Are you curious about Compagnie du Ponant?

editor@cruisecritic

In everything I read about Ponant before I came onboard (including on our own site!) it talked about the French food. Well, some of the food is French (roast chicken, grilled steaks, the best “frites” I’ve ever had on a ship, and an incredible duck confit, cooked up right in front of us, one day at lunch), I’d say generally it’s a mélange of styles. Some is more continental European, there’s the occasional nod to America (note: When any Ponant ship is on a Tauck charter, there are some tweaks to the menus, and the more exotic stuff – wild boar, kangaroo, duck (?) – come off the menu) – the burgers available on days when the grill is open and via room service are delicious. One of my favorite lunch buffets was Asian themed (and my husband had high praise for the Caribbean themed lunch, too, which I missed).

There’s no “anytime” menu with “always available … whatever” on this ship – but if you want to mix and match, and this applies only to dinner, Restaurant L’Pytheus, which is buffet, allows you to do that.

All other meals are high-end buffet (even in the more formal dining room on deck 2).

So the food is definitely not mainstream American (or mainstream French for the most part, for that matter) but it’s very good.

Probably the only “blah” comment I have at this point is that the breakfasts are pretty repetitious. Some things change daily, but the special is always eggs (and I’m tired of eggs already), the pancakes in the buffet were rock-hard, the French toast looks…unappetizing. The good news is that I’m not over-indulging at this point, just focusing on croissant, fresh squeezed orange juice, yogurt and fruit. That’s probably not the worst idea since the rest of the day…is a dead loss when it comes to dieting. Mind you at lunch the salad bar’s good…but it’s hard to go with salad bar when there are so many more inviting things to try!

Speaking of downsides, this is an up-and-downside: The pastry chef is spectacular. Fabulous desserts, and breads. Alas. It has been hard to resist. Sometimes it’s super-hard to choose just one. Sometimes, and I admit this shamefully, I haven’t been able to choose just one. I’m tempted to skip dinner altogether one night and just eat dessert.

Carolyn

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Thanks for the info on the bike and fitness center, Carolyn. That's a good match-up with your details about the food! I am more than a bit obsessed with exercise while on a ship since it is my only way to avoid becoming a blimp from food and drink.

I'm not a big fan of cruise ship gyms -- would much rather get my exercise on land, swimming or cycling or kayaking or walking -- but on exotic itineraries it can be really hard to get away from the bus tour! So it's great to have a gym onboard (even I did a day on the bicycle). Best exercise was probably Bodobodur, where climbing the seven stories in 567 percent humidity, amidst a throng of masses, was plenty of recreational excitement :)

Carolyn

Thanks for the info on the bike and fitness center, Carolyn. That's a good match-up with your details about the food! I am more than a bit obsessed with exercise while on a ship since it is my only way to avoid becoming a blimp from food and drink.

It sounds like I could work with them to meet my food needs. I always give the cruise line a heads up in advance of my allergies and aversions. On my next cruise I'll also be warning them that I eat a LOT of egg whites (the equivalent of six eggs worth each morning) so they can be prepared. :)

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Keep us posted :)

We're off the ship now, and I have to say we both felt sad. Ponant made the debark day as painless as possible -- all the passengers debarking got a lovely send-off from the captain and hotel director (quite a few people I met were actually doing back-to-backs -- some back-to-back-to-back) which are really natural for Ponant. That's because, even though the ship is cruising in the same general area next cruise (Bali to Bali) there are very few repeating ports.

Working on the review now -- though it may likely be a month or so before it goes up.

Have a great holiday, everyone....

Carolyn

It sounds like I could work with them to meet my food needs. I always give the cruise line a heads up in advance of my allergies and aversions. On my next cruise I'll also be warning them that I eat a LOT of egg whites (the equivalent of six eggs worth each morning) so they can be prepared. :)

Keep us posted :)

We're off the ship now, and I have to say we both felt sad. Ponant made the debark day as painless as possible -- all the passengers debarking got a lovely send-off from the captain and hotel director (quite a few people I met were actually doing back-to-backs -- some back-to-back-to-back) which are really natural for Ponant. That's because, even though the ship is cruising in the same general area next cruise (Bali to Bali) there are very few repeating ports.

