Best way to get to Maho Beach from Port

• 4 weeks later...

We are planning to go to Maho beach to watch the planes come in, but wondering what is a good time to be there---afternoon or morning? Will there be any concern about catching a bus back to the cruise port (I think our ship docks right near Phillipsburg so we won't need the water ferry). Can you swim there? We had considered just going to Great Bay but don't like the sounds of the water being unsafe so looking forward to Maho Beach. We don't spend a lot of time shopping but will plan on maybe buying some liquor to take back to the states--St. Thomas or St. Martin the better place to do this? We have been to both several years ago but can't remember (Senior moment?!) which island we thought was the better price!! Also thanks for the good advice about the buses!!

We got there about 10:30 am. We took the bus and walked to the Bar and were able to get good seats right at the railing. We enjoyed drinks while waiting for planes. Try the guavaberry frozen drink, yum! Yes, you can swim there and we saw snorkelers there. There is a surfboard that has a chalkboard on it w/the flights and times. We were told and experienced that at first will be the smaller planes, and by 12:30 the larger planes were coming in. We were told that the bigger planes come in the afternoon, because they come from Europe. Re: heading back to the ship, just allow enough time, as the traffic can cause a delay. Don't know if the bus goes back to the port. Ours let us off in town and then we caught the water taxi back; we got a rt ticket in the a.m.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do;jsessionid=3534A7C035652BE8E73D34A568DC1572.web1:8009?

Airport code is SMX.

We sat on the beach, just left of center of the airplanes. Departing flights push out sand blasts that are like sand paper, so be prepared. There was one family with a litle kid that didn't realize they were directly in the line of fire, so they were covered in sand.

We're visiting St. Maarten on our upcoming voyage. We're booked to do the helmet diving excursion from 1:00 to 3:30. After that, we'd like to visit Maho Beach to see the planes. Our ship departs at 7:00 and we have 6:00 pm traditional dining. From what I've read, a taxi would be our best option. Some other threads say traffic can be horrendous getting back to the pier in the late afternoon. Is a round trip to Maho with 30-45 minutes of plane-watching doable in 2 to 2-1/2 hours?

Edited by KilroyWasHere

I wouldn't do it.

By that time of day most of the flights arriving would just be puddle jumpers.

Visit Joyce Prince's website for a realtime arrival chart.

Getting there and back you would have to deal with bridge-opening delays at 4:30 and 5:30.

Just doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

gary

p.s. Re: the earlier post, the airport code for St. Maarten is SXM, not SMX.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
If your plan is to get to Maho to watch the planes, then the BEST approach would be to catch a taxi from the dispatch area at the Cruise Facility.

th_DSCN3855.jpg

(click)

$18 total to zip the two of you to Maho, or less if there are other people to share the ride. Should be the same price on the return. Taxis may not be waiting on your return, but your friendly local Maho beach bar (I would highly recommend Guy's) should be able to call one for you. If not, a quick walk out to the nearby hotels will find you one. Taxi would return you to the Cruise Facility.

If you want to try to save a few bucks, then the bus is an option. Take a taxi or the Water Taxi to downtown Philipsburg. Should be $3 for a taxi (each way) per person or $4 for the Water Taxi ($6 round trip). You should be able to walk it in 20 minutes or so, if so inclined.

th_DSCN3853.jpg th_DSCN4127.jpg

(click)

Then find Back Street. It's the next one over from Front Street, which is the one with all the jewelry stores. I would look behind the Court House for a sign labeled Bus Halte. That's where you will find the $2 bus. Look for a bus with a 'Maho' or 'Mullet Bay' or 'M'Bay' sign in the window.

Tell the driver Maho Beach and you pay when you get off. You'll get back on the return bus on the other side of the street from where you got off. There will be a bus by shortly, though there is no schedule as they are independent operators. The bus will drop you in Philipsburg, without an option to continue to the Cruise Facility, another $3 pp by taxi or your return ticket (wristband) on the Water Taxi.

gary

We will be the only ship in port that day. I have several questions. Any help you can offer would be great!! Do you take the water taxi and then the bus? Can the water taxi take you directly to Maho beach? Also, there will be 4 adults and 4 kids with us. Is Maho beach kid friendly? Not sure I want to take them to sunset bar where the sign said....topless ladies drink for free. :eek: Where else could we got to watch the planes other than sunset bar? Do you know how much the chairs and umbrellas are at the beach? I have read different reviews about snorkeling and swimming there -read the water is too choppy. Is that true? Please help. We leave on 9/22 and are trying to decide what to do. Thanks so much!

