Overnight parking at Kahului and Nawiliwili

Mauser girl

I am traveling with my 84 year old mom and 3 sisters. We plan on renting a car.I was wondering if there is overnight parking at Kahului and Nawiliwili or will I need to return the car for each day? Also, if there is parking at the pier, what is the fee? Also, does anyone reccommend lu'aus at either of thes ports? Thanks so much for any help with renting cars at ports for the Pride of America.

We just got back today and we parked at the pier at Kahului around 5:30pm and there were still quite a few spots left open.

Do you know of a "Plan B" if all the spots are gone? The parking thing is bugging me too.

Thanks for your help.

We just returned and can answer your questions about parking. In Maui, we returned the first night about 7:30pm. All the spots were gone in the parking lot as well as along the sea wall. There is a security office upon entering the terminal and they directed us and many other cars on where to park. We parked up the road a bit in an industrial area. Not a far walk at all. They also parked cars in another area but those drivers were told they had to move their car by 7am. Parking was free here.

In Kauai, there is a lot about a three minute walk from the terminal. They charged $20 for the night.

If you are renting cars and taking a shuttle from the terminal, the shuttle drivers do a good job of telling/showing you where to park.

We just returned and can answer your questions about parking. In Maui, we returned the first night about 7:30pm. All the spots were gone in the parking lot as well as along the sea wall. There is a security office upon entering the terminal and they directed us and many other cars on where to park. We parked up the road a bit in an industrial area. Not a far walk at all. They also parked cars in another area but those drivers were told they had to move their car by 7am. Parking was free here.

In Kauai, there is a lot about a three minute walk from the terminal. They charged $20 for the night.

If you are renting cars and taking a shuttle from the terminal, the shuttle drivers do a good job of telling/showing you where to park.

Thank you!! This is perfect, excellent information! I really appreciate it.:D

Aloha WILLSTER!!!!******

Come join us on the May 9th Roll Call. Other passengers from this cruise have gathered together and are chatting away. We'd love for you to join in. Go to Boards....Roll Call.....Norwegian......Find our thread. See you there!!;)

We just returned too from Hawaii and would recommend that you reserve a car in advance and not wait until you get to the port. In Kauai for example, I heard several people saying such and such rental company had no cars available (it was about 8:30am at that point).

I went with Hertz 4 times during this trip and never waited more than 2 min at the counter to get my car and was upgraded from full size to SUV or premium every time (with a coupon from AAA), which was nice. I also noticed that the Hertz shuttle was always less busy than Thrifty's or Alamo's. Not sure about Budget/Avis. I know Hertz was more expensive for me, but in the end it was worth it.

We also rented a full size van (12 people) from Dollar in Maui, and it was a fairly recent van with ~7000 miles on it. As far as I know only Dollar and Thrifty have those. It worked well for us, and parking at the beach, stores,e etc... was never a problem. As somebody else mentioned, the overnight parking in Maui is full at the port after ~7:30pm. That night, we got one of the last spaces on the sea wall (the overflow parking lot) and it was raining pretty hard too...

Aloha WILLSTER!!!!******

Come join us on the May 9th Roll Call. Other passengers from this cruise have gathered together and are chatting away. We'd love for you to join in. Go to Boards....Roll Call.....Norwegian......Find our thread. See you there!!;)

Aloha to you...

Thanks for the invite and I just found the Roll Call and posted :)

So much helpful information...

I'm so excited talking (err, writing about Hawaii) that I am getting jittery :D

We are behind though, still have some days to plan, etc...

We booked just a little while ago so we aren't as prepared as many of you but don't doubt that with all the helpful info on this site that it will take long...

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Amanda

We also did the overnight parking. In Maui we stayed at one of the resorts for a nice option off the ship to get more of that island feel which was a lot of fun. That way you can park at the resort- and experience Lahaina at night : )

On Kauai we did the $20.00 overnight parking and had no trouble getting there around 7pm- they are very well organized and had security.

• 7 years later...

Best option Kahului:

Park@Longs Drugs at athe Maui mall. Just make sure you buy something at Longs Drugs, and leave receipt on dashboard to prove you're a patron.

