Is There a Way To Determine If a Group Is Booked On Your Cruise

Host Walt

At last count there will be 120 passengers from Phil Hoffmann Travel of Adelaide, South Australia on the NIEUW AMSTERDAM on the Mediterranean Magic 24 day cruise departing Barcelona on 23 September. Do not worry as the group is a hosted group they will enjoy a couple of cocktail parties during the 24 days and will not be 'taking-over' any facilities onboard during the cruise. Participants will be doing their individual ''thing'' onshore. Over the last two years, Phil Hoffmann Travel in Adelaide, has been the biggest seller of HAL cruises in Australia and has a very large number of passengers spread over the 20 and 24 day Meditteranean cruises and the Baltic Scandinavia cruises for the 2012 season. The cruise on the 23 September will be hosted by Phil Hoffmann and his wife, Allison and are two of the most respected people in the travel industry in South Australia. He will not be hard to miss and if you see him on the cruise pop up and say hello. Us Aussies enjoy our cruising as it is one of the best holidays for meeting new friends.

Look forward to seeing you onboard.

Edited by Big Gordo

• 2 weeks later...
At last count there will be 120 passengers from Phil Hoffmann Travel of Adelaide, South Australia on the NIEUW AMSTERDAM on the Mediterranean Magic 24 day cruise departing Barcelona on 23 September. Do not worry as the group is a hosted group they will enjoy a couple of cocktail parties during the 24 days and will not be 'taking-over' any facilities onboard during the cruise. Participants will be doing their individual ''thing'' onshore. Over the last two years, Phil Hoffmann Travel in Adelaide, has been the biggest seller of HAL cruises in Australia and has a very large number of passengers spread over the 20 and 24 day Meditteranean cruises and the Baltic Scandinavia cruises for the 2012 season. The cruise on the 23 September will be hosted by Phil Hoffmann and his wife, Allison and are two of the most respected people in the travel industry in South Australia. He will not be hard to miss and if you see him on the cruise pop up and say hello. Us Aussies enjoy our cruising as it is one of the best holidays for meeting new friends.

Big Gordon - thanks for the info re the Aussie group aboard the Mediterranean Magic 24-day cruise. It is always so much fun when Aussies cruise. Looking forward to it.

Cynthia

Oops, not enough caffeine yet. My previous post should have been directed to "Big Gordo" and not "Big Gordon"..............sorry.

Cynthia

• 3 weeks later...
The "Out of Service" List -- includes dry docks and charters

I have added group information as I have learned of it...

New Information is in red December 3, 2011 update

The information is listed in both alphabetical order by ship… and date order by ship. Scroll down for date order.

In response to a request, I am putting **asterisks by the ones that are sailing as full charters (not selling to regular passengers). These are different than the cruises with ‘groups’ on board.

Hi :) thanks for keeping this list updated, found something to add. I've come across a group that will be sailing on the

Eurodam - May 11 - 21, 2012 10 days - Catholic Answers Cruise

http://www.catholicanswerscruise.com/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that by booking a 14-day cruise, I would be able to avoid a "theme" cruise. I just found out that this will be a Jazz Sea cruise (jazzsea.com). I am now rethinking this cruise. I am worried that because the Maasdam is a small ship, there may be areas that will be off limits to regular passengers. Has anyone been on a Jazz Cruise? I would love to hear your comments.

I am on the Westerdam to Alaska on July 14th. I see there is an "Inspiration Cruises" event on this one. It features concerts from Third day and others. I can not get any info on how big this thing will be. I would like to avoid it if it is going to interfere with a lot of the ship. I have been on many cruises with many groups also on board. Normally, it doesn't bother me, but tthis seems like it might be big and honestly, it really isn't my thing. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

National Review Post-Election Cruise

http://www.wright.edu/administration/aaup/OHE/OHE-2012-01/2012-01-OHE-04.pdf

Apparently there can be 500 to 700 people in their group with special lectures, tours, dinner speakers. Late seating appears to be closed to other pax. People who have been on with this group other years claim they do not interfere with use of the ship venues by others except for a couple of cocktail parties on the Lido deck.

I am on the Westerdam to Alaska on July 14th. I see there is an "Inspiration Cruises" event on this one. It features concerts from Third day and others. I can not get any info on how big this thing will be. I would like to avoid it if it is going to interfere with a lot of the ship. I have been on many cruises with many groups also on board. Normally, it doesn't bother me, but tthis seems like it might be big and honestly, it really isn't my thing. Any thoughts?

It really depends on just how many people are part of the group and your personal prefrences. We have cruised with large groups that have been awesome and one group that really didn't seem to realize that my breakfast was not the time or place to check if I had been "saved" yet.

National Review Post-Election Cruise

http://www.wright.edu/administration/aaup/OHE/OHE-2012-01/2012-01-OHE-04.pdf

Apparently there can be 500 to 700 people in their group with special lectures, tours, dinner speakers. Late seating appears to be closed to other pax. People who have been on with this group other years claim they do not interfere with use of the ship venues by others except for a couple of cocktail parties on the Lido deck.

Closing an entire seating that is preferred by many? That's a huge impact.

Plus, post-election, these folks are going to be very grumpy. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am following one particular Roll Call as I am aiming to do the identical cruise the following year and want to pick up shore ideas plus learn more about HAL. This cruise has, as far as I can see, two separate Roll Calls with almost no activity whatsoever - is that a sign that there could be (large) group on it rather than independent travelers? It is not on any of your lists, as far as I can see....

November 2 2012 departing Rotterdam (or Nov 3 departing Southampton) for the Caribbean (34 or 32 days) - on the Rotterdam

Regards

Shirley

ms Westerdam June 22 - 29 2013 Alaska - Quilt Camp at Sea

We're booked on this cruise then my wife, a quilter, came across an ad in one of her Quilting Magazines announcing this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may be old news to some of you, but it's something I'd not seen before. I was wandering around the web looking for a cruise - and stumbled upon a site that lists a lot of Group Cruises: themecruisefinder.com

When browsing the site, I noticed some Holland America cruises and decided to see if they were also being sold to the public - which means a group, but no charter. Some of the groups look big enough to have a serious impact upon the non-group cruisers. Check the November 11th Nieuw Amsterdam, for instance.

Smaller groups have never bothered me, but something large and politically driven would turn me away. It's a website I'll definitely be checking before making my future cruise decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled onto this by accident tonight...did a search and couldn't tell if anyone else had posted, so thought I'd add it to the list. Not sure if this is considered a 'group' cruise, but it certainly may impact parts of the trip.

Theresa Guidice of the Real Housewives of NJ and "The Fabulicious Cruise", December 28, 2012 out of FLL, 7 nt. Eastern.

She is 'hosting' cooking demonstrations, seminars on the making of her new cocktail, a 'girls' day out shopping (probably in port) and a private cocktail party on New Year's Eve to ring in 2013.

Considering the prices for booking the 'group' cruise are running $600+ over HAL's prices, I have to believe that those activities will definitely be CLOSED to anyone else not booked through the group.

I found this via a link on the RHONJ webpage through bravotv.com

With so many groups booking on HAL, it is almost impossible to find a cruise that doesn't have one on it. Perhaps HAL should make some cruises groups only cruises so that regular passengers are not constantly inconvenienced. For example, they could pick a cruise and make it an all Jazz cruise and have all the different jazz groups on the same ship.