Never too old!

Musicus

Watch out Sue - we all know he's looking for a woman! I think that is as outstanding as all of the other things he does. He is still a very, very young man at heart. That's what I hope for - that I can stay that young at heart into my old age.

He has told me that he has a certain medication along with him...lol..."Have Gun..Will Travel"...

Edited by yellowbird23

I only happened on this thread 3 days ago. I lost my beloved hubby in January 2011. We were late starters to the cruising fraternity (New Years' Eve of 2005). But we absolutely loved it. I was just checking out cruising for solos when I found this thread. Don't really know why I was checking because I don't think I'd have the confidence to travel alone any time soon. But reading this story has made me ashamed of myself. I am only 63 and cannot bear the thought of being on my own for the first time. Reading all about Egon's travels has been an absolute pleasure and my thanks go to all the people who have continued this thread. You are stars! I truly hope he finds a companion who will enjoy his humour, honesty and conversation. Reading between the lines I know he feels lonely and alone. This is so sad. I hope he knows how much pleasure he is giving to complete strangers, and I hope he continues to enjoy his travelling. I for one am hooked. Go Egon Go. You are amazing!

Wishful - I too lost my husband so I can fully understand what you are facing. I have cruised three times without him - once with a group of people that I didn't know and who were not too interested in new friends, and twice with my youngest son and his wife (trying to make sure that I didn't interfere with their good time. All three times I enjoyed myself immensely but missed that special connection you have with a "companion." I have recently found a new website (for me) that looks to be very promising, especially if you live near or in a heavily populated area. It is www.travelchums.com. I live in Nashville, so I searched out several people who were within a 100 mile radius of me and contacted them, telling them I would like to plan dinner or a "day trip" where we could meet and get to know one another a bit. I have met two wonderful women, who like me, are widows but are full of life and fun and still have the desire to travel. (I thought meeting ahead was better than planning a 7 day trip to find out if you could relate). It has worked out very well for me and perhaps it could for you too. Try it and God bless . . . I hope you find what you are looking for.

I only happened on this thread 3 days ago. I lost my beloved hubby in January 2011. We were late starters to the cruising fraternity (New Years' Eve of 2005). But we absolutely loved it. I was just checking out cruising for solos when I found this thread. Don't really know why I was checking because I don't think I'd have the confidence to travel alone any time soon. But reading this story has made me ashamed of myself. I am only 63 and cannot bear the thought of being on my own for the first time. Reading all about Egon's travels has been an absolute pleasure and my thanks go to all the people who have continued this thread. You are stars! I truly hope he finds a companion who will enjoy his humour, honesty and conversation. Reading between the lines I know he feels lonely and alone. This is so sad. I hope he knows how much pleasure he is giving to complete strangers, and I hope he continues to enjoy his travelling. I for one am hooked. Go Egon Go. You are amazing!

I have forwarded this comment directly to Egon! Such a lovely comment that I'm sure will make his day! Thank you.

Pat

I am sorry for your loss and hope with time that things will get easier for you. I belong to a sailing club for ladies, many of whom are widows and we try to take cruises together. The website is www.just-us-girls.org

# 26: April 22 - May 1, 2012

The first port after Genoa is Civitavecchia, which, because of it's proximity to Rome and it's important airport is a major place for passengers to disembark and new ones to come. And so it was; now we have quite a few younger couples and a lot of children, including toddlers, which their doting, usually Italian, mothers let run around freely even at the theater at 9.30pm, watching with admiration as the kid steals the show from the Emcee on the stage. The day in Civitavecchia ("Old City", which was almost completely destroyed during WWII) was profitable for me, for I had good and free WiFi to deal with 30 emails and send out my reports. Marmarisare in port somewhere.

April 24/25 - I was moved to a different dining room table for 8 yesterday and finally could share the champagne (and my story) with my new tablemates: two older couples and two coloured ladies, all from England. They are a very animated lot and break out in lots of laughter; unfortunately, because of the ambient noise, and me sitting at the end of the table, I can't hear what is being said. They had to forgo the strawberries, which, while I preserved the champagne the night before, I gave to my only tablemates at the time, a US army captain on the way to Ottawa, with his German girl friend.

I enjoy observing the people at breakfast in the restaurant, trying to divine their nationality and cultural background by their appearance, mannerism and body language - fascinating!

We have two Sea Days before gettting to Marmaris. My playing was not possible yesterday afternoon because a guy was having an "Arts & Crafts" Class in that Bar, even though the program said it should have been at the adjacent Club. I talked with him and then with Nicholas, the Cruise Director, because it is he who has to cause the changeover for this afternoon. We'll see if this happens. Yesterday was a Gala evening and one rather hefty lady at our table oozed out of all openings of her evening dress. Later on there was the obligatory cocktail party for all, for me the usual 3-martini affair with nothing exciting to report.

