A free Nassau shore excursion - April 8, 2006

zydecocruiser

A Walking Tour of Nassau...

Nassau was the only port on my recent Carnival Liberty cruise where I did not have a firm plan in advance of what I would do there.

Had thought about Pearl Island excursions, but thought it would be crowded with 6 ships in port and all reports indicated that it was. Two people from my dinner table did the treasure hunt and found no treasure - perhaps the earlier cruisers had looted it all. They are supposed to reseed, so who knows. They did end up with a couple of smelly conch shells for their trouble.

Considered Atlantis, but it just seems like a waste of a port and more of a destination in itself to be discovered another day.

So, decided to do a self-guided walking tour. Of cours I had forgotton my notes -liberated from here:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

and a map to go with:

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg/251_walkingtourhistoricnassau.jpg

From the ship you should be able to see a number of points of interest

1) Atlantis

2) Straw Market

3) Senior Frogs

4) British Colonial Hilton (was a Sheraton when I stayed there, me thinks).

EGvgBY8MjGKDQdxJPOj49s3WCzUoD0l+0300.jpg

lpktqvFzJ1wAlUlpIYjg4qxCMYLutLSG0300.jpg

X9s1tjfVcEY-FbhFSFYWsLtSi2Ef25jy0300.jpg

D5JfTXpi+ubL1miAy-rNEWYYoWhnkzyo0300.jpg

There is no shortage of maps and booklets available inside Festival Place which is hard to miss and in fact, I don't think you can. I picked up a couple of maps and a couple of booklets and off I went. One note - bring water with - going up hills and stairs can lead to much thirst.

nvuBzAog1htAsKxjXV7c5OjywoTy8MXM0300.jpg

Decided it was time from a break and some foooooooooooood and spotted here:

qKAMxor7aYNOGgCsj0FQpbl9CkFOnsgp0300.jpg

Some conch fritters and a Planter's Punch, along with a couple glasses of water seemed in order.

fh35UYAry86z6nTceyA0mSjfjm2NwQ030300.jpg

BAhnHFb77aaCotC7-qOL0QjCb-mFE-HB0300.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. They were tasty. not lots of conch (maybe that is how they are supposed to be?), but tasty.

M0iwyW9A2maM3AEECvXkuLo8d8dgk1TU0300.jpg

With beverages

lK7Vgs1t38UvkaS1vG2JLr0r+b6puhuZ0300.jpg

zydecocruiser- Thanks for posting all of your photos! We are going to Nassau first time in 40 days! I was considering doing this walk before we got our Dolphin Encounter booked, and now don't know if we have time. How long did it take you to walk the tour, and how long do you think it would be to walk from the ship to the Straw Market only? Seems like that is a main tourist attraction and since this is our first time there, we are all about the touristy stuff. :D

Thanks!!