure offering and included in the price when everyone booked. If I booked Brittania today then according to the current marketing information I still get MDR afternoon tea.

When I booked my cruises earlier this brochure offered complimentary items of room service.

Based on P&O obvious willingness to simply remove items included in the package when holidays went on sale I do really wonder what they will remove next.

Azura still had afternoon tea only last month, we did not have any but I noticed the sandwiches and little cakes as I passed through one afternoon, and I have to confess I do rather enjoy plenty of jam and cream on the soft warm scones that P&O serve.

Totally agree, gradually little by little P & O have eroded what cruising was all about and introduced floating Blackpools. There is room, surely, within the fleet to accommodate that level of service, dress codes etc. But, it all boils down to profits of course.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with this sentiment. People seem to think that it is fine when the company remove something that they don't use. Will they be so happy when they take away something that they do use and like?

And to an extent the real issue is (allegedly) removing something else that was part of the brochure offering and included in the price when everyone booked. If I booked Brittania today then according to the current marketing information I still get MDR afternoon tea.

When I booked my cruises earlier this brochure offered complimentary items of room service.

Based on P&O obvious willingness to simply remove items included in the package when holidays went on sale I do really wonder what they will remove next.

Well said

Totally agree, gradually little by little P & O have eroded what cruising was all about and introduced floating Blackpools. There is room, surely, within the fleet to accommodate that level of service, dress codes etc. But, it all boils down to profits of course.

I believe P&O are deliberately going down market and doing everything to minimise costs and headline prices. I don't see this changing within the P&O fleet but now go with Cunard whenever possible. The trouble is, they really only have 2 ships that do anything other than transatlantic so itineraries are limited.

I put my point about not using it and noticing that few people used it on the few times I did, because I wondered how well frequented it is and whether there is too much waste? And whether this is behind them stopping it? I actually do sympathise with people who like Afternoon tea in the MDR as there is more of a sense of occasion there than in the buffet without going to the extremes - and the expense - of the Eric Lanlard option, which for some is just far too sweet anyway. As usual on this forum, people can't resist having digs against those who have a different point of view.

Edited by Scriv

I believe P&O are deliberately going down market and doing everything to minimise costs and headline prices. I don't see this changing within the P&O fleet but now go with Cunard whenever possible. The trouble is, they really only have 2 ships that do anything other than transatlantic so itineraries are limited.

No I don't see it changing and indeed the move to reduce aspects of traditional cruising seems to be happening more frequently. We now only go with P&O before other ships come into the UK or after (so Spring and Autumn/winter). P&O would have been a first choice in the past but now it is a last resort to an extent.

We are finding that we have to pay a lot more once on board to get anything like a decent cruise, eg most nights in select dining etc. We don't like the Eric Lanyard afternoon tea having tried it, too much and too sweet but I also don't like juggling food in a buffet (and the health implications with some of the habits of other passengers).

For all the new passengers they will attract with the lower headline price I wonder just how many more experienced cruisers will defect to other lines?

My husband and I agree with Selbourne (yet again!) Eglesbrech and Millers - they are right, unfortunately.

The strange thing is that, in lowering the standards generally, they are providing more expensive options, ie. Market Cafe on Britannia, select dining restaurants, Eric Lanlard's AT. Strange. They seem to want to attract the masses, but still expect a certain proportion to pay out quite a lot for extras, which, frankly, we can't see most of them doing.

Why can't they keep some of their ships more traditionally and have others that aren't - they've got enough of them.

If they are not very careful they will lose the core clientele that have been with them for years and years (including us). Mind you, maybe that is what want.

Very sad to be honest.

We have never had afternoon tea as we usually eat early evening. I know it is afternoon tea but we would have it if it was served early adternoon, say 2 p.m. when you get back from a morning excursion. Or maybe just offer it on sea days instead of doing away with it in mdr altogether.

I didn't say they should remove it. I said I wouldn't miss it.

No I don't see it changing and indeed the move to reduce aspects of traditional cruising seems to be happening more frequently. We now only go with P&O before other ships come into the UK or after (so Spring and Autumn/winter). P&O would have been a first choice in the past but now it is a last resort to an extent.

We are finding that we have to pay a lot more once on board to get anything like a decent cruise, eg most nights in select dining etc. We don't like the Eric Lanyard afternoon tea having tried it, too much and too sweet but I also don't like juggling food in a buffet (and the health implications with some of the habits of other passengers).

For all the new passengers they will attract with the lower headline price I wonder just how many more experienced cruisers will defect to other lines?

At last........ another passenger that doesn't like Lanlard's afternoon tea :*

Its also like the other lines that have started introducing ramped up prices for "Premium All Inclusive" and then complain that people are visiting the bar too often. :eek:

It's all well saying defect to another cruise line... but I am not really tempted to the other options available : ( I want to stay with P&O, so I just hope they don't change the product too much. My real dread is too much dumbing down.

It's all well saying defect to another cruise line... but I am not really tempted to the other options available : ( I want to stay with P&O, so I just hope they don't change the product too much. My real dread is too much dumbing down.

I can understand that perspective as well.

At last........ another passenger that doesn't like Lanlard's afternoon tea :*

Its also like the other lines that have started introducing ramped up prices for "Premium All Inclusive" and then complain that people are visiting the bar too often. :eek:

We didn't like it either, style over substance I thought and what is with the duck in between a chocolate macaron?! The tea was good though.

I am sad that the traditional elements of cruising appear to be dissappearing from the P & O brand. I love the opportunity to take afternoon tea, makes a light snack an occasion and a friendly chat with fellow cruisers. I also love to dress for Dinner every night, it is part of the cruise culture to my mind. With all of these traditional elements going, it will become just a mode of travel rather than a cruise experience.

As some one suggested there are enough ship's in the fleet for a mixture of the more traditional and then the less formal concept, to suit everyone's tastes. You would know at time of booking what you were signing up for at least.

Perhaps people weren't using it on that cruise so they stopped doing it for that cruise only. ( is that wishful thinking?) we have only used it once but it would be nice to know it is there if needed.

As for the room service charging quite a few other cruise lines started charging at the same time. I guess it's a sign of the times with people expecting cruises for the same price as years before.

As some one suggested there are enough ship's in the fleet for a mixture of the more traditional and then the less formal concept, to suit everyone's tastes. You would know at time of booking what you were signing up for at least.

Carnival already has a brand in its group that provides that formality, so they would probably think twice about splitting the P&O brand to try and create a diluted version of it and the confusion it would cause within the P&O brand.

People need to realise that P&O exists for one purpose, which is to deliver dividends to shareholders and they will do whatever it needs to do that.

Apart from Adonia the ships are big enough to cater for multiple tastes. Splitting the fleet would require the 'traditional' ship to be rebranded otherwise there would be confusion amongst passengers. I remember when Oceana had different dress codes for her summer and winter seasons, that caused endless confusion. Then of course 'your ship' would not be cruising where you wanted to go.It would be better to move a ship to Cunard.

If you want a better dining experience you can pay for a cover charge restaurant and if you like formality you can wear a jacket and tie on evening casual nights and the full dinner jacket thing on formals. Only frequent the formal venues if seeing other people dressed casually offends you ;)