Well, I played this afternoon, but only to a very small audience since nobody knew about it and few people come here unless there is somthing advertised going on.

Last time in Marmaris there was a shuttle bus to take you to the city center, but this time there was none, only taxis. I sat outside the Terminal Building, trying for WiFi and a Turkish young man next to me set me up, since he knew the access code forf one of the available servers. This proved to be extremely slow, but I managed nevertheless over a few hours with the laptop on my knees to do what was required. I was particularly anxious to ascertain that funds had been transferred in time for a $14+K Mastercard payment due on the 25th to be covered, thus avoiding the hefty interest chaarges MC levies. There's a lot besides reports and emails that has to be planned, executed and monitored on line when leading the life as I do at present.

April 27, Limassol (Cyprus): the shuttle bus drive into town can be somewhat disconcerting, for here traffic moves on the left side of the road like in England, and while the bus starts out along wide and palmlined Avenidas, it then gets into the old part of town with very narrow streets, heavy traffic and some amazing maneuvres of the bus driver to avoid hitting any cars parked on either side. We finally stop at a little square and pile out of the bus to join throngs of other tourists already there. After walking around a bit, I decide to light at an outdoor restaurant which has free WiFi, sit down, oder a coffee and work for a couple of hours, with good WiFi. When it comes to pay, it's 3.50 Euros which, at CAD 4.75 is pretty steep, even though the filter coffee produced two small cups and was very good. Win a few, lose a few.

April 28/29: Haifa and again a very long procedure because of Israel's Immigration controls and the usual organised chaos surrounding it. But, while they got us going already at 7 am, I made it out only at 10 and used my scooter for the first time again since leaving Poesia. It was a bit of a struggle, because of a steep ramp which ended in three steps, but with the help of a couple of bellboys it was OK. I then drove to the distant Terminal Building, where I was happy to find free WiFi, did my stint and then set out for the city, where, being Satturday, everything was closed. Unfortunately I didn't have a city plan and so my wandering was just that, interesting but not outstanding. I know of course that there are important sites to be visited once you are in this land of biblical significance, but I, at this stage in my life, have to make compromises due to physical limitations and therefore these blogs are dairies rather than travelogues. Unless I come back as a dog in my next life, I may be given another chance!

Among other items on today's lunch menu were "Manhattan Clam Chowder" and"Tirolean Speck and Bean Salad", both of which I had before some time ago and ordered again, even though the clam chowder was as far removed from Manhattan as our ship and the "Speck" an equal distance from the Tyrol in Austria. Both were certainly edible but certainly did not fit their descriptions.

You will not hear from me for some time. I am entering new territory and don't know where I'll find WiFi next.

6978475774_2475fd4ac8_z.jpg

DSCF0010

7124562535_d91442ffa6_z.jpg

Limassol Cyprus (5)

6978476782_12a1853e10_z.jpg

Limassol Cyprus (7)

# 27: April 29 - May 20, 2012

This morning in Haifa I first sat for a while in the Terminal Building and sent out Report # 26. Then I made the long trip through part of the busy City to the Baha'i Gardens, which unfortunately were closed today because it is a Bahai Holy Day. But as you can see from the attached pctures, it is of a magnificent, stunningly beautiful design. It is the Baha'i World Center, the spiritual heart of the Baha'i Faith with it's more than 5 Million adherents the world over and is also the seat of it's governing body. In the evening I had been invited to dine with some of the officers hosted by Marco, the very affable and nice Staff Captain whom I made an "honorary Canadian" by pinning a small Canadian Flag on his shirt. It was another Gala Night.

April 30 was the last day on Melody for me, a Sea Day and I played to a fair number of people in the afternoon. Said good bye to my tablemates whom I don't expect to see anymore tomorrow, even though I'll leave the ship only after lunch, since "Musica" gets into Kalakolon only at 12.30pm. I've been promised a smooth transition to the other ship. We'll see. I am using the Scooter, but four pieces of luggage will have to be moved.

