Lunch on Embarkation?

tonyt

I hate the buffet. We always go to the Bistro on 5 and get delicious crepes and a bottle of wine. It's $5 pp (plus your bev), but it's a great way to start your cruise.

Edited by wolfpackmom

Just an FYI.....we were turned away on embarkation day last year without a reservation. They were too busy to accommodate us.

I've never heard that Bistro takes reservations. There's no way to make a reservation on embarkation day---it's not on the website.

Well, that's what the gentleman asked when we approached the entrance. He asked if we had a reservation, we told him no, and he politely said they would not be able to seat us and that we should try again later in our cruise. We did have delayed embarkation due to a issue with some disembarking passengers from the prior sailing. That's all we were told, but our embarkation was delayed about an hour (maybe more, I can't remember) and then when we did start the embarkation process, the staff pushed hard to get passengers on board as quickly as they could, resulting in a few thousand people all hungry, looking for a seat, etc. The buffet was a mob scene, Bistro was full. We got some food and went back to our cabin and enjoyed our balcony.

Edited by obnurse
typo

Never heard of reservations for Bistro. Aqua Spa cafe is usually open (it is free) and I think you can get hamburgers at the pool grill. The MDR is not open, although I have heard of a special lunch there for B2B passengers.

Have had special lunch situations when traveling b2b, but that has been the exception not the rule.

We've visited ships a few times with travel agent groups. They put on a very nice, limited menu luncheon in the MDR. Usually a choice of filet mignon or salmon, wine flowed freely, I think if there were B2B passengers aboard, they may have been invited also.

I specifically remember doing it on the Mercury and Galaxy when they were new ... I feel old now ;)

WE were on board roughly around 11-12 for the New Years, 2014 cruise on the Equinox and we walked right into the Bistro. There were only maybe 3 other couples. I had read on the Secrets of Celebrity that it was the place to go, and they were right. Well worth the 5 bucks. As for the Italian Crepe...leave them for me I love them!:D

Add another vote for Bistro on 5. We were the only ones in the restaurant when we boarded the Millie last June. Well worth the $5 and very relaxing having the whole place to ourselves! I think it was only about 2:30ish in the afternoon so not late at all. And the food was delicious!

What dining venues, other than the buffet, are open on embarkation?

Any special dining room for Elite members?

If Bistro on five is busy, try the Porch. They make wonderful pannini's, salads, soup and have great desserts also. The cost is also $5 pp plus beverage if you do not have the drink package. The porch is currently only on the Silhouette and the Reflection. Another great spot to wait for your cabin to be ready.

No special dining room for Elite members.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

Did Bistro on 5 on the Equinox last year- loved the crepes, small salad and glass of champagne!! Headed on the Century in April- think our only options are the buffet (not a fan!) or the Mast Grille, right??

Can anyone confirm that the Mast Grill is open on embarkation day? Also I am going on the Reflection in a couple of weeks and have looked over the web for a menu on the grill and so far have only found hamburgers/hot dogs and fries. Am I missing anything else they serve for food?

If Bistro on five is busy, try the Porch. They make wonderful pannini's, salads, soup and have great desserts also. The cost is also $5 pp plus beverage if you do not have the drink package. The porch is currently only on the Silhouette and the Reflection. Another great spot to wait for your cabin to be ready.

No special dining room for Elite members.

Enjoy your cruise

Great idea!! We also like Bistro on embarkation day, but this summer we might try the Porch for a change.:):)

Can anyone confirm that the Mast Grill is open on embarkation day? Also I am going on the Reflection in a couple of weeks and have looked over the web for a menu on the grill and so far have only found hamburgers/hot dogs and fries. Am I missing anything else they serve for food?

Yes it is open and yes burgers and dogs are pretty much the menu.

Did Bistro on 5 on the Equinox last year- loved the crepes, small salad and glass of champagne!! Headed on the Century in April- think our only options are the buffet (not a fan!) or the Mast Grille, right??

You might try the Aqua Spa cafe and see if it is open. It is free.

When we boarded the equinox last November we went to Bistro at about 12pm and were,told they were full and a table would be available in about thirty minutes, we went over to cafe al Bacio for a coffee and after about twenty minutes a table was ready. On some sailings it seems popular on others it doesn't :)

On the Eclipse in May 2013 on sea days you needed a reservation to eat at Bistro most times as well but the cruise was on code red and people were avoiding the buffet. :eek: