age requirement

bones774

Looking at Carnival splendor cruise and had question over age. It says "All must be 21 or older or one must be 25 or older" does that mean one older adult per family or per cabin, I may need 2 cabins? Im single father looking to book three teens with me, oldest being 18 years old, confused!thanks

Looking at Carnival splendor cruise and had question over age. It says "All must be 21 or older or one must be 25 or older" does that mean one older adult per family or per cabin, I may need 2 cabins? Im single father looking to book three teens with me, oldest being 18 years old, confused!thanks

I believe it means that you will only be able to book one room for 4 of you.

A 21 year old can be in a room by himself. But if there are more than one unrelated persons in a room, one of them must be 25 years old.

Edited by Shmoo here

Exceptions made with family groups. You can either all share 1 cabin, or book 2 cabins close to each other.

Exceptions made with family groups. You can either all share 1 cabin, or book 2 cabins close to each other.

Is this a Carnival exception? I know that some other cruiselines hold fast to the interpretation I said. OP doesn't say whether all the teens are his kids, or friends.

Edited by Shmoo here

This sounds reasonable and doable, can anyone confirm? I have been reading the website and it can be interpreted different ways.

Is this a Carnival exception? I know that some other cruiselines hold fast to the interpretation I said. OP doesn't say whether all the teens are his kids, or friends.

Yes, this has been a Carnival exception for a few years now

Our teen DD's were booked in their own cabin on Carnival and RCCL. They needed to be close to us though. NCL booked DH in one cabin and myself in the other. They did however have one cabin set up with a king bed and the other with twins and a bunk so they knew what the sleeping arrangements were going to be.

Make sure that your TA (or Carnival, if you're booking through them) absolutely marks your booking for two cabins close to each other because the other cabin will have minors. This would be very important if there's a late night emergency (it's rare, but has happened), and also because you'll be responsible for your kids' actions.

Call the cruise line for absolute confimation of this issue. Although many folks here are quite knowledgeable, many are not. Call for yourself and write down the name of the person you talked with.

Also, single Dad, you will need a letter for your two minor children (under 18) from their Mother allowing you to take them out of the country. Samples can be found on Cruise Critic.

Call the cruise line for absolute confimation of this issue. Although many folks here are quite knowledgeable, many are not. Call for yourself and write down the name of the person you talked with.

Also, single Dad, you will need a letter for your two minor children (under 18) from their Mother allowing you to take them out of the country. Samples can be found on Cruise Critic.

THAT IS EXCELLENT ADVISE...good luck!

Carnival has already posted the rules on their website; this is from the Ticket Contract:

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision

OP falls under the bolded section. This is a common booking requirement that any TA should be well familiar with.

Good advice but I have a question. If the other parent is deceased do you need to bring a copy of the death certificate? What if the other parent was never involved, what then? Thanks.

Good advice but I have a question. If the other parent is deceased do you need to bring a copy of the death certificate? What if the other parent was never involved, what then? Thanks.

This is a federal thing, you can call probably the TSA or again, contact the cruise line as they administer the program as far as cruising goes. You may have to provide a copy of the CoD (Certificate of Death) as a "Bridging Document" which would negate the parental permission letter.

This is a federal thing, you can call probably the TSA or again, contact the cruise line as they administer the program as far as cruising goes. You may have to provide a copy of the CoD (Certificate of Death) as a "Bridging Document" which would negate the parental permission letter.

Interesting. Thank you.

Yes, if the other parent is deceased, you need to bring the death certificate for a minor.

For a minor, if there is another parent listed on their birth certificate, you need to bring proof that the other parent allows you to travel OR that you have sole legal custody. It is unlikely that you will be asked for that, but those who didn't have it have been denied boarding.

Yes, if the other parent is deceased, you need to bring the death certificate for a minor.

For a minor, if there is another parent listed on their birth certificate, you need to bring proof that the other parent allows you to travel OR that you have sole legal custody. It is unlikely that you will be asked for that, but those who didn't have it have been denied boarding.

Great information to have. Thank you.

Here are the exact rules from the Carnival website. I'm intimately acquainted with them because I book for a family of 10 ranging in ages from 6-45. These are for guests traveling with parents or grand parents.

Guests under the age of 13

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, only if booked next door or directly across the hall from the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors 13 and under may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents"; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, by up to 3 staterooms in between the minor stateroom and the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors age 13 may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 18 years of age and older

• Minors are 18 and older not required to be booked within close proximity nor on the same deck as the Parents/Grandparents. However, we will place you as close together as possible.

Here are the exact rules from the Carnival website. I'm intimately acquainted with them because I book for a family of 10 ranging in ages from 6-45. These are for guests traveling with parents or grand parents.

Guests under the age of 13

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, only if booked next door or directly across the hall from the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors 13 and under may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents"; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, by up to 3 staterooms in between the minor stateroom and the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors age 13 may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 18 years of age and older

• Minors are 18 and older not required to be booked within close proximity nor on the same deck as the Parents/Grandparents. However, we will place you as close together as possible.

So in my particular case, I have an 18 year old that I could book along with a younger teen child "as close as possible" if adjoining/opposite rooms not available?

So in my particular case, I have an 18 year old that I could book along with a younger teen child "as close as possible" if adjoining/opposite rooms not available?

Carnival said 3 cabins maximum from us. That was a few years ago. DH and I booked an aft balcony and the closest room available was around the corner and was said to be 5 cabins apart but the Supervisor of our PVP ok'd it. Your girls might appreciate a little privacy. Next door or a cross the hall is nice but adjoining rooms might be just a little too close for an 18 year old IMHO. That's when they move away to college after all. :)