Viking Sun

GT38

I just booked a Caribbean cruise which includes a stop in Havana on the Viking Sun for Dec 2017. This will be their 4th ship. Does anyone know when it is being delivered?

I saw a press release on the Sun, and the world cruise it will be embarking on out of Miami (Dec 15, 2017). A quick mention states that it will be "delivered in late 2017".

I was trying to find similar information on the Spirit, as we'll be sailing her in July 2018. That same press release mentioned "the two remaining yet-to-be-named ships will be delivered in 2018 and 2020, respectively".

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.vikingcruises.com/press/press-releases/viking-sun-world-cruise.html

Enjoy your cruise!

I saw a press release on the Sun, and the world cruise it will be embarking on out of Miami (Dec 15, 2017). A quick mention states that it will be "delivered in late 2017".

I was trying to find similar information on the Spirit, as we'll be sailing her in July 2018. That same press release mentioned "the two remaining yet-to-be-named ships will be delivered in 2018 and 2020, respectively".

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.vikingcruises.com/press/press-releases/viking-sun-world-cruise.html

Enjoy your cruise!

If the delivery date of the Sea is any indication, the ships are scheduled for 'delivery' just a few weeks before the first scheduled cruise. There will be some sort "shakedown" cruise for the hotel operation to get up to speed and then the maiden voyage.

Piecing it together from posts here on CC, on March 17, the registry of the Sea changed from Italian to Norwegian. On March 25, the Sea departed from Venice (with passengers) on its way to Istanbul to begin the maiden voyage on April 3 or 4. The Sea was christened in Greenwich (London) on May 5.

• 4 weeks later...
I just booked a Caribbean cruise which includes a stop in Havana on the Viking Sun for Dec 2017. This will be their 4th ship. Does anyone know when it is being delivered?

Sounds like you might possibly experience more than just one new thing (Cuba!) on your cruise unless the ship gets delivered earlier than expected! Unfortunately, it's really expensive to send a new ship on a trial run with no passengers, so someone's gotta be the first. I would still do it in a heartbeat, though....I'm jealous!

Edited by roothy123

• 5 weeks later...

I just got off the Sea and signed up for the Sun's Cuba trip on Dec. 8th. I was told her shakedown cruise will be on the way over the Atlantic and her first with customers will be the Dec 1 cruise to Cuba and Cemtral America. The two Cuba cruises are short ones just to get her ready for the 15th world cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 year later...
I sure hope the first cruise with paying customers on the viking SUN is not December 1st!!! There are three cruises scheduled to sail the Adriatic in October and we're on one of them. From what I'm reading October 4th is the first paying customer cruise from Venice to Athens.

With Viking, a lot can change in a year. They found that the Sun would be ready a lot earlier than expected and they added more sailings, bumping December 1 out of "first sailing" position.

I just got off the Sea and signed up for the Sun's Cuba trip on Dec. 8th. I was told her shakedown cruise will be on the way over the Atlantic and her first with customers will be the Dec 1 cruise to Cuba and Cemtral America. The two Cuba cruises are short ones just to get her ready for the 15th world cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually, Sun's doing 4 "Cultural Cuba" trips, with the first one starting mid-November. You, Viking, and cruisers can call these cruises what you want. However, I doubt there will be many things to "shake down" - although with Viking going to Cuba for the first time, I'm sure a small surprise or two is to be expected. Ocean cruising, especially cruising to a new port or country, under new U.S. rules, and on a new ship, is certainly subject to some changes or hiccups.

Yay, I'm going to Cuba! Even if it's not perfect in every way, every day, I'm sure it will be a great experience!