menu for carlos bakery on breakaway

uncleboo

I just had a frustrating experience with ordering cakes available from Carlo's Bakery on the Breakaway. About two weeks ago there was a listing on myncl.com of cakes available to order while on the cruise. There were about 10 different varieties and the list gave prices. I wanted a carrot cake, which was not on the list. So I didn't order at the time and when I went back on to order my second choice about a week ago the list was gone! Believe me, I looked everywhere on myncl.com for it! As our cruise leaves this Sunday (today is Friday) I finally called NCL yesterday to find out where the ordering information was on their site. After about 1/2 hour of customer service frustration the agent told me that the listing wasn't on my myncl.com site because cakes have to be ordered at least 4 days before sailing!

I find this ridiculous and implausible and will be following up with Event Planning at ncl and Carlo's Bakery itself later today!

. After about 1/2 hour of customer service frustration the agent told me that the listing wasn't on my myncl.com site because cakes have to be ordered at least 4 days before sailing!

I find this ridiculous and implausible and will be following up with Event Planning at ncl and Carlo's Bakery itself later today!

Needing to have an order placed four days prior to sailing is not ridiculous. NCL not having that information on their website is wrong. I looked quickly at myncl up to the point of placing an order and there was no mentioned of it unless I missed it.

I am sure Carlos has a contract with NCL stating they need a certain amount of days to place an order. I do not know what the logistics are (if cakes are made at one of his shops or actually onboard).

Needing to have an order placed four days prior to sailing is not ridiculous.

I am sure Carlos has a contract with NCL stating they need a certain amount of days to place an order. I do not know what the logistics are (if cakes are made at one of his shops or actually onboard).

Agree - keep in mind it's not NCL making the cakes on behalf of Carlo's. It's Carlo's making the cakes and stocking them on the ship. They need time to make sure they make all the cakes and the treats to accommodate 4,000 people at least a few weeks before sailing. Don't worry - I'm sure they make extra cakes in case people who didn't order ahead of time decide they want to buy a cake while on board. I'm sure you will still get your cake. Have a great trip!

I don't think that the cakes are made in Carlos's bakery and sent to the ship. Think about it....the Breakaway leaves on a Sunday, lets say someone ordered a special occasion cake for that Thursday on their cruise. You think they're delivering and serving a 5 day old cake to the person who special ordered it? I hope not! I think all the cakes and pastries are Carlos's bakery own recipes and they're recreated on board by the pastry chefs.

can someone please be kind and post a menu from carlos bakery along with the prices please

thanks so much

Please do not take this the wrong way, but Carlos products are average at best. I have eaten products right from his shop here in NJ and they really are not special by any means. Are they good? Yes. Special? No.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but Carlos products are average at best. I have eaten products right from his shop here in NJ and they really are not special by any means. Are they good? Yes. Special? No.
My thoughts exactly.

Agree - keep in mind it's not NCL making the cakes on behalf of Carlo's. It's Carlo's making the cakes and stocking them on the ship. They need time to make sure they make all the cakes and the treats to accommodate 4,000 people at least a few weeks before sailing. Don't worry - I'm sure they make extra cakes in case people who didn't order ahead of time decide they want to buy a cake while on board. I'm sure you will still get your cake. Have a great trip!

They aren't baking them on the ship? We might be eating 4 or more day old cake then?

I couldn't agree with this more! When the father was alive the bakery was the best around! They had the best cannoli,best Italian cookies, and the best crumb cake. Now it's all about the look and design of the special occasion cakes the taste is not great.

My cousin's bakery bakes her cakes on a Wednesday for a Saturday pick-up: bake on Wednesday night, icing and filling on Thursday, decorate on Friday, deliver on Saturday. I think this is pretty standard in most bakeries for special orders and elaborate cakes. On-the-shelf cakes are probably baked two-three days in advance.

They aren't baking them on the ship? We might be eating 4 or more day old cake then?

I'm assuming they make the special order cakes and freeze them to preserve them. So it's not like you would be eating a cake that has been sitting out rotting for 4 days.... I was under the impression that Carlo's is a family owned bakery and they keep their recipes in the family, therefore would be making all the products themselves prior to the ships sailing. I could be wrong though.

Sorry but this is incorrect.

As per http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/04/29/cake-boss-bakery-norwegian-ship/2120479/

"Belgiovine says he's training the new shop's staff to bake the Carlo's way, and he's getting a kick out of all the passengers coming in for a look-see."

I actually like Carlos bakery, in fact my daughter just had her 10th Birthday party there yesterday. However, I am not a fan of fondant (we call it fonDONT) and I would not be happy getting, let alone paying that price for one. Now give me their red velvet cake, crumb cake, lobster tails or cannoli and I am happy (their carrot cake is not the best I have had but pretty good).

I highly doubt that - any more than Zakarian making the meals at Blue! :rolleyes:

I don't think that the cakes are made in Carlos's bakery and sent to the ship. Think about it....the Breakaway leaves on a Sunday, lets say someone ordered a special occasion cake for that Thursday on their cruise. You think they're delivering and serving a 5 day old cake to the person who special ordered it? I hope not! I think all the cakes and pastries are Carlos's bakery own recipes and they're recreated on board by the pastry chefs.

Yes! Thank makes MUCH more sense.

We can get cakes "from Carlos's Bakery" here in one of our local supermarket chains - so he's already trusting is recipes to those outside 'his" bake shop! ;)

As we haven't seen a menu, I don't know if this is relevant, but there are quite a few bakery items that should be made fresh each day, like croissants, or fragile items stuffed with wet items, etc.

My cousin's bakery bakes her cakes on a Wednesday for a Saturday pick-up: bake on Wednesday night, icing and filling on Thursday, decorate on Friday, deliver on Saturday. I think this is pretty standard in most bakeries for special orders and elaborate cakes. On-the-shelf cakes are probably baked two-three days in advance.

That would explain why so many I have had lately tasted dry.

As of the 4/30 maiden transatlantic. The prices were...

... very roughly from memory (I had looked up the prices for someone but facebook ate the post) :(

Rainbow cakes and danishes $0.75 (bottom shelf far left and far right)

Cupcakes and cannolis $2 - $3

Mini Cakes $6-$7

I heard rumor that the regular sized cakes were in the $40-$50 ranges. Also that indeed Carlo's relative (?uncle?) was on sight overseeing the pastry chefs. So yes, 'Carlo's' is making the pastries just as if a family member or employee were making them in Carlo's bakery.

I had the chocolate cannoli. It was very good (and very filling) but not Ferrara's good ;)

Tea is free.

There is no free pastry case or self-serve coffee that is on other NCL ships at the "Java Cafe".

P1010424y.jpg

P1010425y.jpg

P1010422y.jpg

Edited by kylenyc