My Time dining

pkay414

My friend and I just returned from a cruise, and it was my first time using the My Time dining option. I have to say I liked it, but there were a few cons; and I wonder if others had the same experience of maybe it was just a fluke. Trying to decide if I'd like to do MTD on all my future cruises.

One of the things I noticed is that the wait staff was so rushed to clean the tables in between seatings that many times things were forgotten. We did not have one meal where there was a fork missing, S&P shakers not there... they were always brought -- usually without us having to ask but still it happens.

Another thing is we sometimes felt forgotten. We'd be seated and provided a menu, but it would seem like a long wait until our order was taken. The service was always very polite and it wasn't a huge issue, but we did feel forgotten at times.

Just curious as to others' experiences with MTD. I guess it could have been that we tended to show up for dinner at the early seating time -- or relatively close to it. Would y'all suggest going well after one of the main seating times to ensure the wait staff is not frazzled?

We have always had MTD. Some days the service was very prompt and efficient but other times it was rather slow. I'm not sure why it was like this.

We tend to go early when possible. That's just our preference. So I'm not sure what it would be like to go later in the evening. Hopefully, you will get more comments from those who prefer late MTD.

Happy Cruising!

We normally dined at 7 or 7:30. I can't say that we ever felt neglected or forgotten. But the one thing I hate in a restaurant is to be rushed. I prefer to take my time selecting my menu picks. Perhaps this is just a matter of perception or personal preference?

But I agree that the servers are often hard pressed to complete all of their duties. IMHO they are short staffed. From what we observed, the MTD dining room really didn't start to empty out until after 8 :00. Perhaps if you are looking for faster service you might want to try dining then.

Just an after thought. I think that if you told your server when you are first seated that you wanted to eat quickly, they would do their best to accommodate you.

Just an after thought. I think that if you told your server when you are first seated that you wanted to eat quickly, they would do their best to accommodate you.

It wasn't so much we wanted to eat quickly -- definitely don't want to be rushed on an R&R vacation. It just seemed that it would take a long time to even have our water glasses filled. I'm totally not complaining about the service -- I could tell they were harried. I just don't remember ever getting that "forgotten" feeling when I was in one of the set dining times.

Again, not a complaint. Just an observation of the differences between MTD and the traditional seating arrangement.

MTD by it's very nature puts a greater burden on the servers: there is not the efficiency of carrying all the appetizers at the same time, then the soup, or salad, then the main courses, etc. Also, the clearing up and resetting tables is more efficient when the entire dining room is being done - rather than just one table at a time. The lines probably have not added sufficient staff to accommodate the process.

Pretty much sounds like the description of service at a normal restaurant.

Exactly! Think Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc. It is what it is; I just want a different experience on a cruise ship!

Exactly! Think Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc. It is what it is; I just want a different experience on a cruise ship!

I just don't see how you can get that different experience with MTD. What makes it work in the MDR for traditional seating is the fact that all a waiter's tables are seated at the same time.

I think you will find that "different experience" if you select traditional/assigned dining. I have always found the service better, and I like having the same waiter and assistant waiter - plus we have always been fortunate in our table mates - with one exception, and then we were able to get reassigned the second night and then had a good group.

I think you will find that "different experience" if you select traditional/assigned dining. I have always found the service better, and I like having the same waiter and assistant waiter - plus we have always been fortunate in our table mates - with one exception, and then we were able to get reassigned the second night and then had a good group.

I'm thinking you misinterpreted my comments. The "different experience" that I referenced is in fact traditional dining; same table, same waiters, and same table mates throughout the cruise. If I want an Olive Garden experience, I will go to Olive Garden!