Halifax - Doing your own thing

Hertz Von Seasider

Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is about a kilometer from the dock to the North. You could also visit Fairview Lawn Cemetery, about 3 miles from the ship. The best way would likely be a taxi. There is transit but it appears to involve transfers; there are several options, mostly with different transfer points.

Roy

There is an Immigration Museum at Pier 21 which should be walkable - Canada's Ellis Island. There is a nice boardwalk where the ship is docked and lots of shops and places to eat.

We used the Halifax Titanic Historical tours for a four hour tour of Titanic sites and historical areas of Halifax. Price is based on number in your group but he will add others requesting the tour on the same day to lower your cost. We enjoyed the tour. Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor.com.

Definitely go to the Maritime museum. It's a pleasant walk along the waterfront from the pier to the museum. Halifax's history is so much more than the association with Titanic, so take time to see all of the exhibits at the museum and explore the boats you can tour.

There is also a museum about immigration right where the shop docks. And a bit farther afield (walkable, but uphill) is the Citadel. Neither is about the Titanic, but both are worth seeing.

We will be there on 10th August are renting a minivan as there are 6 of us (and my mum doesn't have great mobility) to go to Peggys Cove and Lunnenburg. Will probably do Titanic exhibition as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Sounds like a good plan. That will be a long day, and best done on your own, so you'll have the freedom to control your time. Be aware that Lunenberg is on a hillside if that's an issue for your mum.

We did a ship's tour (HAL) to Lunenberg, and it was too much time on the bus taking a "scenic route" instead of the highway, listening to the guide drone (and tell porkies). We were on our own for lunch in Lunenberg, and I can recommend South Shore Fish Shack if it's a nice day and you want to sit on their deck. You order inside and they give you a buzzer so you know when your food is ready. The buzzer was a lobster that lit up when it was activated. How cute is that??? (And the lobster roll was delicious!)

We did a great food walking tour during our most recent Halifax visit this past October.

This short two and half hour tour strolled about six or eight block square from the cruise terminal.

Along the way we visited some great little restaurants, enjoyed appetizers, pizza, chocolates, wine while seeing the residential areas too.

Here's a link to the company we booked with. Ours was the SOMO tour.

http://localtastingtours.com/

Enjoy your day in Halifax.

Jonathan

One good thing about Halifax and where the ships dock, most everything is in walking distance.

Shops, restaurants (where we have had some very nice lunches especially fresh seafood) and just the beautiful scenery to view after couple days at sea. One time just walking the Harbor Walkway we came upon a performance of Bagpipers since it was around a Canadian Holiday.

Maritime Museum was very interesting and many displays especially about Titanic one of my interests. Just to imagine what that incident was really like in 1912 and what they learned to make Sailing safer.

We were in Halifax just a couple of days ago on a stop from the QM2. Beautiful sunny day. We rented a car at the Budget office at the Westin Hotel, a 5-minute walk from the port. Drove to Peggy's Cove and Bayswater, and would have gone to Lunenberg, but we ran out of time. Only about $35 US and we were able to wander independently, which is our style. Would do it again.

Hello

We are visiting Halifax on a TA in August. Quite happy to wonder off and do our own thing, mainly Titanic related. Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Hertz

Good morning Hertz.

Try this...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/09/11/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia-second-edition/

19752938069_cdc5f62a72_z.jpg

There is an older version that included a visit to Peggy's Cove...

9737967491_5d60a49a11_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/17/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia/

Obviously many Cunard links around Halifax, including the gravestone of Sir Samuel's wife...

21038398871_dec5a875b2_z.jpg

Enjoy your visit.

Thanks. We will be in Halifax in August and as there are 6 of us (my husband, me, two teenage children and my parents) we are renting a minivan to self drive. We thought we would straight drive to Lunnenburg and then drive back slowly stopping on the way back. We expect to be off the ship relatively early as we will be waking early due to time changes. It will be my dad's birthday that day.

Thanks. We will be in Halifax in August and as there are 6 of us (my husband, me, two teenage children and my parents) we are renting a minivan to self drive. We thought we would straight drive to Lunnenburg and then drive back slowly stopping on the way back. We expect to be off the ship relatively early as we will be waking early due to time changes. It will be my dad's birthday that day.

Lunenburg is lovely, make certain you drive around the harbor toward the golf course, so that you see view, across the harbor, with all the painted buildings. The Knot Pub does a good haddock and chips lunch.

Do drive through Mahone Bay on your way back, and stop to get a photo of the iconic three churches.

As you head back toward Halifax there are many exits north from the shore road toward the 103, the main highway.

The temptation is to stop at Peggy's Cove to see the lighthouse, but in my opinion, for what it's worth, it seems very commercial and crowded.

We had a summer home near Lunenburg for many years, if you have any questions.

Ricki