Working on the review now -- though it may likely be a month or so before it goes up.

Have a great holiday, everyone....

Carolyn

I will be very interested to see how your experience compared with ours. Different ships (although sisters) and very different itineraries but, from most of your posts, I think the quality of the experience is very comparable.

A wonderful holiday to all.

We leave in three weeks for Le Boreal for the Antarctica. I have a question for Mike 2131 or editor@cruisecritic. The info I have says there will be two formal dinners. How formal are these on this type of trip?

Two formal dinners on an Antarctica itinerary? What a pain when there is already so much you are required to bring and very restrictive baggage requirements.

We leave in three weeks for Le Boreal for the Antarctica. I have a question for Mike 2131 or editor@cruisecritic. The info I have says there will be two formal dinners. How formal are these on this type of trip?

There is NO need to bring dress up clothes on an expedition cruise. You will probably see anything from the odd suit and cocktail dress to pants, a flannel shirt, and suspenders to pants suits. The one safe observation is that usually no one will be in jeans (no matter how nice) at dinner - but I did see that once. The default? I wore a button up dress shirt (no tie) and a sport coat with a nice pair of pants. My girlfriend wore a nice skirt and top. We were comfortable and enjoyed the "formal nights" much more than we would have dressed to the nines.

Based on our Arctic and Antarctic cruises, my take is that the Europeans tend to dress more formally and the Americans dress somewhat more country club casual. Our experience is that no one really cares how you dress on an expedition cruise. The reason everyone came (wildlife, scenery, history, etc.) is the bond that makes the trip special.

We are booked on Le Soleal 19th Nov 2014- Antarctic trip. SO looking forward to hearing anything about the ship or the area!

I suggest checking out member reviews (mine is there for the L'Austral 10-night in December of 2011). Balancing the passengers' accounts with the professional reviews, you will get a pretty fair reading on what to expect. If you want to post specific questions, I think you will get a fair number of responses from those who have been. It was a wonderful experience and we enjoyed the Ponant ship and crew. We want to return (and include South Georgia) and would certainly be happy to sail with them again.

Anyway, just a heads up that I'm going to set up a meeting with the ship's hotel director to get answers to your food/dining questions. So if you have any others besides what's been posted, please let me know asap. And then I'll report back to you.

Carolyn

Happy New Year! I'm anxious to hear about the food on Le Soleal. Have you posted somewhere else?

I am also anxious for recommendations for travel insurance.....need a min of £5000 pp cancellation, plus, I am worried about the flights Buenos Aires- Ushuaia.....what if the flights are cancelled and we miss the boat etc??

Some people have never heard of this line so may not be aware of their ships

Looking at the size of the ship it seems they are about 11000 GRT ..so how big can the cabins be :rolleyes:

Smallest cabin is 200 sq ft with a 43 Sq ft balcony

Owner suites are 484 sq ft with 97 sq ft balcony

there is limited space when they have 132 cabins on a small ship

The biggest standard cabin on Carnivals largest ships is 186 Sq ft.. So 200 Sq ft,that is pretty good for a ship of 11,000 tons....

I am also anxious for recommendations for travel insurance.....need a min of £5000 pp cancellation, plus, I am worried about the flights Buenos Aires- Ushuaia.....what if the flights are cancelled and we miss the boat etc??

1) We booked our cruise and BA-Ushuaia-BA flights independently. We flew from Boston to Houston to BA. After clearing customs and immigration at the international airport, we took a coach transfer to the domestic airport (booked it in the luggage area after clearing the official arrival items). It was quick, comfortable and smooth. Once at the domestic airport we took our Aero Argentina flight to Ushuaia (LAN is the other option). We went early to spend time in Ushuaia (at a great B&B for a reasonable price) and not worry about the flight the day of the cruise. Probably the least expensive way to go.

