Fear of Cruising alone

digger1200

Hello,

I really want to go on a cruise this year in 2014, but don't have anyone to go with. So my questions are this:

How did you make that first step in going solo?

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room?

Where did you cruise to?

What ships cater or like having solo travelers?

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off?

How did you pick your excursions?

How long was your first solo cruise?

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise?

Thanks,

Janine

The first step I took was booking the cruise. Im doing by first 2 solo cruises at the end of the year on quantum and allure. Although ive cruised before I did one cruise with my parents and grandma so we all had different interests so pretty much did our own thing. Everyone is friendly and I think the key is to just talk to everybody. Do what ever tours interest you it will be in a group and people always talk to each other.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Edited by bobbris

Hello,

I really want to go on a cruise this year in 2014, but don't have anyone to go with. So my questions are this:

How did you make that first step in going solo? I went on my 1st solo cruise because the friend I was going to go with backed out. So my TA changed the reservation and I went alone. The 2nd one I took because I wanted to go on vacation and no one else could go 2nd time was easier.

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room? On the 1st cruise the 1st day was crazy bad weather delayed planes they held the ship because so many planes were delayed I remember going to dinner and then going back to my room to sleep I was exhausted. but I went about doing what I wanted the rest of the time dinner bars pool I was there to relax and have fun like everyone else

Where did you cruise to? Caribbean 1st time and Bermuda the 2nd

What ships cater or like having solo travelers? NCL has some ships with solo cabins and RCCL is now building solo cabins as well.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off? got off at every port took tours did shopping it was great.

How did you pick your excursions? cost and things I really wanted to do. on my 1st cruise in St. Thomas I took a sea plane tour which I knew the person I was supposed to travel with would never do it was awesome!!!!!

How long was your first solo cruise? 7 days

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one. on my 1st cruise I was originally seated with mostly older women(I was 28 at the time and they were all over 60?) and it was the early seating so I switched to the later seating and got a table with 4 couples and we had a great time. On my 2nd cruise I did my time dining and did dinner mostly alone but the people at the nearby tables were always friendly and would chat each night and the wait staff is great so much fun. and 2 nights I did the Windjammer buffet and I brought my kindle to read.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise? I have done the eastern caribbean twice and I enjoyed it felt pretty safe on all the islands. Bermuda is another great place to cruise to and you get at least 2 days there so you really get a chance to explore the island.

Thanks,

Janine

I hope this helps

Hello,

I just decided that I was not going to be at the mercy of others when it came to vacations - I was going to plan what I wanted to do, regardless of whether anyone else was interested or available. It was done mostly out of exasperation, wanting to do instead of just waiting for others to want to do it too.

Never; I was perfectly comfortable wandering the ship, finding places to sit and look around or read. I was too afraid, though, to wander into group situations (eg in a bar) by myself.

Where did you cruise to? My first solo cruise was a quick Bahamas trip, but it wasn't my first solo vacation.

It depends on what you think "catering" to solo travelers means. To me, the tiny, interior solo cabins on NCL are not treating solo passengers well - IMO they're saying solo passengers don't deserve more than a tiny, interior cabin unless they want to pay as if they are two people. I think those solo cabins are insulting, not beneficial to solo cruisers. Crystal is one of the most welcoming to solo passengers, IMO, as they don't ask solos to pay 100% extra except for the top level penthouses (window cabins are 25% extra, balcony cabins are 35% extra), and they have Gentlemen Hosts to dance with unaccompanied women on every cruise. That says "we welcome solo passengers" to me a lot more than providing tiny, interior cabins that are higher priced but can be marketed as having no supplement (of course not, they're higher priced in the first place). YMMV. I hear Princess in particular is more geared to couples than solos, but I haven't sailed with them.

I would never stay on the ship in port, unless it was a place I'd previously visited and didn't like/didn't want to see again.

I'm more of a DIY traveler and didn't take excursions on my first solo cruise. The only reason I took an excursion on my last cruise was it was included as a benefit from my travel agent. I would take excursions in places where solo women might be treated poorly (like in Morocco or Egypt), or where they're almost mandatory (like in Russia).

How long was your first solo cruise? 5 days.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one.

It's still a tough one for me, regardless of whether I'm traveling solo on land or sea. I would recommend fixed dining, so that you have set table-mates and can get to know them a little and have that routine. If you don't like eating alone and don't want to sit with strangers at dinner (I like sharing a table and meeting other people; even though I don't generally become friends with them, it's pleasant to share a meal with others, IMO), you can always do a buffet on deck (much more casual) or room service.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise?