May 2. Well, it went surprisingly smoothly, mainly due to the Concierge Claudia's efforts. The luggage was brought down to the dock, where a taxi was waiting to take it and myself to Musica which was parked quite a long ways away at another pier. After I saw that the driver had difficulty putting the Scooter in his car as well, I opted to scooter the distance behind the taxi. When we got to the ship, I paid him but had to wait about 20 minutes before I could enter the ship; it had been at anchor for quite a while, bringing some passengers per tender to shore and had just then come to the pier which had been prepared for it. The setup of ramps always takes time and once it was complete, there was the crowd previously brought ashore by tender, eager to come back for lunch. Then it was my turn, up a pretty steep ramp with the Scooter, with a guy pushing and not stopping pushing once on top to that I ran slighly into a man standing in line for the security check. He sure gave be a dirty look and may not even have understood my humble apology. But this could have been a bad situation if his leg into which I bumped had been hurt. Once inside, the first to greet me by name was Ivan, the Maitre d' for many months on Poesia and when I went to the cafeteria after checking into my cabin, there were three waiters welcoming me, also ex Poesia. Notorious or famous? The cabin is an inside handicap one, but the positions of the two beds was wrong and I had it changed the next morning. On the one in which I don't sleep I leave my open luggage only half emptied since I'll be here only 3 weeks and am trying to simplify matters somewhat. Musica is an older sister of Poesia and, while decor and names are of course all different (and not quite as elegant), it is familiar. This morning, May 2, we are in Santorini and at breakfast there were again several waiters greeting me. We are at anchor amd temdered ashore; however I decided to stay in and attend to things since I'll be back twice more. And the ship leaves already at 2 pm for Mykonos, where it will be from 7.pm until past midnight. I'm not sure about my wanting to take a 20 minute bus ride into town.

In Mykonos I went down in the evening with the Scooter to reconnoiter and found no sidewalks at this port location. I travelled along the road for a while, but it was getting dark and since it became difficult to see holes or bumps and I also had to get off the road several times because of traffic, I gave up. Next time here I hope to get a free ride into town. Back on the ship I noticed the Scooter making funny noises and when I propped up the rear wheel and let it run, I discovered that the drive belt was almost severed, actually just hanging by a thread. So I spent almost an hour changing it and was glad to have had a spare. Now it's reborn. While the belt lasted over a year of extensive usage, I'll order another one tomorrow to be sent to Southampton where I'll be in July, just to be safe. I consider myself very lucky that this failure occured when and where it did and not somewhere away from the ship.

May 3 in Piraeus (Athens). I swam only 5 laps in a very cold pool this morning. After breakfast went out and in the Terminal Building found free WiFi - and - well, you know the routine by now. Later I got a bottle of Scotch at the Duty free Shop and actually got it through the MSC Security. But before returning, I drove around the busy port area with many cruiseships and freighters moored wherever you look. There was no longer time to actually go into the city because we have to be back on board by 3.30pm. But I'll be back twice.

There are an amazing number of personel from Brazil on Musica - the first time I've encountered this and also that many of them, in restaurants and housekeeping, are females. And there are over 200 Swiss on Board as well, and many Russians. And lots of noisy and cattering Italians, not to speak of screeching kids. Conversation in the restaurant is a catch 22 situation: people have to talk ever louder to make themselves be understood. I'm having a hard time with that.

7142020437_a6098a12e3_o.jpg

At the Bahai Gardens April 29 2012

7142020197_1df27abf1b_o.jpg

Bahai Gardens (2)

6995933426_ed9e181db7_o.jpg

With Marco, Staff Captain April 29 2012

6995933538_9747fb46cc_o.jpg

Stillife in Piraeus

6995933120_9dfa1f35ae_o.jpg

May 3 2012 (2)Piraeus

I am pleased to see he is looking so fit. It's increasingly hard to believe his age! I guess we all have to change our minds about what "old" really is. Just think! So many people think of "old" as 60 - 65 and look how many more years he has lived! It's all a state of mind, people! Isn't that wonderful for all of us to know? And we owe it all to Egon.

I am pleased to see he is looking so fit. It's increasingly hard to believe his age! I guess we all have to change our minds about what "old" really is. Just think! So many people think of "old" as 60 - 65 and look how many more years he has lived! It's all a state of mind, people! Isn't that wonderful for all of us to know? And we owe it all to Egon.

I (hopefully) turn 66 in August so that may mean I have at least 28 years to go yet. Wouldn't that be wonderful?? So many times I look at my grandkids and think of my mother in law and mother. They would have loved these babies! My father is 92 so it is a possibility. I guess being ornery sometimes does pay off...lol. We'll see.

Edited by yellowbird23

I (hopefully) turn 66 in August so that may mean I have at least 28 years to go yet. Wouldn't that be wonderful?? So many times I look at my grandkids and think of my mother in law and mother. They would have loved these babies! My father is 92 so it is a possibility. I guess being ornery sometimes does pay off...lol. We'll see.

I've always said that I planned to live to be 100. I have the genetics to do it but it also takes a bit of luck. Long or short, live a life you would be proud of. I think Egon is doing this very well.

Way to go Egon!!!!!

Thanks for the update you two.

I also hope I am able to live a long long healthy life. Unfortunately I do not have genetics on my side. But I can always be the first.