Overview of drink packages

sarafinadh

Just an fyi on the milk. I usually have milk with lunch. On several cruises I've had to ask someone to get it from the cooler. After a couple days, they would see me and just go get it. On the Eclipse in December they had large urns with milk by the coffee/tea dispensers. Only problem was it was lukewarm. I tried more than one and same issue. I did ask and was given cold milk from the cooler and they removed the warm milk in a flash.

Thanks for the hint on the cold milk - DS loves his cold chocolate milk!

Dennbr9 & bestmom1 - you've made my day with the free list! Decided we couldn't drink our way through a package with two full days at port and tea, water and juice will do just fine...with our coveted bottles of carried on wine, of course ;)

Thanks for all your help!

QUESTION: Can you (or anyone else here) give examples of [over-$8] cocktails that can be obtained in "small" versions by folks with Classic Packages?

COMMENT: We are very happy to read about these, but we are also very surprised that "X" would offer "small" cocktails. Why? Because someone with a Classic Package could drink two or more of them, consecutively, without incurring any extra charge -- thereby having consumed more than what is contained in one full-size drink ... and having caused a bartender to perform twice the labor. If that's what "X" wants to do, however, we will certainly not complain!

Again, thanks for this excellent new thread.

Thanks for the kind words. As I noted early on, the data comes from a lot of people, including you and your benchmark thread on the subject. Much of it was posted here on CC or in photo galleries. All I did was try to compile it and put it into some sort of order in one place. I DO get credit for turning the new Michael's menu into text ; -)

As for the *small cocktails* staying in the Classic Package price point, it is from anecdotal evidence, personal reports and reviews, and advice given from cruisers here at the forum. In a similar vein, paying the difference for the additional cost of drinks that are more than the Premium package is common practice, but not X policy. I have read reports of people being charged the full price of anything over the $12 cut off. I don't get the impression that this has happened often, and it may not have been a recent event.

The *small cocktails* seem to be in the same realm of *usually is but not always* and I would certainly say that my take on it is that while the *pay the difference* practice is very wide spread and common, the small drink deal is less so.

Thanks for the clarification, Sara.

We hope that the CruiseCritic officials will not overlook what we wrote at 11:57 AM yesterday (about flipflopping our and your threads in "sticky" status). Otherwise, we may have to try to figure out how to communicate with them privately to urge them to make the move. This thread of yours must NOT be allowed to fade away into the dustbin of time.

As for the *small cocktails* staying in the Classic Package price point, it is from anecdotal evidence, personal reports and reviews, and advice given from cruisers here at the forum. In a similar vein, paying the difference for the additional cost of drinks that are more than the Premium package is common practice, but not X policy. I have read reports of people being charged the full price of anything over the $12 cut off. I don't get the impression that this has happened often, and it may not have been a recent event.

The *small cocktails* seem to be in the same realm of *usually is but not always* and I would certainly say that my take on it is that while the *pay the difference* practice is very wide spread and common, the small drink deal is less so.

I certainly appreciate the effort put into compiling this information!

As someone looking at these packages myself for an upcoming cruise, the question that arises, and it would be directed not to you but to X, would be: if I still have to worry about whether something is over or under a certain price, or whether I can pay the difference or must be charged full price, or be served a "small" --- what kind of all-included, no worries beverage package is that? Especially considering the premium per-diem, so-to-speak.

I certainly appreciate the effort put into compiling this information!

As someone looking at these packages myself for an upcoming cruise, the question that arises, and it would be directed not to you but to X, would be: if I still have to worry about whether something is over or under a certain price, or whether I can pay the difference or must be charged full price, or be served a "small" --- what kind of all-included, no worries beverage package is that? Especially considering the premium per-diem, so-to-speak.

TO DARKENSTORMY,

The issue that you raise, is more of a concern for those who opt for the Classic Package vs the Premium.

As straight-forward as can be stated, Classic covers glasses or pours up to $ 8... Premium covers glasses or pours up to $ 12.

Expect, that if something is BEYOND those price points that you are in "no man's land"... and Celebrity will set / apply THE RULES / Pricing as they see fit.

So anotherwords, "no guarantees" that the Martini you see listed at the Martini Bar for $ 10 is going to be made available to you on the Classic Package in way shape or form at $ 8 (or less).