The bus leaves from Back Street, downtown Philipsburg as it doesn't run out to the Cruise Facility.

You could take the Water Taxi to downtown and then walk over to Back Street, or you could take a regular taxi to downtown and have them drop you on Back Street or you could even walk to downtown and Back Street.

The Water Taxi only operates within Great Bay, between the Cruise Facility and two stops downtown.

The beach and waves at Maho are usually kid friendly, but at times can be rough. Sometimes there is quite a dropoff entering the water. It all depends on what the weather has been. I don't think there would be much to see snorkeling.

As for the Topless Ladies Drink Free at Sunset Bar and Grill, that is true, but it is only when sitting at the bar, and there are lots of tables away from the bar (but still within peek-distance). Actually, during the day we haven't noticed many women taking advantage. During the evening is another matter, I'm sure.

Personally, I prefer Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar, on the other side of the runway and closer to the bus stops. It is now serving pizza that I understand is outstanding!

th_DSCN1295.jpg More photos there, after you click through.

(click)

Don't know how much chairs/umbrellas cost, but they might be free or discounted if you eat and drink at Guy's.

gary

• 2 weeks later...
Here's something I should add.

The bus stops are near the Roundabout in the below Google Earth shot

gary

Gary, THanks so much for all the info and especially the Google Earth pic. This is something I am thinking about doing in November....will post back if we do decide to go the bus route!

• 5 months later...

I just discovered that this airport is in St. Maarten and I'm so excited! However, I already booked an excursion to the Tiki Hut Snorkel Park. the first water taxi leaves the royal caribbean ship at 10 to head to the park. Taxis go back and forth to the park every hour. I'm trying to figure out how I can sneak in a visit to the airport while the big jets are coming and going. An hour would probably be fine. The ship leaves at 6. Does anyone have any idea how far the tiki park is from Maho Beach?

There are a couple of 'Tiki' excursions mentioned here on CC, but I believe that the one you're talking about is adjacent to Divi Little Bay Resort, about six miles from Maho.

I'd think that you could 'bail' from the excursion and grab a taxi to Maho from the Resort. Taxi should be on the order of $20 each way for two, or $9 each or less for a larger group.

Same fare would be expected for the return from Maho to the Cruise Facility.

gary

Edited by gtaylor

• 3 months later...

We'll be on the Epic. We intend to do the catamaran excursion and then go to Maho (my son's choice). I can't wait! My 10 year old DS is the biggest plane enthusiast ever and he actually found this beach himself and told me he wanted to go when he found out we were going to St. Maartin. When he described it I was totally confused but he showed me youtube videos and I was amazed. Sad when your kid knows more about cruise ports than you do.

We'll be on the Epic. We intend to do the catamaran excursion and then go to Maho (my son's choice). I can't wait! My 10 year old DS is the biggest plane enthusiast ever and he actually found this beach himself and told me he wanted to go when he found out we were going to St. Maartin. When he described it I was totally confused but he showed me youtube videos and I was amazed. Sad when your kid knows more about cruise ports than you do.

Please keep him from fence surfing at Maho! It is very dangerous but he may have seen you tube videos of others holding on to the fence while the big jets rev their engines and take-off and he may be planning on doing this himself. Really a dumb thing to do IMHO and definitely a bad idea for a child.

Watching the planes from a safe distance however is a very fun way to spend an hour and a half or so though. Enjoy!

Please keep him from fence surfing at Maho! It is very dangerous but he may have seen you tube videos of others holding on to the fence while the big jets rev their engines and take-off and he may be planning on doing this himself. Really a dumb thing to do IMHO and definitely a bad idea for a child.

Watching the planes from a safe distance however is a very fun way to spend an hour and a half or so though. Enjoy!

I would never let him do that. I know there are crazy parents in this world but I'm not one of them. :)

• 1 year later...

The most inexpensive way is to take a bus for $2 to Maho Beach. You can catch the bus (it looks like a minivan) on Back St. near the Courthouse, which runs parallel to Front St. The bus will have a license plate that indicates BUS and there will be a sign in their window indicating Maho.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147347-d147595-Reviews-Frontstreet-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html#MAPVIEW

There are plenty of taxis at Maho Beach to take you back to the pier for about $9 pp with 3-5 people in the taxi, or you can take the bus back to Philipsburg for $2.

Please allow yourself enough time to get back to the pier, you don't want to be a pier runner.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising