Lost Property Discarded

Wilco28

Hi have just finished my first cruise on the Celebrity Reflection. Had a lovely time until I realised I had left a dress in the wardrobe after I disembarked. I called straight away to be told that all items left behind are discarded due to health reasons! Has anybody else ever heard of such a policy?:confused:

Hi have just finished my first cruise on the Celebrity Reflection. Had a lovely time until I realised I had left a dress in the wardrobe after I disembarked. I called straight away to be told that all items left behind are discarded due to health reasons! Has anybody else ever heard of such a policy?:confused:

Were you able to call directly to the ship or did you call Celebrity's home office? I'm curious with whom you spoke. Not specific name but job position. A random phone representative?

I know some people just leave their old clothes thinking the employees from 3rd world countries would be happy to have them. It's been discussed here on cruise critic and other travel websites. This, probably, made the cruise lines to issue a rule of discarding, as there is no way to figure out if an item was forgotten or left behind deliberately.

Besides, where and for how long would the cruise company keep the items? Some cruisers buy cheap things for cruise only, and leave them in the cabin. I am guilty of this too :o How is the cabin attendant to know if this is garbage or a forgotten item?

Sure, everything gets discarded in a hurry to clean up the cabin for next guests.

Others have posted on CC that if they put things they do not want in the garbage then the room attendant will leave it out thinking it was a mistake

Something in the drawers or closet would make me think it was left accidentally :confused:

Others have posted on CC that if they put things they do not want in the garbage then the room attendant will leave it out thinking it was a mistake

:confused:

I can attest to that. On an RC cruise, I discovered that the lycra was totally shot in one of the bathing suits that I had packed. Fortunately, I had a spare suit, so I just tossed the ratty one in the cabin trash bin. Later, I returned to find the old bathing folded neatly on my bed. I actually had to pin a note to it, explaining that I really was discarding it! ;)

On a recent cruise I found a cell phone on one of the shelves in the closet. Assuming it was from the previous occupant of that cabin, I turned it in to the purser's desk, with an explanation. I assumed (and hoped) Princess would have gotten the phone back to its rightful home, and not simply discarded it as junque.:o

On HAL, several times I put a pair of shoes that hurt in the wastebasket or a pair of shorts I didn't like etc.... Steward always retrieved them and left them on the counter. I learned, finally, to place a note on the items when I really wanted them thrown out. :)

They must have had guests through the years that blamed them for discarding something they didn't want thrown out so they have been trained to be careful about disposal.

I had this on RC.

We realised that my dad had left a new woollen jumper on the chair in his cabin. We were in the queue to be "pinged" off the ship. I mentioned it to a cruise member who said to e-mail lost property as soon as we got off as there were lots of people behind me and he said the room would have already been cleaned.

I e-mailed within an hour of getting home to receive a message saying that they never returned clothing due to Health and Safety.

I was really cross as I could have gone back (even if it was a bit awkward) as the jumper cost £90. I offered to pay postage as well.

• 2 months later...

We have just come off Oasis of the Seas and realised my son had left his beloved Eddie the Teddy in his pull down bed. I emailed RCCL lost and found and received a reply stating that due to "health and safety reasons" they do not keep "stuffed animals". After reading this thread I realise this is now a standard reply. Do you think they would have thrown away a teddy bear? Is everything left just thrown away? I have emailed them again but losing hope. I have one devastated little boy:(

We have just come off Oasis of the Seas and realised my son had left his beloved Eddie the Teddy in his pull down bed. I emailed RCCL lost and found and received a reply stating that due to "health and safety reasons" they do not keep "stuffed animals". After reading this thread I realise this is now a standard reply. Do you think they would have thrown away a teddy bear? Is everything left just thrown away? I have emailed them again but losing hope. I have one devastated little boy:(

Welcome to Cruise Critic! So sorry this happened to your son. :(

Wonder which type of items they do keep and, when requested, make an effort to return. :confused:

LuLu

My husband noticed he forgot the car/house keys in a drawer on our South American cruise after we were headed to the airport.:eek:

Once at the airport he called Celebrity, explained the situation and they said they "would try" to contact the ship. He gave a description of the keys and key ring and explained how important it was to get them back. We had to call family to open the door for us at home and thankfully I had an extra key for his car.

He called the next day and they said they sent a message to the ship and our cabin steward. They said to call back in a few days. He did and they had the keys. We had to wait until they docked in Buenos Aires and pay for international shipping but 4 wks after the cruise he got his keys back. :D

I was very impressed with Celebrity!