What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

I have booked a solo cruise for next May as a graduation gift to myself. I'm pretty sure I'll be going on this unless my friends or family talk me out of it. I'm 21 years old now, will be 22 at time of sailing, so I think I'm the youngest to post thus far. I've always wanted to go to Europe and what better way than a cruise? My family won't be able to save up the cost for airfare and cruise fare totall and none of my friends know how to budget their money either. I will be graduating with a bachelors degree in Education and I figured I would celebrate my achievement before getting a "real job" and entering the "real world".

What is the youngest solo traveler you have met on a cruise? I'm worried about not getting to meet anyone near my age.

congratulations on your accomplishments!! I think you should go for it. Life is short!!!

congratulations on your accomplishments!! I think you should go for it. Life is short!!!

Second that Congrats.. and GO FOR IT... remember we are here for a short time.. I want to die with nothing in my bank account and full or memories

Great thread!

I'm in my mid 30's and I've traveled solo around the world my entire adult life, so cruising solo just comes naturally.

I've traveled and cruised with friends, family and hubby, and enjoy doing that as well sailing solo. However in general I prefer to travel alone. My personality is one that is self-sufficient, exploratory, content and adventurous. Cruising gives me a chance to see places and relax. Something that isn't always easy to do on other vacations.

The goal was always to arrange life in such a way to be able to travel. Hence we're DINKs, as I freelance and don't always have to be on-site for work.

Edited by xenagurl

I'll be 60 next birthday, and have been divorced since 2000. I did a couple of cruises about 8/9 years ago with a boyfriend, but have been completely on my own for about 4 years now. I went on a river cruise down the Nile with my daughter, but that was in 1998.

I was very nervous about going away on my own and couldn't really afford it, so I didn't have a holiday at all for a few years. At the beginning on 2011 I decided that life was too short, and decided to book a cruise. I wasn't really sure what I wanted, so ended up booking myself on the Brilliance of the Seas on the Dubai and the Emirates itinerary for November 2011. That was obviously a long time to wait, and when a great deal sailing Transatlantic on QM2 came up I jumped at the chance. That was my first solo outing, and I had an absolutely fabulous time. The Brilliance was OK, but I did spend a lot of time on my own as there wasn't any provision for solo passengers.

My next cruise is on my birthday, sailing out of Southampton on Queen Elizabeth, and both my daughters will be with me. I am looking out for a good deal for a cruise later in the year.

Second that Congrats.. and GO FOR IT... remember we are here for a short time.. I want to die with nothing in my bank account and full or memories

Thanks everyone :)

I can't wait. I love cruising and can't think of a better present to myself. I love the age ranges here as well and it's nice to see that there's a wide range of people from married, divorced, widowed, single, and everything else imaginable. I think that's also what makes cruising so appealing is that there's such a wide range of people that you are able to meet and spend time getting to know

:D

I've been toying with the idea of booking a quick solo getaway to someplace warm and sunny! I'm 45 and usually travel with my 22 year old daughter. We have a cruise booked in July, but after a recent engagement breakup, I think I need some time away by myself and soon!

I've never traveled solo and I'm not afraid to...it's just taking the plunge and actually booking a cruise!

I've never traveled solo and I'm not afraid to...it's just taking the plunge and actually booking a cruise!

Take the plunge. It is great. I just look for a time with cheap air and cruises. Late Jan early Feb work great and is a great time to get out of MI;)

Hi All. I am a young at heart 62 year old. My DH passed in 2009. We enjoyed annual Western Caribbean cruises since 1995. A Mediterranean cruise has been on my radar for a while now. Thought this would be a good idea since my regular travel buddies are not available this year. Can't wait!

This is a great thread!

I'm 29 years old, single and am embarking on my 2nd solo cruise on Friday!! My first one was for my 28th birthday on the Majesty and I really enjoyed it. This one is going to be double the amount of time though. It's a 10 night cruise, but my Roll Call has been great and I'm looking forward to it.