Thanks,

Janine

If you are comfortable with your own company, that's a good start - then if you meet and befriend others, it's a bonus (but it's not a necessity). I've found I prefer sea days to visiting ports, so I choose cruises with a maximum amount of sea days and a minimum number of ports, but I know I'm atypical that way.

My first solo cruise was on the NCL Epic. Though the studios are small, I felt they catered to solos because of the studio lounge and dedicated cruise director who organized dinner every night at the solo gathering. Did epic twice. Then grabbed a RCCL Mediterranean cruise for 12 days with a 17% supplement. Could gave been bad, but my cruise critic buddies invited me to join their table. Now hopping on RCCL serenade in February and again CC members invited me to link reservations for dinner. In April, I'm cruising on the new NCL getaway, again in a studio cabin. If the choice is cruise or not cruise, I choose cruise.

I don't get much vacation time at my work, I'm single, I don't have same-age siblings, and organizing a group trip with my friends is like herding cats. So for me, it was a harsh realization: either cruise solo, or wait... and wait... and wait... until I find someone to go on vacation with. So I did what I knew I had to do: go on a cruise solo. Fortunately, Cruise Critic allayed a bulk of my concerns and reservations I had about going on a cruise by myself.

Not really. I knew that I'd be better off not sitting in my cabin. The friendly atmosphere I found on the ship helped me overcome that fear. Even if I wanted to sit and read, I did it on the public promenade.

Where did you cruise to?

Key West and Cozumel.

Norwegian Epic has single-occupancy cabins, so that one for sure. But it's a big ship. I, personally, like smaller ships. Since there are only a few food venues, one theater, one pool, and one promenade, everybody does everything in the same places. They're like college campuses for adults :D. I find that by the second day, I start seeing familiar faces, and it's really easy to run into people I met before.

I always ventured into ports. Well, I almost stayed on the ship once, when my museum excursion got rained out, but a friendly fellow passenger talked me out of it. So I walked to the same museum on my own, in the rain, and still saw it. Unfortunately, I didn't run into that person again, so I couldn't thank her.

I picked them based on what I've been wanting to do before cruising even entered into the equation. For example, I wanted to swim with dolphins for quite some time, so that's what I booked for my excursion. Had the time of my life, and that excursion ended up being the highlight of my cruise.

It was 4 days. I picked a shorter cruise as a precaution of sorts, in case I decide that cruising isn't for me. Well, I was wrong :).

I flew to Martinique solo and stayed there for a week in 1974. A friend was supposed to go with me, but she backed out when it was time to book, so I decided to go by myself instead of sit home and mope. I wanted to spend a week in London and a week in Paris in 1975 (I had majored in French in college), and a boyfriend wanted to go with me, but then he started talking about how we should go to Canada instead. I said no way, that I was going to London and Paris. We broke up, and I went solo to London and Paris. Booking a cruise and going solo was no big deal after that. It beat waiting and waiting until a friend is 100% positive that she will go, too.

Definitely not!

Where did you cruise to?

Nassau and Bermuda.

In the 1970s, none of them. But I didn't let that stop me.

I got off the ship, of course. What's the point of cruising to Nassau and Bermuda and not setting foot in Nassau and Bermuda?

The same way that married couples picked them. I went to the shore excursion desk to see which excursions were available, and I chose which excursions I wanted.

One week.

Back then, they had only first and second sittings for dinner. If you didn't show up, all there was was room service. No surcharge restaurants. No dinner buffet. No restaurant that was open 24/7. So I signed up for second sitting and was seated with other people. No big deal. There was no way I could have eaten by myself even if I had wanted to, because the very few tables for two were reserved for couples on their honeymoon.

After my kids started college I started cruising solo. The first trip I was a bit anxious about how it would go but the minute I walked on the ship I started having fun!

I did a 7 day Western with a balcony and preplanned excursions, met people on the roll call and had late dining. I never found myself without something to do.

I particularly liked if I changed my mind about doing something, I didn't need to consult with anyone about changing plans.

In November I tried Your Time dining and didn't like it...I found people lining up at 5:20pm. I sat alone the first night--no problem. The second night I was seated with others and ended up meeting someone from our roll call who hadn't gone to the meet 'n greet. Sat with other roll callers or alone the remaining nights.

I found the anxiety I had was totally self imposed and I needn't have worried at all.

