Princess-at-sea internet

Momma Rene

True. The question then is whether they'll ever add a true app, similar to how Delta runs their app on the free

Gogo wifi using their specific server ip ranges to service their app in-air. Hard part is probably figuring a way to let people download the app on ship without needing a paid internet access. I don't remember if Delta/Gogo had figured out that hurdle for their service.

That is not possible, at least not for Apple devices. Android allows "side-loading" apps from non-store sources. Apple's method is "App Store or nothing."

I remember at one point, GoGo allowed few minutes of internet access to download the app, and it kept track of MAC addresses, to make sure you are not requesting those 5 minutes all the time. Also, it was possible to fool Gogo with a proxy setup, since they seem to be filtering only specific ports. So a proxy running over non-standard ports will give you unlimited internet all flight long. Not sure if it holds true. Now, Gogo/Delta request that you download the app prior to boarding.

Plus you must be careful to actually Log Out or the clock keeps going until it runs out. You cannot buy internet access for the entirety of the cruise. (On Carnival you can buy limitless internet for about $60. I mention Carnival because it owns Princess). So because I was distracted while using my internet service, I forgot the clock was running. It ran out. I refused to buy more time. So just be aware, it is easy to run to dinner or a show and completely forget the internet clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do you initiate contact with a fellow passenger? We are traveling with another couple and their room is on a different level.

The other passenger has to open messenger and tell you their 'messenger id'. You enter the number, and you can connect.

PrincessMessenger_ID_zpsmxsuii4p.png

I think most of us figured out what you meant.

For me, I have mixed emotions on this aspect of onboard communications. I think of that annoying ring when you are standing over a putt, the person answering the call and yelling that they are on the golf course and should not be bothered... times 400. In the middle of dinner or a show, phones are ringing people are speaking loudly, argh.

The "vibrate" function on the phone works well in those cases.

Never been on Princess before, doing 10 days out of Singapore in February, know nothing about the wifi available as far as cost, availability and reliability. On NCL it was very slow on ship Internet cafe computers, a little faster on my tablet. Just looking to post pictures online, use my email service. Any information would be appreciated.

Never been on Princess before, doing 10 days out of Singapore in February, know nothing about the wifi available as far as cost, availability and reliability. On NCL it was very slow on ship Internet cafe computers, a little faster on my tablet. Just looking to post pictures online, use my email service. Any information would be appreciated.

You can view the internet packages on the Princess website in two places: the Cruise Personalizer for your cruise; the Gifts section of the website. I cannot compare the speed to other cruise lines but Princess says they're improving their system.

Here are the prices to purchase in advance & during the first 2 days of our Princess cruises there was a similar offer.

Internet Access

Perfect for those who like to stay in touch or need to manage their affairs on a daily basis in order to put their minds at ease. Help a passenger relax and fully enjoy their Princess vacation by giving them Internet access for news, information and web-based email.

120 minutes

Item #6038 – $69.00

(This package includes 100 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 20 bonus minutes)

240 minutes

Item #6039 – $99.00

(This package includes 200 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 40 bonus minutes)

460 minutes

Item #6302 – $159.00

(This package includes 400 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 60 bonus minutes)

680 minutes

Item #6301 – $199.00

(This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes)

Edited by Astro Flyer

You can view the internet packages on the Princess website in two places: the Cruise Personalizer for your cruise; the Gifts section of the website. I cannot compare the speed to other cruise lines but Princess says they're improving their system.

Here are the prices to purchase in advance & during the first 2 days of our Princess cruises there was a similar offer.

Internet Access

Perfect for those who like to stay in touch or need to manage their affairs on a daily basis in order to put their minds at ease. Help a passenger relax and fully enjoy their Princess vacation by giving them Internet access for news, information and web-based email.

120 minutes

Item #6038 – $69.00

(This package includes 100 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 20 bonus minutes)

240 minutes

Item #6039 – $99.00

(This package includes 200 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 40 bonus minutes)

460 minutes

Item #6302 – $159.00

(This package includes 400 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 60 bonus minutes)

680 minutes

Item #6301 – $199.00

(This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes)

Thank you for your help, very similar in minutes and prices to NCL, hope the service is faster.

Speed during the day is usually slow due to the number of users at one time. How slow? Think how dial up speeds used to be. Usually get significantly faster access after mid-night when most people and many of the crew are sleeping.

Uploading photos will be slow unless you can reduce the picture size before uploading. You will not be able to upload photos using the ship's computers as there is no way to plug a camera card into the computers.

Speed during the day is usually slow due to the number of users at one time. How slow? Think how dial up speeds used to be. Usually get significantly faster access after mid-night when most people and many of the crew are sleeping.

Uploading photos will be slow unless you can reduce the picture size before uploading. You will not be able to upload photos using the ship's computers as there is no way to plug a camera card into the computers.

Thank you for the information. I take pictures with my tablet and then post them to emails or social media, so I am anticipating being able to do it on Princess as I did on NCL.

I was able to do FaceTime from Glacier Bay on Coral in early June. Off-peak was faster, I didn't get any exact download/upload speeds though. One perk of them not offering unlimited internet is that I think it kept loads a little lower on the network - and 640/680 minutes (600 plus 40 for buying 1st day, 80 for buying pre-cruise) was plenty for a couple to share and DW had to do something like 3 hours of work internet over the course of the cruise.

If you're working on a complex site with cookies and IP tracking you may get some "blips" periodically. One of the days DW couldn't get one of her sites to load, was getting a cookie error, that I think was due to the signal being bounced around. It worked for us once we routed through a VPN, so either IP restriction or some weird cookie - IP mismatch are my two top guesses (cookie permissions are my 3rd guess, but the site worked before and after for her so something more transient than permissions).