A kind and generous inclusion, if your Bartender chooses to make you a "small"

Likewise, "no guarantees" that the glass of REAL Champagne that you see listed at Murano's for $ 15 is going to be made available to you on the Premium Package for just $ 3 extra (vs the whole $ 15)

BUT as with all things in life, having the right "attitude" and asking can't hurt.

In our case we had the Premium Package, and when in Murano's for a special dinner, we asked about the champagne "Do you know if this is covered by the package?" (lol, of course we already knew the answer... it is over $ 12... therefore it isn't covered).... to which the Sommelier, appropriately replied "No unfortunately it isn't at $ 15, but you will only pay the difference" (thereby volunteering the info that we needed). If he had said a flat out NO... I would have assumed, then that I would be paying the whole $ 15 to enjoy such an offering from the wine menu.

And so it goes.

To be fair, Celebrity doesn't market these as "All Inclusive Packages"... so to use that term is incorrect (although certainly being on "the Program" one does give one the "feeling" that you are having a more all-inclusive / one-price experience). And something can certainly be said for the convenience of not having to sign chit after chit (that alone for some folks is reason enough to sign up whether their "math" adds up to the $ 44 or $ 54 per diem or not)

In truth though... if you look at the LONG LONG LISTS of varying items that Celebrity sells aboard (alcohol or other) ... there are many choices at a wide span of price points (or as I say, often in regards to how Celebrity markets themselves "something for everyone").

The Beverage Packages are just another sample, of how Celebrity "groups" some items together as a money saver, that reflects an "average" price point for most folks... they are not All-Inclusive.

Celebrity does the same thing with... Shore Excursion Packages (3 Islands Sightseeing Tours) - Photos (Family Packages) - Specialty Restaurant Meals (Discounts for buying 3 or more) - Wine Packages (such as Taste of the Vineyards) etc.

Hope this info is helpful,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Did you think I didn't understand how these packages work?

I was offering my opinion as to their value, for me. YMMV.

TO DARKENSTORMY,

I "got" that you were posing a Question (statement) to Celebrity... the gist of which was... "How is this All-Inclusive ?"

It isn't.

It never has been presented that way...

It is a "term" that has been adopted / adapted by those on the Ships who use / enroll in the packages, and those who post about these packages here on CC.

It does indeed "feel" all-inclusive... it just isn't.

I was making that clarification for you.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Another new beverage-related offer from Celebrity -- something that was not mentioned in our 2010 thread and is not yet mentioned in your new thread, Sara -- is the "Wine and Dine" packages that are available for people who want to dine in specialty restaurants.

To see an official advertisement of these packages from a December, 2011, Silhouette cruise, please look at page 3 of the PDF that was kindly created and linked for us by CruiseCritic member "FM." Here is a link to the PDF:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=218493&d=1326825118

And I have a link to the same information from our Solstice December 2011 cruise in my signature (INFORMATION PACKET), which is slightly different than the one posted for Silhouette. Hope that is helpful!

Edited by subtchr

This was very helpful. Thank you Sarah! We had decided to go with the Classic Package (and purchased one of the two we plan to buy during the sale on packages in January). But looking at the wines by the glass now, I'm realizing that we may wish to upgrade to Premium as many of the wines that we might prefer are in the $8.50 range....and I don't want to have to pay for them twice.

Will probably wait until we are onboard to decide and upgrade. But this info helps a great deal.

Thank you to all of you who gathered together so much comprehensive information about drink packages and prices -- the big listing; the spreadsheet which has additional information; the quick summary. Looking forward to the Equinox in early April and this is definitely going to help in planning.

Um, someone mentioned Elite Cocktail hours -- is this for multi-cruisers on Celebrity?

My friend got the soda package on our recent cruise, $49. She loves diet Coke and hates Coke Zero. Everywhere she went they brought her cans. I don't drink enough to make it worth the price. My friend probably drank more than usual just to get her money's worth, lol.

I am not much of an alcohol drinker, so I am considering the non-alc packages. I am intrigued by the frozen drinks. Could someone explain what this is on Celebrity? Can I get a virgin Pina Colada for example? Or do they just mean a frozen juice?