Remember, if your first night table guests don't work out for you, ask the maitre d' to move you.

Hi, I started cruising 11 years ago and have never looked back:D

I was deciding what to do for vacation and my sister and bil have

cruised alot and she suggested I try a cruise....I am VERY indpendent

and cruising solo is awesome:)...easy peasy (for me anyway).;)

My first one was on Celebrity Century in May 2003 to the Eastern

Caribbean. 7 nights.

Everyone has different tastes....I love Celebrity and am going on another

cruise next month:D......close to my 40th...I think LOL

Most cruisers are quite friendly and I agree with checking out the

roll call section...it is a nice way to meet other folks on your sailing.

As for staying in the cabin? To sleep yes...but I love being out on

the ship. No fears at all. I am very outgoing and I it is easy for me

to meet folks.

The dinner thing? I usually do late seating, traditional dining. That is

just what is comfortable for me. I enjoy having the same wait staff

each night. Most times I have had very friendly tablemates. But if

things are not going smoothly? I go to the Maitr'd and ask to be moved.

Excursions? Sometimes I go on my own, sometimes I pick a ship tour...

sometimes you can find people on the roll call and get a group together

that way.

For me? Cruising solo is the only way I sail. I have lived on my own for

almost my entire adult life and I have no desire to share a cabin. I love

having my own space:)

Hope you decide to give it a try.....it is fabulous:D

I would consider a "hosted singles cruise". You will have a built in group of like minded cruisers.3 cruise agencies now conduct these group cruises, usually monthly on most mainstream lines, many ports.Do a search to find availibilities. They will find you a same sex cabinmate or you can solo at higher cost. Groups, maybe 100-250, dine together at dinner, have activities and cocktail parties. Be aware that singles are a real minority on cruises. I have been on cruises where maybe a dozen cruisers were single. Group cruises take care of this situation.

My first solo cruise was a 4 night Bahamas cruise for my 28th birthday. It wasn't my first solo vacation as I'm accustomed to traveling by myself. I had the time of my life, hence why I'm going on my 4th solo cruise in 55 days.

There are currently two RCCL ship that have solo cabins: Brilliance and Serenade. I'll be trying out the Serenade next spring and then Quantum is scheduled to debut this November with solo cabins with balconies.

I booked my excursion through RCCL as I was still a cruising newbie but I don't do that anymore unless it's worth the money.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My first solo cruises were with a hosted singles group.

My biggest concern cruising alone was dinner. The group has a bunch of tables in the same area reserved. You can sit at the same table each night, or switch and meet new people.

They provided necklaces, which indicated who's in the group. If you're very shy, they let you know who might be looking for some conversation. There were some scheduled activities that you could join, or not. Dance classes, walks around the deck, ping pong, shore excursions. You can do as little or as much with the group as you feel like.

I never felt unsafe, on the ships, or in the ports.

Each one was different, with a varied list of people and expectations. The Halloween cruise was the biggest party I've ever been to. I enjoyed them all, for different reasons.:cool:

I'm looking forward to my next cruise, which is not with an organized singles group. I do plan to take advantage of the Epic's lounge to meet friends.

I want to thank everyone who replied and provided great tips.

Janine

For a little inspiration go to the Carnival forum board and read some of GAPearl's reviews. She usually cruises alone and was a great source of information for my solo Valor cruise last year. Hear reviews are very funny too.

I too am usually shy, so when I went on my first solo cruise I wasn't sure it would be fun. But the person I was going to sail with cancelled at the last minute and I since I had not trip insurance I was going to lose all the money anyway.

My first solo was a 7 day from Philadelphia to Bermuda. I had so much fun I really surprised myself. I did a combination of ship excursions and some exploring on my own. I pushed myself a little and went snorkeling even though I am a little scared of the water. I don't regret sailing solo, I will be going on my third solo cruise in September.

Do what you are comfortable with and maybe just a bit more, you might just surprise yourself.........

I would encourage you to look at the NCL Breakaway (or Epic or Getaway)- but NYC seems closest to you. However, if you want eastern caribbean- Getaway goes there (Epic does western, Breakaway Bermuda or Western Caribbean)

The ship has 58-59 studio cabins so you can attend the daily solo gatherings in the end of the afternoon. Great way to meet people and also have people to go eat and go to shows with.

On the Bermuda cruise, I picked one excursion by myself but recognized some people and started talking to people before the excursion started.

On the Epic cruise, although I did 3 excursions by myself, I didn't care and on one of them saw people that were at a lunch I went to.

-In a studio cabin- it is 10x10 comfortable to sleep in but there is so much to do you have little desire to stay in it.

I had a balcony on the Breakaway (last minute) and felt conflicted once I got it- I did not want to spend time alone on it and there was plenty to do

How did you make that first step in going solo? I was 34 at the time, and I decided if I waited for everyone else to get out and see the world, I'd be waiting forever. So I did some research, found a great rate, and just went.

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room? No, but I did worry that no one would talk to me, and I'd be completely alone. I brought a lot of books.

Where did you cruise to? I did the Western Caribbean route - I can't remember the exact stops.

What ships cater or like having solo travelers? I've sailed with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I don't think either caters to solos. It is up to you to decide how social you want to be.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off? I went off the ship, on ship excursions, at each port.

How did you pick your excursions? They were things I wanted to do or see.

How long was your first solo cruise? 7 days.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one. I always ask for a large table, and I always choose late dining - usually it is a table with other solo cruisers - that first cruise it was all women, and I was the youngest by about 20 years, but they were SO much fun! Late dining, because people can linger and talk over dessert or coffee, and then go to a show or a bar together if you are getting along. Also, if you eat breakfast in the dining room, they will seat people as they arrive, and you (and everyone else) ends up sitting with strangers - so everyone is sort of in the same boat.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise? I don't want to offer tips on a specific cruise, but I can tell you this - you should choose an itinerary that YOU will enjoy. I wouldn't pick any based on the idea of there being more or less solo cruisers on it.

Im doing my first SOLO this November 1. It's a Carnival repositioning Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan to Miami.

I decide to do this cruise because I'm tired of everyone having excuses when vacation comes up, why they can't go. Some were legitimate so I understand. But I can't make because they can't go, stop me from enjoying myself.

The only thing I'm concern with is the dining. We do have a very active roll call for this trip. Seems quite a few people will be traveling SOLO on this one. We even have a few people with a shared spreadsheet for excursions. Quite a few people have sign up already. Myself included. The SOLO cruisers have decided to eat together a few nights. So that help with the only concern I have.

I am excited and looking forward to it. I say go ahead and give it a try. That's the only way you will know if its for you. If you decide to go, I encourage you to join the roll call. You will get a ton of info on what excursions they are doing. It's very likely at least one other person will be a SOLO on there. Good Luck

If I had to give one piece of advice to solo travelers - don't think that only other solo travelers will be interested in meeting you, dining with you, or becoming friends with you. That's absolutely not true, so don't hamstring yourself by only looking for other solo cruisers, or thinking you will make more friendly contacts by sitting with or dining with only other solos. It's one of the things I don't understand about a lot of what I read on this forum actually (about how to meet other solo travelers, or whether or not there are a lot of other solo travelers on board.) My favourite dining companions on my last cruise were the only married couple at the table of 8, and I spent time chatting with them other places on board several times. While I'm sure there are couples who want "alone time" on the ship, I've likewise met solo people who don't want to chat or who are, IMO, boring and have nothing of interest (to me) to chat about.

Choose your companions by interests, not marital status, and don't assume that coupled people on board won't be interested in chatting or dining with you.

If I had to give one piece of advice to solo travelers - don't think that only other solo travelers will be interested in meeting you, dining with you, or becoming friends with you. That's absolutely not true, so don't hamstring yourself by only looking for other solo cruisers, or thinking you will make more friendly contacts by sitting with or dining with only other solos. It's one of the things I don't understand about a lot of what I read on this forum actually (about how to meet other solo travelers, or whether or not there are a lot of other solo travelers on board.) My favourite dining companions on my last cruise were the only married couple at the table of 8, and I spent time chatting with them other places on board several times. While I'm sure there are couples who want "alone time" on the ship, I've likewise met solo people who don't want to chat or who are, IMO, boring and have nothing of interest (to me) to chat about.

Choose your companions by interests, not marital status, and don't assume that coupled people on board won't be interested in chatting or dining with you.

Great post:D....I have also met many couples/families over the years

and am friends with them to this day:)...actually I never go on my

cruises "searching for other solo cruisers"....it is just not important

to me.

In my early days of solo cruising 12+ years ago I think I needed more structure in my day. I ate most of my meals in the dining room, did ship excursions at all ports, and participated in lots of group activity on the ships on sea days.

Now I'm a much more "go with the flow" type cruiser. I haven't done traditional dining in years. I check out the roll call on each cruise I'm considering. On a 1-2 week cruise I bring lots of books and hobby/work type stuff to do as if I'm cruising for a month. Now I like to have free time each day to spend with the sea.

