Helsinki Tram #9 to down town Regal Princess Baltic

For those sailing Regal Princess, it is very easy to go to down town taking tram #9. Follow the blue line on pavement to tram station.

You go thru this building to tram #9 stop.

35273650731_79099d87f2_k.jpg

#9 tram is in red circle. I took the following photo from Regal Princess.

35236789992_148b0b3e10_k.jpg

3.20 Euro cash pay to the tram driver. It is cheaper if you buy ticket from machine.

Get off train station, all major attractions are within walking distance from train station.

This is a photo of train station:

35403598635_bb8304a500_z.jpg

Edited by sysy007

Sysy007 - Thank you for sharing this. It's great info. Do you remember which dock you were actually at?

On the Thread - Helsinki 2017 advice and FAQ, the original poster Jonza says that there will be major changes starting on August 14th - some of those being: for those docking at the LMA dock, Tram line 9 at West Harbor will be replaced by Tram line 7 and the new Tram line 7 will go to Senate Square one block from Market Square.

So, of course we arrive on August 17th and are supposedly at LMA dock - 3 days after the changes go into effect. I'm just trying to figure out how different it might be atnthat time.

Our June 2, 2017 Regal Princess sailing docked at West Harbour, LMA, Helsinki. If Tram 7 goes to Senate Square that's even better. Senate Sq is where Cathedral is. Orthodox Church is a few blocks from Senate Sq. Market Square is 1 block from Senate Sq.

I download a local map into my Google Map app. I marked all the places I want to visit. Once I get to the port, I use Google map for direction. Ask locals for directions if needed, everyone speaks English in all ports.

I DIY for all ports except St. Petersbug (with Alla Grand Tour).

For Oslo , we walked to City hall, royal palace, opera house, fortress. All within walking distance.

For Tallini, 10 minutes walk to old town.

Stockholm is a long walk, a lot people from ship walked with us.

Edited by sysy007

Our June 2, 2017 Regal Princess sailing docked at West Harbour, LMA, Helsinki. If Tram 7 goes to Senate Square that's even better. Senate Sq is where Cathedral is. Orthodox Church is a few blocks from Senate Sq. Market Square is 1 block from Senate Sq.

Wow - you are a wealth of info. Thank you, I was trying to not worry about the changes and figured that I'd just be having to find someone at the dock that day to explain all the new changes (that would have just been in place for 3 days). I'm guessing that the Tram 9 building you marked in your photo will be closed and we'll just have to find where Tram 7 is?

What do you do when you were in Helsinki? We haven't totally committed to anything yet.

I have been to Helsinki 10 years ago, so this time I only visited Senate Square, Helsinki Cathedral, Uspenski Cathedral (Orthodoxchurch), Market Square and shopping. Helsinki shopping is the cheapest of all the ports Regal visits.

If you have not been to Rock Church, you should go.

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/whats-on/sightseeing-trips-and-guidances/travel-around-the-city-by-tram

We were fortunate that Regal Princess docked near Old Town in Stockholm. Other cruise ship such as RCCL does not dock at in Stockholm miss the follow.

When Regal Princess sails into Stockholm it goes thru Stockholm archipelago around 5:30AM, we had very heavy fog on an early June morning, I could not see any land or water. By 6AM sun shined thru the cloud, lighted up the islands and water with fog floating above. It was so beautiful.

35287141411_d41b8f4bdc_z.jpg

35416804185_111c0c5185_z.jpg

35416833485_bb8ca33c20_z.jpg

I'm guessing that the Tram 9 building you marked in your photo will be closed and we'll just have to find where Tram 7 is?

What do you do when you were in Helsinki? We haven't totally committed to anything yet.

Tram 7 should terminate where tram 9 does now so that should be easy to find at the port end.

Hopefully, there will be an updated tram route maps out before you get there.

In May, there was a shuttle bus which ran from the ship into town for 10 euros return. That saves the walk around the wharf and leaves the legs for more walking around town.

Whatever you do, keep clear of Stockman's department store - your wallet will suffer if you go in. I have to admit it's the nicest big store we have been in - and the Boss makes sure we go into lots of stores!

Tram 7 should terminate where tram 9 does now so that should be easy to find at the port end.

In May, there was a shuttle bus which ran from the ship into town for 10 euros return. That saves the walk around the wharf and leaves the legs for more walking around town.

Whatever you do, keep clear of Stockman's department store - your wallet will suffer if you go in. I have to admit it's the nicest big store we have been in - and the Boss makes sure we go into lots of stores!

Thank you for your response. I might have to peek into Stockmans - my big purchases would be food. I love trying local cuisines.

I remember there was a hop on hop off bus and bus take you to town for 10 Euro return.

Wait till you go Stockholm NK department store.

They do have some nice European designer stuff like Flippa K and J. Lindeberg which is hard to find in N. America. If you like crystal, check NK department store lower level.

Wow - you are a wealth of info. Thank you, I was trying to not worry about the changes and figured that I'd just be having to find someone at the dock that day to explain all the new changes (that would have just been in place for 3 days). I'm guessing that the Tram 9 building you marked in your photo will be closed and we'll just have to find where Tram 7 is?

The dock area also servers ferry from Stockholm and other neighboring places. Ferry in this photo with letter "E" comes in quite frequent. The tram servers ferry passengers.

35421911565_56fb12628d_z.jpg

The brown building on far left yellow circle is ferry building. Tram stop is front of that building, ticket machine is outside the building. I don't believe they will close the building and move the track around. Remember this a tram, not a bus. Moving track is not an easy task.

35292208431_c4514aabd5_z.jpg

I think only the routing in down town will be revised. My assumption is that you will board the tram #7 at same station.

Tram ticketing system is honour system, so I have a ticket you can board from rear.

I'm on the Regal Princess in August and will be in Stockholm on August 16. I believe my cruise tenders in nynashamn and doesn't go through the archipelago.

Now I read on this thread about the Regal going though. Does it vary?

I'm on the Regal Princess in August and will be in Stockholm on August 16. I believe my cruise tenders in nynashamn and doesn't go through the archipelago.

Now I read on this thread about the Regal going though. Does it vary?

From July 27 onward, seems Regal will dock in Nynashamn, but you will have 5 more hours in port compare to docking in Stockholm.

Tram ticketing system is honour system, so I have a ticket you can board from rear.

Er, no - the ticketing system is not on the honor system. While you can board from the rear, if you are checked and can't produce a valid ticket the penalty is 80 euros. There are employees that check on both the trams & metro.

It is very easy to get around Helsinki on your own. The online tourist information office is a wealth of information and there is a TI located on the esplanade. http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/come/tourist-information/helsinki-tourist-information

For those interested in the history/architecture/culture of Helsinki, I recommend a good guide book or, for a brief overview, Rick Steve's European Cruise Ports. I love to DIY but I want to know about the history of what I am seeing - it makes the trip more memorable and I have a point of reference to remember what it was that I visited.

From July 27 onward, seems Regal will dock in Nynashamn, but you will have 5 more hours in port compare to docking in Stockholm.

Thank you. I'm sorry I'm missing the cruise thru the islands but a slightly longer day is ok.