Greenock, Scotland

Grumpy100

I haven't done it myself, but there are tours offered by locals and have been mentioned on here very favorably.

http://inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/

There is a "Contact" section on that web site and I guess if you asked them that question, they would be glad to tell you.

Other than that, I wouldn't know. The town itself is pretty small.

We took a tour with this group in September, and I think it was the best tour of our entire trip. It's obvious that these volunteer guides love their city and want visitors to have the best experience possible. They are very knowledgeable; there wasn't a question that they couldn't answer in great detail.

You can book tours in advance which we didn't know so we were only able to get 2 spaces on one tour.

Hi Highlandlassie!

We would like to see Stirling Castle. Would it be better to rent a car or get a taxi from the cruise terminal. There are 4 of us and the ship's tour is very expensive and includes a stop that we would prefer not to see.

Thanks for your help!

Mel

Hi Mel

I have asked my BIL as he drives and also a taxi driver part time - what date will you be in greenock

BIL has just got back to me....

Taxi would be very expensive . Car hire is probably the best bet but there isn't any car hire firms in Greenock now, enterprise in linwood would probably pick them up at the terminal and then go to linwood to do the paper work

Edited by highlandlassie
to give update

We took a tour with this group in September, and I think it was the best tour of our entire trip. It's obvious that these volunteer guides love their city and want visitors to have the best experience possible. They are very knowledgeable; there wasn't a question that they couldn't answer in great detail.

You can book tours in advance which we didn't know so we were only able to get 2 spaces on one tour.

A connection to my hubby is one of the volunteer, she said I can give her a call and go down one her one day - there is a waiting list for volunteers,

Hi Mel

I have asked my BIL as he drives and also a taxi driver part time - what date will you be in greenock

BIL has just got back to me....

Taxi would be very expensive . Car hire is probably the best bet but there isn't any car hire firms in Greenock now, enterprise in linwood would probably pick them up at the terminal and then go to linwood to do the paper work

Thanks for checking with you BIL for me. Very nice of you.:) We will be therr in July.

I think we will just stick with the ships tour then.

Got tears in my eyes reading all the comments about Greenock, my wee home town, anyone got any questions just shout - and I will try my best to answer:D

Hi highlandlassie,

Greetings from Australia! DH and I will be visiting Greenock in July, via cruise ship and we only have a day here. We visit Cobh first (one day), then Dublin, then finally Greenock.

It appears as if many people who have visited Greenock love it, so we are looking forward to seeing as much as possible.

DH would like to visit Glasgow, and we realise it is impossible to do it all, but we would love to hear your thoughts on us splitting our time between the two - Greenock and Glasgow. We would love to do Edinburgh, but once again, it is further away I think. So many choices, such little time!!

We prefer not to do ships tours, and have no problem travelling on trains, buses etc, but we need to determine how to best maximise our time. We love to walk too, as we are right into health and fitness.

Did I also mention that DH is rather partial to an odd pint or ten???? No wonder he is looking forward to Dublin and good old Guinness!!

Do you have a recommended local beer he could try??? Naturally I would have to force him, kicking and screaming into a local pub - nothing like getting to know the locals in their own pubs!!

Thank you for helping! It is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Nicki

Hi highlandlassie,

Greetings from Australia! DH and I will be visiting Greenock in July, via cruise ship and we only have a day here. We visit Cobh first (one day), then Dublin, then finally Greenock.

It appears as if many people who have visited Greenock love it, so we are looking forward to seeing as much as possible.

DH would like to visit Glasgow, and we realise it is impossible to do it all, but we would love to hear your thoughts on us splitting our time between the two - Greenock and Glasgow. We would love to do Edinburgh, but once again, it is further away I think. So many choices, such little time!!

We prefer not to do ships tours, and have no problem travelling on trains, buses etc, but we need to determine how to best maximise our time. We love to walk too, as we are right into health and fitness.

Did I also mention that DH is rather partial to an odd pint or ten???? No wonder he is looking forward to Dublin and good old Guinness!!

Do you have a recommended local beer he could try??? Naturally I would have to force him, kicking and screaming into a local pub - nothing like getting to know the locals in their own pubs!!

Thank you for helping! It is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Nicki

Hi Nicki

There is an information desk at the port terminal which is run by volunteers - who offer 3 free tours of Greenock, Gourock and I think Port Glasgow

Tennants lager would be the local for Scotland - we also have Fosters here as well.

You could try and do one of the free trips that Greenock offers, I think they last 1 1/2 hrs, they would be able to drop you off at the train station for Glasgow - fast train is around 50mins and the slow train is abt 1 hr 10 mins

I see you are in Queensland, I have family there - also the one time PM of Australia, Robert Menzies - his ancestors the Menzies were originally from Greenock/Port Glasgow. The Aust national anthem was written by the person who was originally from Port Glasgow

We offer guided coach tours around our local area, which we believe will make your day here interesting and enjoyable. Our friendly and relaxed tours are guided by volunteers who are all local people, who will be happy to answer any of your questions about the area. All our tours are guaranteed to return quayside in plenty of time for ship departure.

There are three different tours; each lasting under two hours, at different times from 09:15am onwards. Our tours are very popular, so to avoid disappointment call at our information centre or speak to any of our tartan clad volunteers on the quay and book a tour.

Greenock

Our ‘Glimpses of Greenock’ tour allows you to visit a 16th Century church and our Town Hall and shows you our fine views.

Gourock

On our Gourock tour you will hear tales of local history and see some grand coastal scenery.

Newark Castle/Port Glasgow

Going east, our Newark Castle tour takes you to a typical medieval castle and on the way tells you about our maritime heritage.

Hi Highlandlassie,

Many thanks for your detailed response, and the heads up on the local beer. DH will be impressed!!