I would suggest to the OP to test drive a shorter cruise your first time out or do a hosted singles cruise or cruise the Epic/Breakaway with its solo rooms and night time gatherings. IMO solo cruising is a great way for a solo to travel because cruising is a get mix of solo and social time. Faith

Edited by Faith77

I did my 1st solo cruise last year on Thomson Dream (uk cruise co.) around the Med and am doing my second this year on NCL Epic (also a Med though slightly different ports). I was 26 yrs old on my first solo cruise and I had the most amazing time.

So in answer to your Questions.....

Well I am currently single, all of my friends either have BFs or are too skint to afford a holiday let alone a cruise. I felt why should I miss out on summer holidays because I have no-one to travel with..... so I bit the bullitt and started doing some research. There is a wealth of knowledge out there from CC to Youtube videos of rooms etc. I eventually chose a small ship thinking I would be better for my first time - plus the itinerary was amazing!!:D

Never! What a waste that would be. You will find most people are pretty friendly from crew to other passengers. Plus there is so much to do and see. I did my research, talked to people on the forums about the ship and what kind of people I would find so I felt pretty ell prepared for what to expect.

Where did you cruise to?

As I'm from the UK its easier and cheaper for me to do the med. Last year it was Palma (Majorca), Trapani (Sicily), Sorrento (Italy), Civitavecchia - aka the Rome Port!, Calvi (Corsica), Palamos (Spain). This year its Barcelona, Naples, Civitavecchia, Livorno, Cannes, Palma.

This is where the research comes in. I.e. what can you afford, what do you want to see, what kind of ship..... NCL seem to have a great solo package with the studios and the co-ordinator. My last ship had a social hostess for the solo's - I made pretty good friends with her and she introduced me to my cruise companion who I spent most evenings with. Of course there are others. Check out the how to stuff on CC they can give you some good pointers.

Hell No! :D I want to see the world baby! Dont get me wrong there are ports of call I wouldn't dare do myself e.g. Naples, Rome. Check out the government websites for places where solo might not be the safest idea. As for smaller ports go for it! Do your research, what can you do, bus tours etc My fav thing to do is go on street view on Google and go for a wander :D

Again it depends on the port and what you want to do. I did Rome with a ship excursion because I didn't feel confident enough to DIY, and I did the Pompeii tour because I really wanted to. It depends on your preferences. I would say that though a lot of people would advise against it if your not sure of the place or there is something specific you want to do - use the ships excursions (safety in numbers)...

7 nights..... my next is also 7 nights

This was a biggy for me too my ship was freestyle dining. My first night i just did the buffet (the MDR was shut for the muster drill at 8.30pm and i arrived onboard at 7pm ish)

The second night i did the captains cocktail night, we were all herded down to the MDR and I didn't have anyone to sit with, a young couple took pity on me when i sat at a table alone. However in hindsight all i needed to do was speak the one of the waiters and they would have found me someone to sit with!

The third night was the solo dinner meeting that the hostess arranged. I met a lovely woman and so we arranged to meet every night for dinner and drinks. I will say that with freestyle dining they tend to ask whether you are open to sitting with others and will therefore seat you with others. Me and my companion sat with different people every night - i met so many interesting people!

As for any other advise.....

Ask questions, do your research and don't sweat the small stuff. You will have an amazing time. Go with an open mind and as long as you are a sociable person you will make friends in no time..... and if you don't you can always flirt with the bartenders ;)

Here are some links to cruise reviews by solo women - one is mine :) and the other 2 are from NCL Epic 1 med and 1 carribean from a young women who is a couple of years older than me.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1667128

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1895981

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1778026

I hope these help and if you have anymore questions just ask away

I'm going on my first cruise in 1 week... and I'm going solo.

Here are my thoughts:

I do a lot of things solo, because I'm so impatient with making arrangements with other people. I went on my first solo vacation last year when I couldn't find anybody to go with me. This year, I determined that I would be solo again even before I decided to take a cruise. I Googled words like "solo vacation" or "single vacation" for vacation ideas and found an article on Cruise Critic. That article influenced many of my decisions

I don't. Traveling solo means you do whatever you want. I guess that's scary when you're not used to doing things solo, but once you get started it gets easier. Think of this way, if you're at home and you want to swimming, or to a movie, or out to dinner, are you just gonna stay home if you can't find someone to go with you?

