DOD Travel Restrictions to Mexico?

andersonrm

• 5 weeks later...

We just got back from a western carrib cruise to mexico, (costa Maya and Cozumel) on the Radiance of the Seas out of Tampa, Fl. There were no restrictions. that I know of, however I higjly recommend checking the state dpartment website. There they will have all rstrictions for military and recommended restrictions for civil servants as well. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there are restrictons on travel to Mexico. Several states have been placed on the "prohibited" list for all active duty: Michoacan, Tamaulipas, Chihuahua, Sinaloa, Durago, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, San Luis Potosi. In addition, it is recommended that travel to Guerrero (including Acapulco) be deferred--although this state has not been placed on the off-limits list.

For those in the Air Force (can't answer to other services), travel to other states in Mexico require the approval of the first O-6 in the chain of command. I had to complete the appropriate forms and provide the complete itinerary along with proposed excursions before my Mexican Riveria cruise last month, but there was no problem getting approval.

Edited by BassettMom

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bassettmom,

I am an AF civ and my husband is AD Army...we are planning a cruise with a Cozumel stop...I have heard we can't get off...know anything about this? I am waiting to hear from my security office, but nothing yet and we want to be sure we can book...thanks!

Lexsmomma

• 2 weeks later...
Bassettmom,

I am an AF civ and my husband is AD Army...we are planning a cruise with a Cozumel stop...I have heard we can't get off...know anything about this? I am waiting to hear from my security office, but nothing yet and we want to be sure we can book...thanks!

Lexsmomma

There was an AFNorth message that came out last year, but I haven't seen anything recently. The message stated that several states in Mexico were prohibited. I'm not sure what state Cozumel is in (you could google it and find out). I'm trying to find out if the restrictions are still in effect or if there is a more recent message since I'm going back on a Mexican Riviera cruise over New Years and need to know if I need to resubmit a request for approval to travel to Mexico. Even if one of the ports was prohibited I'd still go on the cruise, but would stay on the ship for that particular port.

If I find out anything more, I'll let you know.

• 4 months later...
There was an AFNorth message that came out last year, but I haven't seen anything recently. The message stated that several states in Mexico were prohibited. I'm not sure what state Cozumel is in (you could google it and find out). I'm trying to find out if the restrictions are still in effect or if there is a more recent message since I'm going back on a Mexican Riviera cruise over New Years and need to know if I need to resubmit a request for approval to travel to Mexico. Even if one of the ports was prohibited I'd still go on the cruise, but would stay on the ship for that particular port.

If I find out anything more, I'll let you know.

BassettMom, were you able to get approval again? My family is trying to plan a cruise for this new year's and my brother in law is in the air force. One stop on our cruise is in mexico (cozumel) and we're wondering if he will get approval to come on the cruise. Thanks for the help.

A friend of mine just married an AD Army officer. He/they is/are forbidden to travel to Mexico. Period. DK if that's everyone, or just his specialty.

And I think, but am not certain, that the ban applies equally to her.

I just pulled this information (last updated 22 FEB):

"COMMANDER USNORTHCOM PROHIBITS NON-OFFICIAL TRAVEL (LEAVE AND PASS) TO THE FOLLOWING STATES IN MEXICO: MICHOACAN, TAMAULIPAS, CHIHUAHUA, SINALOA, DURANGO, COAHUILA, NUEVO LEON, SAN LUIS POTOSI, ZACATECAS, AND JALISCO."

There is no impediment to travelling in any of the other states in Mexico other than having the necessary travel documents, i.e., there is no need for a country clearance. So, the majority of states tourists visit are okay to visit except for Puerto Vallarta

http://http://www.floramex.com/mexicomap.htm

• 4 weeks later...
BassettMom, were you able to get approval again? My family is trying to plan a cruise for this new year's and my brother in law is in the air force. One stop on our cruise is in mexico (cozumel) and we're wondering if he will get approval to come on the cruise. Thanks for the help.

I didn't have any problems getting approval, but none of the port calls were in prohibited states. We are still required to submit the paperwork for approval, but so far, I don't know of anyone who wasn't approved.

(I did have some issues with going to China on my last cruise, but that is a whole different issue.)

• 1 month later...
A friend of mine just married an AD Army officer. He/they is/are forbidden to travel to Mexico. Period. DK if that's everyone, or just his specialty.

And I think, but am not certain, that the ban applies equally to her.

Leave to any foreign location is technically subject to the approval of the first O6 commander in your chain of command. If he is forbidden to travel to Mexico. Period. That is a local command policy. Doesn't change reality for your friend, but it lends a little perspective as to why it is what it is. A commander can't forbid a spouse from doing anything, so if she wants to roll across the border, there won't be anyone to stop her.

I just pulled this information (last updated 22 FEB):

"COMMANDER USNORTHCOM PROHIBITS NON-OFFICIAL TRAVEL (LEAVE AND PASS) TO THE FOLLOWING STATES IN MEXICO: MICHOACAN, TAMAULIPAS, CHIHUAHUA, SINALOA, DURANGO, COAHUILA, NUEVO LEON, SAN LUIS POTOSI, ZACATECAS, AND JALISCO."

There is no impediment to travelling in any of the other states in Mexico other than having the necessary travel documents, i.e., there is no need for a country clearance. So, the majority of states tourists visit are okay to visit except for Puerto Vallarta

http://http://www.floramex.com/mexicomap.htm

This NORTHCOM message has been repeated every year for at least the past 5 years. The bottom line is that you can't drive into Mexico or visit any of the states on the border with the exception of southern Baja.

• 1 year later...
I just went to Cancun last year which is in the same state as Cozumel and I was allowed with no problems. This was for NIOC Maryland (Navy Command on Fort Meade), but I really don't think it would be a problem for many other commands either. They are both in the state of Quintana Roo.

Small world! I just retired out of NIOC Norfolk. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...