We had planned to visit the local volunteers as we have read how good they are!

Where in Queensland do your relatives lives? We are on the Sunshine Coast, which is about 1 hour from Brisbane. Although we have had lots of rain, today it is really living up to its name. The weather has been crazy all over the world - we are back to Summer again and Europe and America have copped all the snow.

Thanks again and have a Happy Easter.

Nicki

for highlandlassie. thanks for agreeing to respond to questions about greenock. on the "tripadvisor" web site, a person from greenock said that there is an avis rental agent in the Tontine Hotel in Greenock. do you know anything about that, perhsps old information?? we really want to get a car and do the "food and drink" festivals at loch lomand and inveraray on sept 14. thanks. marshall

car rental Greenock

We will be in port here on the 28th of Sept. so far we have been unable to find any car hires that will be open for the day on Saturday, the Avis and the other local car hires both close around noon. We are still searching tho, hopefully something will work out!!

Thanks Highland lassie, I will have my boyfriend call them but the online pricing says nothing avail for that day and time. I think that Saturdays are ones that the local car hires don't normally keep open late, maybe with a ship in poet they will make an exception.

can't wait to see that sliver of the world!!

Chrissy

We are renting a car from the Avis branch that is serviced in partnership with the Tontine Hotel (about 0.2 miles). It says the hours for Saturday are 08:00 - 13:00, but maybe they would let you drop the car later than that and leave the keys with hotel staff.

Here is the contact telephone number that the people at the hotel gave me from the Avis brochure they had:

08445 81 81 81

By the way, cars available for rental didn't show up for me until 2 months before the date I was looking for. Right now, quotes only show up through 29 June 2013.

Another thread related to Greenock car rental (that includes directions to Tontine and our planned itinerary for the day):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1759389

What has been the shore times in Greenock with Queen Mary.

Cunard says 8.00am. Does that mean we can get off the ship at 8.00am.

Or we arrive at 8.00am.

It does seem a bit late.

We have always arrived at the designation in the wee morning hours.

I need help from previous passengers.

Can anyone ADVISE. Please,

What times does passengers get off the ship in GREENOCK,we are doing a PRIVATE TOUR?

In the PAST ON other ports we have always got off earlier.

Please advise:)

Edited by Hockeygirl123

• 3 weeks later...

I tried your contact with europcar and they no longer have cars at the port. So far it's been impossible to find someone who will be open all day on Saturday. If you get any other contacts for me to check I would greately appreciate that!!

Thanks

Chrissy

• 1 month later...

Car rental Greenock.

There are no car hire places close to the dock. The largest national car rental place is Arnold Clark which is some distance out of town. You will need a Taxi to get there.

http://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/

However, Enterprise car rental do a pick up and drop off service from Glasgow airport about 40 minutes drive away. They will pick you up at the dock, drive you to the airport where can pick up the car and deliver you back.

http://www.enterprise.co.uk/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=SC21&bid=004&cnty=GB

The question is - why do you need a car?

Unless you are going someone off the beaten track - ie Argyll or the mountains, its quicker and easier to take the train. It's faster to get to Edinburgh and most other Scottish cities by train than driving.

Train is the preferred choice.

If you are looking for Car Hire, check out the service from Glasgow Airport. Most major internationals have 24/7 hire desks there and will do a drop off and pick up service from Greenock.

Enterprise has proved the most efficient.

Also bear in mind that unless specified well in advance the car will be a manual.

Do choose the smallest size on offer. It's not just the fuel costs, parking spaces and roads are that much smaller, and if you have not driven in Europe you will have difficulty.

another thing to take note, is that aside from being wonderful hosts on the dock and in the terminal. all the usual tourist souvineers were a better price there than in the city. example. I bought my little one a small kilt and it was about seven pounds cheaper in the terminal

• 2 weeks later...
Recently did a all day tour with "Great Scot Tours", http://www.greatscot-tours.com/.

Wonderful tour guide- John Gregor.

Great sites... we went to Loch Lomond, Sterling Castle... and a very special surprise! Comfortable van and highly profession driver/guide!

We definitely recommend to see the real Scotland!

Thanks for posting. We are thinking about using them. Did you stop somewhere for lunch? If so, how was it?

The day tour with Great Scot sounds like something my husband and I might like. My question is could you give me a ballpark range of what something like that would cost? I'm having a hard time getting my husband on board in regards to tours but having time with a local person just seems like it would be so much better than bungling along on our own. Thanks

The day tour with Great Scot sounds like something my husband and I might like. My question is could you give me a ballpark range of what something like that would cost? I'm having a hard time getting my husband on board in regards to tours but having time with a local person just seems like it would be so much better than bungling along on our own. Thanks

It's worth bearing in mind that Greenock itself has some of the most spectacular scenery in Scotland - but the cruise and tour companies don't advertise it because it is free.

This is what you get when you climb the hill behind the dock.

You can get a taxi up to 'Overton' for about $10, and walk 'the cut' which is a circular walk.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/may/12/greenock-cut-inverclyde-walk

If you want to make a day of it, you can stop at at the Ranger station and fishing lodge and take some dry fly fishing lessons in Loch Thom - about $20 an hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Thom

It's worth bearing in mind that Greenock itself has some of the most spectacular scenery in Scotland - but the cruise and tour companies don't advertise it because it is free.

This is what you get when you climb the hill behind the dock.

You can get a taxi up to 'Overton' for about $10, and walk 'the cut' which is a circular walk.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/may/12/greenock-cut-inverclyde-walk

If you want to make a day of it, you can stop at at the Ranger station and fishing lodge and take some dry fly fishing lessons in Loch Thom - about $20 an hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Thom