Where did you cruise to?

My 1st cruise will be the Caribbean. I picked it because that's where Epic is sailing.

The Cruise Critic article I mentioned Epic and it's solo cabins. So that's the one I chose. I did feel quite a bit of anxiety when I first booked the cruise, so choosing a ship that makes an effort to cater to solo travelers gave me some comfort. A week from sailing, I'm much more confident about it, and I'm kinda wishing I had picked based on itinerary instead... the Pearl goes to more interesting ports, but didn't have the solo cabins.

I think Norwegian now has 2 other megaships that also have solo cabins - Breakaway and Getaway.

But don't believe the rabble that solo cabins cost less than single supplements. Maybe they did when they first came out, but it looks like the difference now is only a couple hundred dollars. Timing has a greater impact on the price. My type of stateroom now costs more $200 less than it did when I booked it. And an inside cabin for 2 now costs ~$150 less than my studio cabin did.

Absolutely no fricken' way I'm gonna stay on the ship if it's in an interesting port. But I am taking some precautions, you do need to be more alert when traveling alone. One precaution was to book my excursions through the cruise line instead of attempting to book them privately. This way I'm assured that I'll be in a group, and that provides some security. It costs more that way, but I think it's worth it.

I picked my excursions from the cruise line, so it's just whatever looks most interesting. If you book privately, you have more options. But, like I said above, it's a good idea to go with the cruise line excursions if you're nervous about cruising solo.

Mine will be 7 days.

Start now. Go out to dinner tomorrow, by yourself. I've said before, I do many things solo, including eat at restaurants and even go to movies (I've graduated to live theater shows). The first time felt awkward, but it gets easier every time. It helps to bring a book, or have a game on your iPhone or something - something that you actually enjoy. The idea isn't to bring a gimmick to hide behind. It's to bring something that you enjoy so much it will distract you from your discomfort. Keep in mind, nobody else cares that you're eating alone. So nothing matters except that you enjoy yourself.

I'm shy too. Just accept it and be comfortable with it. That won't help you meet people, but it will make being alone easier. And do not hide in your room, under any circumstances. You don't have to be socializing with people if you don't feel up to it. Just make sure you do the things you do want to do.

I went to a travel agent and booked it. If you have the time, desire and money - you go. You don't worry about the "solo" part. That's a given and you can't do anything about it so why worry about it. Cruising is for all, families, couples, groups including SOLOS.

No. Your cabin is to sleep, nap, and change. You need to get out of your cabin and participate in ship life. Pool, trivia, dining, shows, bars, etc. There are activities from early morning until late night. Isn't the whole reason for cruising?

Where did you cruise to?

Mexico, Alaska, Caribbean.

All ships cater to solo to some degree from the most elegant to the budget lines. Some are more solo friendly like the Norwegian ships with the solo cabins and lounges. However, the longer, more exotic the cruise; older the client. However, it's not uncommon for solos do those 3 month around the world cruises. You need to find the ship that fit your budget and personality. Some solos like the deluxe lines; and some want the more budget party ships.

Both. Depends upon the port and what I'm interested me. Everyone is different.

I get the excursion booklet off the cruise line's website. It's usually in a PDF format. If something interest me, I book it.

7 days.

This should be your last fear as seating in the dining room is "group dining." You just request the table size you would like to sit at at the time of making your reservation. Table sizes are 4,6,8 or 10. For solo it's best to request a large table, traditional dining, second seating. I'm most case you will be seated with nice, friendly people. Cruises are socials and most people will wish to interact with you. Should you get at a table that you don't like your table mates; speak with the Maitre'd after dinner and request a table change which should never be a problem. Some solos prefer the "Anytime Dining" option. You just show up at the dining room and request to be seated with other people and in most case your request will be granted. However, you will dine with different people every night. If you are a shy person this might be difficult. Every person is different. Some people like this option as the don't like "fixed" dining times and/or like to meet a lot of new people vs the traditional fixed dining. With the fixed traditional dining you really get to know you tables mates and dining staff over the course of a cruise.

Confirm actual seating with Maitre'd upon boarding. You can request to be seat with other solo/singles depending upon availability.

Sure, you might want to look into those "hosted" group cruises for singles/solo. Several travel agencies organized groups of solo cruises and have a tour host to coordinate on board group cocktail parties, dining, shore tours, etc. The ship is not all singles so you can do as much or as little as you with the group. At least you have the safety of a group to socialize with if the rest of the passengers are a bore.