Stopping complimentary afternoon tea in mdr?

davenew

I have been cruising a long time and have never seen napkin waving

I've seen some waving for chefs, but the worst was on Celebrity where each table was encouraged to make as much noise as possible to show their waiters were best - complete with "come on, you can do better than that". Truly awful!

Did not mention it in my Princess review but it was a major feature on Princess. Everyone was encouraged to make a loud noise and wave their napkins and stand and shout. ***** awful and it went on and on. Worst part of our Princess cruise, which I did enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been cruising a long time and have never seen napkin waving [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Used to be very prevalent on RCI. Never experienced it on Celebrity but we've always eaten in one of the specialty restaurants on the last evening when this disgusting practice usually takes place in the MDR.

Hate it, I don't want to be showered with bits of food, crumbs etc (not to mention the remnants of other stuff when people have used them for blowing their noses or coughed into them too ugh) that have been collected in someone's napkin during a meal.

Oh well, the things I mentioned that we miss are some of our favourite moments / memories from our first P&O cruise on Oceana. I think your first cruise is always special and memorable as everything is so new and special...

These P&O traditions may not be special to you all though, but they were special to us at that time. It is clear that 'one man's meat is another man's poison'.

Let's all appreciate that we are all different and that if something means a lot to some cruisers (though we ourselves may hate it) then it is still important. (For us it is the shows --------- hate them!)

Am opting out of this thread now - unusual for me.

Did not mention it in my Princess review but it was a major feature on Princess. Everyone was encouraged to make a loud noise and wave their napkins and stand and shout. ***** awful and it went on and on. Worst part of our Princess cruise, which I did enjoy.

Yes, parade of the Chefs and napkin waving on Princess is a tradition. I waved my napkin on QM2 in March and got the 'Cunard Stare.' I don't see a problem with the waving all part of the fun, like ye olde Great British Sailaway.:halo:

As for abolishing 'Arvo Tea' in the MDR on P&O, shock, horror, what if Carnival do it across their fleets, the Cunarders will riot. LOL.

Used to be very prevalent on RCI. Never experienced it on Celebrity but we've always eaten in one of the specialty restaurants on the last evening when this disgusting practice usually takes place in the MDR.

Hate it, I don't want to be showered with bits of food, crumbs etc (not to mention the remnants of other stuff when people have used them for blowing their noses or coughed into them too ugh) that have been collected in someone's napkin during a meal.

I hadnt thought about it like that.A shower of food and bogeys LOL.

I do enjoy afternoon tea - although invariably only have one scone and one cake with a couple of cups of tea. Personally I hope they do keep it. Maybe they have looked at Fred Olsen, who provide the basics in the 'buffet' and charge for a full afternoon tea in the equivalent of the Crow's Nest.

Cruising has changed massively since I first went on QE2 in 1995. It is a much diluted experience but the prices have also plummeted. It hardly costs any more now than it did in 1997 when we took our first P&O cruise.

I do like the chefs' parade. They do a fantastic job and it is good to show appreciation with a round of applause. Napkin Waving? Whooping and hollering? No thanks!

Edited by Britboys
typo

I agree with this sentiment. People seem to think that it is fine when the company remove something that they don't use. Will they be so happy when they take away something that they do use and like?

And to an extent the real issue is (allegedly) removing something else that was part of the brochure offering and included in the price when everyone booked. If I booked Brittania today then according to the current marketing information I still get MDR afternoon tea.

When I booked my cruises earlier this brochure offered complimentary items of room service.

Based on P&O obvious willingness to simply remove items included in the package when holidays went on sale I do really wonder what they will remove next.

I have to say I totally agree. I've two cruises booked for 2018, one to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, and a family holiday. I booked because of the multiple options cruising gives us, all included. We did enjoy room service on our first cruise as we were travelling through the sea lock leaving Amsterdam and I wanted to watch it from the balcony. We also enjoyed afternoon tea instead of lunch.

I'm concerned that elements advertised as part of our cruise are no longer on offer, and wonder what else might be removed before we cruise next year.

I hadnt thought about it like that.A shower of food and bogeys LOL.

The bean counters at Carnival will most probably get rid of ye olde linen napkins and replace them with the McDonalds type 5" x 5" paper variety, a quid for 100 from Tesco or Lidl, lol. Try waving them at the 'parade of the chefs.' :p They won't hold too much dropped food and other infectious products.:eek:

I submit that the paper serviettes be trialled on Cunard, lol, in Queens/Princess Grills of course, hee, hee.