Thanks,

Linda

I am not much of an alcohol drinker, so I am considering the non-alc packages. I am intrigued by the frozen drinks. Could someone explain what this is on Celebrity? Can I get a virgin Pina Colada for example? Or do they just mean a frozen juice?

Thanks,

Linda

Yes you can get any virgin drink

I have purchased the premium non alcoholic package for our cruise on Millie. To kkhouse52, I was told by Celebrity that I could get any virgin "foofoo" drink.

I noticed on the list that non alcoholic wines are available. Can I assume those would be included in my package?

Thanks,

Linda

I had the PMNA (Premium Non Alcoholic Package) on the Dec 12th sailing aboard the Silhouette and had as many Virgin drinks as I could muster :D . Personally, I found the Virgin Strawberry Daiquiris better than the Banana ones or Virgin Pina Colada's (never thought about the Margarita's :( ). There is also a list of drinks available at the various bars that are "free" with the PMNA package such as ...

• Strawberry Banana Soda
  • Peach Sangria
  • Sparkling Mint Lemonade
  • Watermelon Tropic

... plus smoothies were offered at Blu (breakfast for AQ guests) and at the Aqua Spa Cafe (breakfast - unsure if they were offered at lunch). Don't forget the freshly squeezed OJ you can get in the buffet at breakfast - yummy! AND of course, the sodas and bottled water including the Glacéau Vitamin ones. Didn't try any of the premium coffees or teas and non-alcoholic specialty coffees but they are included. I do recommend the PMNA package!

I have purchased the premium non alcoholic package for our cruise on Millie. To kkhouse52, I was told by Celebrity that I could get any virgin "foofoo" drink.

I noticed on the list that non alcoholic wines are available. Can I assume those would be included in my package?

Not sure about the non-alcoholic wines as mainly had the "foo foo" drinks :D ... on the shore excursion I went on in Antigua, stopped off at English harbour where the tour offered everyone a free drink which was either a rum punch, made with 150 proof rum, or a fruit punch. When I asked for the fruit punch the bartender walked to the other end of the bar, grabbed a container, brought it back and poured me my fruit punch! .. I believe I was the only one to request the "foo foo" drink ;)

Edited by FM

Another thing to consider when booking the packages. The first day of the cruise you are only on the ship part of the day. There are glasses of champagne when you board. Your use of the package might be much lower than on following days.

It might be worth considering signing up for the package on board starting the second day.

Another thing to consider when booking the packages. The first day of the cruise you are only on the ship part of the day. There are glasses of champagne when you board. Your use of the package might be much lower than on following days.

It might be worth considering signing up for the package on board starting the second day.

We got our money's worth on day 1. Started with wine, sparking water and cappucinos to accompany our delicious lunch at Bistro on 5. Martini Bar was open so we stopped there, followed by drinks at Sailaway at Sunset Bar, pre-dinner cocktail, wines with dinner and drinks at show. About the only thing we missed were the a.m. Cappucinos.

Is the drink package valid until one disembarks? Or, does it terminate on the last night at midnight?

HI PNSNKR,

See you are new here... so Welcome Aboard the CC CELEBRITY BOARD !!

Drink Package is good from the minute you board (or buy the package) until the minute you get off the ship.

Lots of folks use it the last day for Premium Teas & Coffees, Fresh Squeezed Juices, Bottled Water... and if you are lucky to find one... a Bloody Mary or other such morning "eye opener" (lol, could come in handy with the early morning arrivals on Disembarkation Day)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I would be interested in the beverage packages but I would like to know if they are worth the cost. Is there a record of the drinks you order annotated on your cabin charge sheet, or do you just have to remember and record it youself at the end of the day?

I would be interested in the beverage packages but I would like to know if they are worth the cost. Is there a record of the drinks you order annotated on your cabin charge sheet, or do you just have to remember and record it youself at the end of the day?

HI DTHOMASO,

If you ask for a "Detailed" Print-Out all you get is a list of where you ordered from, and a bunch of $ 0.00 entries for each time your card was swiped (once per drink)

Just the same, I don't think it that difficult to "generally" recall what you drank where... (ie Wine in the MDR - Martinis at the Martini Bar - Premium Coffee at Cafe Bacio - Frozen Concoctions Pool Side etc)

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!