Credit Card Charged in error

Alan & Giselle

We'll I am still patiently waiting for a reply from P&O. I did not contact them for compensation, only for an

explaination as to why they retained my card details without my permission, in breach of data protection and subsequently reused them months later without my authority.

Many people on Facebook have also asked this question. So far there has been no reply and they appear to be constantly evading the question.

Does this mean that they still don't know what caused this several weeks on or that they have no intention of telling people who have a legitimate interest in knowing as their credit / debit accounts were affected.

If they don't know how it happened is it fair to assume that it could happen again?

If they do know then it would be reassuring to customers if they came out and told us that x happened and we have done x to make sure it does not happen again.

In responses from customer services has anyone out there been given a credible explanation about this so far (something other than simply passing the blame onto their third party provider)?

why they retained my card details without my permission, in breach of data protection

Merely keeping card details is not a breach of the DPA. Failing to apply suitable protection to them may not be either, depending on the circumstances. However, inadequate control will be in breach of the Payment Card Industry - Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).

As it happens, I have not been affected by this issue - but have had P&O apply an erroneous on-board charge to my credit card immediately after my last cruise, which they cannot explain and which they say may take weeks to refund because of the backlog of other problems.

Merely keeping card details is not a breach of the DPA. Failing to apply suitable protection to them may not be either, depending on the circumstances. However, inadequate control will be in breach of the Payment Card Industry - Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).

As it happens, I have not been affected by this issue - but have had P&O apply an erroneous on-board charge to my credit card immediately after my last cruise, which they cannot explain and which they say may take weeks to refund because of the backlog of other problems.

Just out of interest was the erroneous charge made before of after this recent debacle?

Wouldn't argue with you re the ins and outs DPA or PCI as I am only a lay person trying to understand why a company has retained my details for apparently no good reason and then processed them again. On a simple reading I would have thought that they were not allowed to keep details longer than necessary and that reprocessing would be a real issue but I will await a reply.

This was at the end of May. My card was charged the correct amount for my on-board spend, then a separate small amount as if I had made another purchase at 3am - which I hadn't. I guess this may have just been human error rather than the same problem others had - although P&O have provided no explanation.