Or the more secure option(but will cost you) of parking @ airport and taking a half hour bus ride(or even more expensive taxi)

Nawiliwili:

Overnight@Anchor Cove $20. Spaces fill up pretty fast. Got there around 3ish, only a few spaces left (maybe 5-7spaces):)

Edited by cruiseshipjumper
update

Best option Kahului:

Park@Longs Drugs at athe Maui mall. Just make sure you buy something at Longs Drugs, and leave receipt on dashboard to prove you're a patron.

Or the more secure option(but will cost you) of parking @ airport and taking a half hour bus ride(or even more expensive taxi.

We are curious as to where you got your information about parking at Maui Mall and also that it is a half hour bus ride that you have to pay for from the airport to Kahului Harbor.

We are curious as to where you got your information about parking at Maui Mall and also that it is a half hour bus ride that you have to pay for from the airport to Kahului Harbor.

With so many recent discussions on this subject it's odd to reply to a 2009 thread. And like you, I know it's not a 30 minute bus ride & is less than 10 minutes on the public bus between the airport & stops closest to the ship.

http://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/4353

Although I just noticed that was their first post so they know how to search but still wondering about its accuracy.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Best option Kahului:

Or the more secure option(but will cost you) of parking @ airport and taking a half hour bus ride(or even more expensive taxi)

Nawiliwili:

Overnight@Anchor Cove $20. Spaces fill up pretty fast. Got there around 3ish, only a few spaces left (maybe 5-7spaces):)

All of the 2009 posts should be ignored as this info is extremely outdated. If you wanted to add your thoughts to the parking situations in these two ports, why not post on one of the more current ones with info on the "current" situation from 2016 and 2017.

Kahului. Re the airport parking. Why on earth would anyone need to take a city bus or taxi back to the port? The overnight parking lot is adjacent to the car rental offices where cruisers rent their cars. They ride the rental office shuttle form port to office to pick up their cars. They park in the overnight lot at the airport at the end of the day, walk a few feet back to the rental office and take the free shuttle back to the ship. No need for city bus or taxi.

If you read some of the current threads, you will see why it is not recommended to park in the mall parking lot in Maui. It does not matter what the clerk at the rental desk says (unless they have agreed to pay your tow bill and associated fees and will compensate you for your lost day spent finding and retrieving your car). The fees are outlined in one of those current threads. The mall management has confirmed ( see other threads ) that they do not allow overnight parking. The parking lot in question has signs to that effect posted in the lot.

Cruisers can make their own choices based on their risk tolerance, but they really should have all of the info before making that decision.

Thank you Astro for your response. I stand corrected, 6min bus ride; 20min walk time(Google map #35 or#40 bus routes).Info on parking @ Longs SUGGESTED by rental agency, and yes I did attempt it.

Google tells us that walking from the airport to the harbor is more like 46 minutes. We are familiar with the area and feel that is more correct than 20 minutes, so again as suggested do be careful and double-check whatever figures you are quoted - not only for yourself but for others who might read what you report and take it as fact. Also, do note that bus routes 35 and 40 drop you at Safeway which, even though the schedule says "Safeway/Maui Mall entrance", is across the street from the back side of the Mall and not at the dock.

Nawiliwili:

If you swing buy after getting your rental and purchase your pass, there will be a spot open for you. They will not give it away.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from our cruise. We only used 2 day rental in Maui so cannot answer for Nawiliwili. We were strictly told by the shuttle bus driver to use the airport for overnight parking and to NOT use the free mall parking. We were charged $15 for overnight parking at the airport.

Just returned from our cruise. We only used 2 day rental in Maui so cannot answer for Nawiliwili. We were strictly told by the shuttle bus driver to use the airport for overnight parking and to NOT use the free mall parking. We were charged $15 for overnight parking at the airport.

It's understandable to me for rental car agencies to inform cruise ship passengers to not park at the mall. If it was towed that would create issues for them to retrieve it from the impound lot & getting the renter to pay for towing, storage & possibly for a parking citation.

If you swing buy after getting your rental and purchase your pass, there will be a spot open for you. They will not give it away.

Where do you pay? There are a number of stores there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just returned from our cruise. We only used 2 day rental in Maui so cannot answer for Nawiliwili. We were strictly told by the shuttle bus driver to use the airport for overnight parking and to NOT use the free mall parking.

He/she merely advised you to do what was legal. Parking at the mall is free as long as you are shopping there, but (as the signs clearly state in their parking lot) overnight parking is not allowed. Would you park in a marked tow-away zone at home? What is different about doing it on vacation? Why take unnecessary chances?