Labadee, Haiti. Good port excursions?

pldpheex3

You can't leave the private beach to go anywhere in the "real" Haiti....

the excursions offered are mostly watersport stuff, rollercoaster, zip-line, and some boat tours.

We generally don't spend anything on excursions at the private beaches, as the day is included in the fare we've paid....no sense in spending extra!

You can't leave the private beach to go anywhere in the "real" Haiti....

the excursions offered are mostly watersport stuff, rollercoaster, zip-line, and some boat tours.

We generally don't spend anything on excursions at the private beaches, as the day is included in the fare we've paid....no sense in spending extra!

considering that Haiti is in crisis from the earthquake and cholera, I don't want to venture into the "real" Haiti. Staying on the private portion suits me just fine...and only because RCI insists it is helping employ residents and spurring the economy.

i was in Haiti this past May and i was awesome! i recommend doing the roller coaster it was only $15 for 2 people and you charge it to your room. Really the best thing for your money in Haiti, the zipline was about $100 per person but it only lasted 5 minutes total.... and you just go over the water not really what i would want to spend $100 on but the coaster was sweet you get an amazing view of the island and your cruise ship at port :)

Not to worry you "CAN'T" leave the walled in guarded Labadee beach area..and even if you got out there's no place to go...

You can't leave on your own but there are excursions that go outside the guarded beach area.

I have been 20 miles outside it on the wave runners.

Just wondering some good port excursions here. Our cruise departs on March 20th. So far, I've only heard of one thing: that the Haitian Culture tour was really cool.

Yes, indeed. I would recommend it (note that the owner's son told us upfront that "Le village" is staged as the RCI rules didn't allow it otherwise); it gives you enough time after the tour to explore the private island of Labadee too.

For a pre-view of what to expect, feel free to browse the pictures from our recent Holiday cruise that included Labadee, Haiti as the first port of call (the Haitian Cultural tour is seen on the first half of the album):

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/2095

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, indeed. I would recommend it (note that the owner's son told us upfront that "Le village" is staged as the RCI rules didn't allow it otherwise); it gives you enough time after the tour to explore the private island of Labadee too.

For a pre-view of what to expect, feel free to browse the pictures from our recent Holiday cruise that included Labadee, Haiti as the first port of call (the Haitian Cultural tour is seen on the first half of the album):

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/2095

Enjoy!

Great pictures...thank you for sharing

• 4 weeks later...
i was in Haiti this past May and i was awesome! i recommend doing the roller coaster it was only $15 for 2 people and you charge it to your room. Really the best thing for your money in Haiti, the zipline was about $100 per person but it only lasted 5 minutes total.... and you just go over the water not really what i would want to spend $100 on but the coaster was sweet you get an amazing view of the island and your cruise ship at port :)

Would you recommend a one-time ride, or the full day pass for unlimited riding?

Our friends did the excursion to Malfini beach. They said it was spectacular. We hung out at the far end of the regular beach where you could wade into the surf on sand and not rock. We also did the zipline which was awesome. The view was amazing from up there. Great photo ops of the beach and ship in the background.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
considering that Haiti is in crisis from the earthquake and cholera, I don't want to venture into the "real" Haiti. Staying on the private portion suits me just fine...and only because RCI insists it is helping employ residents and spurring the economy.

They aren't though. They only let in a few, leave them in the same low level jobs, and hire your service manager from South Africa. There are ladies sitting around in the restrooms handing out towels expecting a tip like any 3rd world area. That's helping? It's not a knock on Haiti, but RCI is taking advantage. Every other private island feels like a luxury resort. Not here.

Our jet ski guide said you can't snorkel at Haiti because the locals have overfished it and there aren't enough fish. They're that desperate. Such wealth of middle class Westerners juxtaposed against such dire poverty...

I would like to believe RCI, but they seemed to have set up the system that continues the cycle of poverty.

They aren't though. They only let in a few, leave them in the same low level jobs, and hire your service manager from South Africa. There are ladies sitting around in the restrooms handing out towels expecting a tip like any 3rd world area. That's helping? It's not a knock on Haiti, but RCI is taking advantage. Every other private island feels like a luxury resort. Not here.

Our jet ski guide said you can't snorkel at Haiti because the locals have overfished it and there aren't enough fish. They're that desperate. Such wealth of middle class Westerners juxtaposed against such dire poverty...

I would like to believe RCI, but they seemed to have set up the system that continues the cycle of poverty.

Don't agree with you at all. Labadee compares well with the other Private Islands. I have been to Princess Cay, Half Moon Bay and Grand Stirrup. In some ways it is better than the others.

Labadee does provides jobs that would not exist without RCI being there. That does break the cycle of poverty. As for whether RCI being there is positive or negative I have a co worker who immigrated from Cape Haitian which is near Labadee and still has family in the area. I asked him what he thought about Labadee. He thought it was great.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I just hate reading posts from people that knock Royal Caribbean for employing the

Haitian people in Labadee.

Maybe they are not giving them corporate jobs, or saving the entire island, but they've done a heck of alot more than many other people, to try to make their life a little bit better.

I haven't heard about the other cruiselines hauling food and supplies, building schools and

generally contributing to the local economy, like they have.

Some people just don't get it that if they were not there, the Haitians would would have a little less than they do now.

• 3 weeks later...
I would also like to know? I'm leaving soon and don't know if I should do Malfini Beach or the Cultural tour?? Opinions would be great please

TBN hubby here:

Haven't done the cultural tour so can't say but we enjoyed the Mafini beach. Small, quiet beach in a protected cove, about 10-minute boat ride away from the pier. Interesting snorkeling but, at the time, a couple of years ago, we had to have our own equipment. No rental or equipment available as part of the tour, then. Lots of nice, live coral but not many fish. We went in the morning and returned just as lunch was being served.

They had a glass bottom kayak and a bar.

We would do it again...

Edited by tinybabynurse

• 3 years later...

DH and DD loved the zip line. They have you do a little mini one first them take you up to the top of the mountain by jeep for the zip line.

One thing I noticed at Labadee that I didn't see at the other private islands are men following you around to set up a chair for you. I noticed this all three times I've been there. They do expect a tip, so bring a few $$ with you. The first time we were there I didn't think to bring any cash and this guy followed us till we picked our spot and offered to set up our chairs. He then hovered around us till we told him sorry we didn't bring any money. Hopefully RC pays them and they are not just relying on tips. Most people don't think to bring cash to the island since it's a private island that you can use your card for drinks.