The bean counters at Carnival will most probably get rid of ye olde linen napkins and replace them with the McDonalds type 5" x 5" paper variety, a quid for 100 from Tesco or Lidl, lol. Try waving them at the 'parade of the chefs.' :p They won't hold too much dropped food and other infectious products.:eek:

I submit that the paper serviettes be trialled on Cunard, lol, in Queens/Princess Grills of course, hee, hee.

Well it's worth noting that on some Carnival ships they did remove tablecloths from the main dining room at dinner. Not sure if they're back, but there was uproar at the time (2015).

Sent from Tapatalk

Well it's worth noting that on some Carnival ships they did remove tablecloths from the main dining room at dinner. Not sure if they're back, but there was uproar at the time (2015).

Sent from Tapatalk

Re tablecloths, we were on Island Princess - Panama Canal last November, table cloths were in the MDR. And of course on QM2 in March this year - Sydney - HK, tablecloths in the Britannia Restaurant.:halo:

Re tablecloths, we were on Island Princess - Panama Canal last November, table cloths were in the MDR. And of course on QM2 in March this year - Sydney - HK, tablecloths in the Britannia Restaurant.:halo:

I am referring to Carnival ships, not those owned by Carnival but operated by another brand such as Princess or Cunard.

I am referring to Carnival ships, not those owned by Carnival but operated by another brand such as Princess or Cunard.
Hi,sorry are you refering to CCL,Cunard or Princess which are all owned by Carnival Corp,cheers,Brian.

Hi,sorry are you refering to CCL,Cunard or Princess which are all owned by Carnival Corp,cheers,Brian.
I know they are all owned by Carnival Corp, but I am referring to those from Carnival Cruise Line called 'Carnival' like Valor, Glory, Breeze, Magic. Does that clear it up?

I know they are all owned by Carnival Corp, but I am referring to those from Carnival Cruise Line called 'Carnival' like Valor, Glory, Breeze, Magic. Does that clear it up?

Ah, Carnival Cruise Line, gotcha.:p We have Carnival Sprit based in Sydney, I will see if they have tablecloths on tables in MDR. Watch this space.

I do now,after you have explained it more clearly.

Has anyone established whether they are planning to stop afternoon tea in the MDR?

I emailed P&O Customer Services to ask them and they said that had not heard of any plans to stop it or to remove the 10;30 shows mentioned in another thread.

However, I would put more credence on what people say on here, so would be interested to hear what others returning are saying.

I emailed P&O Customer Services to ask them and they said that had not heard of any plans to stop it or to remove the 10;30 shows mentioned in another thread.

However, I would put more credence on what people say on here, so would be interested to hear what others returning are saying.

There often seems to be a disparity of information between the fleet, shore side head office, customer services and the website. I think you are right to be cautiously optimistic [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ah, Carnival Cruise Line, gotcha.:p We have Carnival Sprit based in Sydney, I will see if they have tablecloths on tables in MDR. Watch this space.

From my Aussie Carnival Cruising friends, yes Carnival Cruise Line ships do have tablecloths on the table in the Main Dining Room, for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Long while since I was on a Carnival Cruise Line ship, back in 2005 in fact, Hawaii - Alaska. Quite good actually. A sea day is called a 'Fun Day at Sea' and dare I say plenty of napkin waving in the MDR, crumbs and all, plus singing waiters. Lubbly Jubbly.:hearteyes:

This is a big USP for P&O so a stupid decision to stop. Hopefully passenger feedback would cause them to reconsider.

P&O do like to shoot themselves in the foot. Perhaps it is the ignorant US parent company. P&O is about offering a British experience which includes the afternoon tea, served with elegance.

I really wish P&O did more to market it's British experience appeal abroad.

Well that sounds more promising however I agree that it will be interesting to get feedback from recent cruisers given the reports at the begging of this thread.

Well that sounds more promising however I agree that it will be interesting to get feedback from recent cruisers given the reports at the begging of this thread.

Well I have stayed out of this daft thread until I could give some facts. Afternoon tea is available on Aurora as of today a friend is now on her and has just confirmed this to be the case. I will be on Britannia in a month or so and I will report on that as well.