2) Book the flight and transfers through Ponant. It will most likely be a charter and the ship will not sail without you since there will be a lot of passengers on that flight. You will probably want to go into BA at least a day early just to make sure there are no connection hiccups. Probably not a bargain price, but it brings piece of mind.

3) I know Ponant will sometimes include the flights to and from Europe (probably Paris) along with a couple of nights in BA if you want their package deal. Probably BA and Ushuaia sightseeing and perhaps a welcome dinner with breakfast daily. Again, not the least expensive option - but peace of mind.

We loved Ushuaia and are very glad we arranged things independently. Travel insurance? For that type of trip - absolutely!

Edited by Mike2131

Hi, I weighed in today on the Le Soleal trip on Cruise Critic's blog. Let me know if you have any other questions (and yes, really want to go back...).

Link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2014/01/09/just-back-from-compagnie-du-ponant-6-surprises-and-1-revelation/

Carolyn

Hi, I weighed in today on the Le Soleal trip on Cruise Critic's blog. Let me know if you have any other questions (and yes, really want to go back...).

Link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2014/01/09/just-back-from-compagnie-du-ponant-6-surprises-and-1-revelation/

Carolyn

Thanks so much!

Carolyn

I am glad you enjoyed the time on Le Soleal. We are planning our next expedition trip and, after a disappointing trip in the Silver Explorer in May, Ponant is on the top of the list for us.

• 1 month later...

We were in july 2013 on an IST-IST cruise on ms Austral.

First of all the ships are of a nice size, allowing them to enter in ports where bigger cannot go. Example the Canal of Corinth Greece is possible.

-An item not mentionned yet here, is that the wines during the meals are included. They are not difficult at all if you wish white and afterwards red for exemple and also in normal sufficient quantity. Drinks outside the meals are charged. But you can buy an all-in fee. (Interesting if you drink a lot of more expensive drinks only)

-Another advantage is that under French flag you will not be charged with a daily service fee of $12/14 as other companies do. French law consider that the rules of Hotel/restaurant apply and they have to be included.

Now at the end of your voyage you will find an anonymous enveloppe that you put anonymous in a box, if you want to give a tip, but no obligation.

-Their shore excursions are at a reasonable rate for the quality. French and English guides on separate buses.

- The menthality is quite unformal on board. Even the captain invited the passengers to visit the bridge (except when pilot is on board or during special manoeuvering) There are not a lot of comapnies doing it..; advantage small ships!!

- Somebody had questions on the stability, well the ships are very stable and electronic controlled. They take less wind as the very tall big ships.

I recommend this company very much

We were in july 2013 on an IST-IST cruise on ms Austral.

First of all the ships are of a nice size, allowing them to enter in ports where bigger cannot go. Example the Canal of Corinth Greece is possible.

-An item not mentionned yet here, is that the wines during the meals are included. They are not difficult at all if you wish white and afterwards red for exemple and also in normal sufficient quantity. Drinks outside the meals are charged. But you can buy an all-in fee. (Interesting if you drink a lot of more expensive drinks only)

-Another advantage is that under French flag you will not be charged with a daily service fee of $12/14 as other companies do. French law consider that the rules of Hotel/restaurant apply and they have to be included.

Now at the end of your voyage you will find an anonymous enveloppe that you put anonymous in a box, if you want to give a tip, but no obligation.

-Their shore excursions are at a reasonable rate for the quality. French and English guides on separate buses.

- The menthality is quite unformal on board. Even the captain invited the passengers to visit the bridge (except when pilot is on board or during special manoeuvering) There are not a lot of comapnies doing it..; advantage small ships!!

- Somebody had questions on the stability, well the ships are very stable and electronic controlled. They take less wind as the very tall big ships.

I recommend this company very much

Great info, thanks!