I have so much fun cruising on my own that I plan to make it a tradition to cruise solo once every 2 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, this is a great thread!

I'm 62 y.o. single woman and am looking around for a solo cruise out of Florida this end of April or beginning of May on Carnival. This would be my second solo. Last 2 cruises were with singles groups -last one in June 2011 to Bermuda out of NYC - which was lots of fun. I didn't go with a singles group to make a love connection, but for companionship/activities/dining. I would like to cruise with my oldest friend or sister, but they work at schools and therefore can only cruise in summer or during school vacations (I don't want to cruise with lots of kids on board). Regarding dining, I don't enjoy sitting by myself; I'm hoping there will be a large table of solos. I do however, enjoy having a cabin to myself! I love cruising to the Caribbean because it brings me to beautiful, turquoise water and for a week, I feel pampered.

Hi .

Well...never considered myself a solo...but DW's work schedule doesn't

mesh with mine. We average 2 cruises (balcony cabin) together

per year and I do 2 or 3 solo off-season (Jan-Feb, Gty inside cabin)

cruises per year.

We have only visited Tulum Ruins together, but solo I have been

able to tour Xunantunich, Chocchoben, Lamanai, Cahal Pech, Coba

and Uxmal Ruins....and Kohunlich/Dzibanache, Altun Ha and Chichen Itza

are next, soon.

I guess in my particular case, if I didn't do the solos...I'd not get

to visit these interesting sites for a few more years.

Anyway, enjoy your larger cabin, smaller bar bills and finding a seat

for one [at all shows] is easy.

:cool:

Edited by maxxedout2

Hello everyone!

I am 49 and going on my first solo cruise to celebrate my 50th birthday. My DH will be joining me for the second part of my B2B cruise. I am the mother of 2 grown children and decided to take this cruise as I really have not been alone since my first child was born 23 years ago. Looking forward to some me time - doing what I want when I want. :D

Hi Karen. I'm Beth, age 71 (can't believe it as I still feel 45).

My husband died last May at age 88. I did a TA solo in 2006 when he couldn't go at the last minute and a 5 day solo in May just before he died. He had been living in a nursing home for a year by then.

Now I have a B2B planned for next fall on Navigator of the Seas: 6 nights Rome to Barcelona and then Barcelona to New Orleans. I'm flying to Rome early for a few days sightseeing by myself.

I have discovered by being active on the roll calls I can get to know people before cruising, arrange private tours with some of them and even make plans for sitting together at dinner.

Once on the ship I have the luxury of being on my own whether it's to sit by the pool or find a quiet place to read a book or even have a drink in one of the many bars. At the same time I also see familiar faces which is good.

I have done short solo land trips and would consider a longer land trip at some point, doing it on my own rather than with a group or definitely leaving the group to go out on my own as I did for a day in Istanbul in 2008.

However, cruising has proven to be a way to travel on my own while not feeling completely alone, and I'll keep doing it as long as money and health allow.

Hi Karen,

I'm Leigh, age 35, and a single mom to a great young man who is 8 yrs old. We're normally Disney people, and I almost booked another trip there (even though we just came back in December). BUT, decided it was time to get away for a few days ALONE, so I booked myself a 5-day cruise to Bahamas on the Carnival Ecstasy. I leave 3/8 and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

I am a little nervous...but super excited and really looking forward to down time. The minute I leave the house for the airport at 4am is the minute my journey begins :)

p.s. I've really enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread! Very enlightening...

Greetings all! I'm Jill, 48, long divorced and parent to 2 sons - 19 in college and 17 senior in HS. I'm celebrating the empty nest & my own college graduation by cruising solo in November 2012.

My sons & I are taking a short cruise to celebrate my youngest's HS graduation and 18th b'day in June, so I expect that will pretty much be a solo experience except at night in the cabin and when its time to buy something! :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to the experience to relax and find some adventure. It will be my first balcony cabin, and I'm dreaming of sitting outside with a glass of wine watching the sea and sunset. I'm toying with booking a Trans-Atlantic for my 50th. It is something I've always wanted to experience.

Nice to "meet" you all and perhaps we'll meet in person on some future cruise! Bon Voyage.

Hi All,

I'm Rosa, from Ontario Canada. My first solo trip was a Europe 16 day land tour. Although a bus full of people is not really solo- it was for me,lol. I had decided after trying to find a friend to go with and having no luck, if I ever wanted to travel again after my husband died, I'd better try going it alone. I had a wonderful time!!! Since then I've gone to an all inclusive alone and many short drive vacations (5-7 day sort of thing).

I've booked with NCL in October to the Caribbean (a group of new friends, but just me in the cabin).

Although I do like to travel solo, I find it very prohibitive with cruising because of the cost. Add to that, I smoke (balcony cabin only now).

I'd love to go to Australia and New Zealand at some point in the future.

I found the land tour much less expensive in regards to single supplements. Here's hoping more cruise lines realize how many solo cruisers there are out here when they're trying to reach their 100% occupancy.

Hi, All. I really enjoyed a couple of group cruises and decided to venture out on my own. It's nice to be able to choose where I want to go, when, and on what ship and cruise line . It's also more relaxed when you have the cabin to yourself and don't have to be concerned about disturbing your room mate and who's getting up first. I always enjoy meeting up with lots of other people on board that I wouldn't get the chance to if I always stayed around the same group.

Hi....31yr old single mom!!! I always cruise with my daughter but she is always off with friends she has met... So I'm practically solo! We will be taking our 4th cruise in may on the dream ;) everyone in my family thinks I'm crazy for cruising alone.... But I love cruising and just cause I'm single doesn't mean I'm not going to cruise;)

I'm 59, single gay male. I have been on 8 of 10 cruises solo. Few of my friends can be convinced to try a cruise! It has never been a problem making new friends on the ship, although I have found that sometimes it takes a little persistence to have the maitre d' place me at a larger table with other people. The biggest challenge for me: finding women (single or attached) who are interested in dancing. (I enjoy ballroom dancing, swing, salsa.) Heck, I would even learn to follow in dancing, if a guy would ask me to dance!

40yr young man in male in military living hawaii looking to take my first solo cruise.

I have two beautiful kids that i took on a cruise last year to Bahamas and we had a great time.

I love to travel a lot and thinking about taken my first solo cruise in MAY time frame, just not sure which one yet. Any others solo cruiser looking to sail during that time frame?

Aloha

JJ

Hi Karen

I'll be 60 on my next birthday. Still can't believe that number. Been divorced for many years.

I've been on 65 cruises, with number 66 coming up on Sunday. At least 35 of my cruises have been solo. It's a great way to travel and also safe for us solos. I've been lucky to have cruised literally all over the world, which is something I can't imagine doing via land trips, but I have taken two land tours of 30 days each, in Asia.

Edited by kitty9

Hi, All. I really enjoyed a couple of group cruises and decided to venture out on my own. It's nice to be able to choose where I want to go, when, and on what ship and cruise line . It's also more relaxed when you have the cabin to yourself and don't have to be concerned about disturbing your room mate and who's getting up first. I always enjoy meeting up with lots of other people on board that I wouldn't get the chance to if I always stayed around the same group.

Hi there Tom. I'm going on only my 2nd cruise ever, and first on NCL. I guess we'll be seeing each other March 3 on the EPIC. I can not wait! I'm a FLorida girl so not going for the weather. The countdown began a while ago, but as of today, 12 days!

Marleen

36 year old guy from West Michigan. I've taken a few cruises in the past, as you can see in my sig, but this will be my first solo. My past cruises we were all taken with my ex-girlfriend and/or my parents. This cruise the parents are staying home and I'll be meeting my current girlfriend aboard... who is a bartender for Carnival :D. Hopefully her boss gives her some time off.

To the first of many solo cruises! *cheers*