Passengers removed from ship for failure to muster

blazeinthesun

Information from a friend who works at Port Everglades for the Sheriff's Office, this past weekend on a HAL Jazz Cruise, several passengers failed to appear for muster. They were located and removed from the ship, including the engineer for one of the jazz bands. Serious stuff...finally!

Information from a friend who works at Port Everglades for the Sheriff's Office, this past weekend on a HAL Jazz Cruise, several passengers failed to appear for muster. They were located and removed from the ship, including the engineer for one of the jazz bands. Serious stuff...finally!

What a bunch of idiots. Do you know which ship?

Really? *(not doubting you at all but wow!) When I sailed Princess the last time, they told me I could skip it as I had sailed before and could just watch it on TV. Now this is the way it should be! We are told to be there and we should be!

On all the Hal cruises I've been on, the muster drill occurs after we left port and are out to sea.

How do they remove passengers in the middle of the ocean?

Just curious-how many HAL cruises have you been on? We have been on 7, and every lifeboat drill was done before sailing. In fact of our 15 cruises, all but one lifeboat drill was before sailing. The one was a midnight sailing from San Juan, with people still arriving onboard at 10pm. The lifeboat drill was the next morning before we docked.

On all the Hal cruises I've been on, the muster drill occurs after we left port and are out to sea.

I have to ask the same questions as Bruce on this one - we have been on one whole hal lot of cruises - tended to longer as we got on, but I have NEVER seen a muster after we got to sea. Every muster I have seen on HAL (and in fact on any ship I have been on) is the life boat drill is done BEFORE you sail. :confused: Make ups for people who arrive late are totally different and they MUST attend - that will be a sea day most likely =

My three recent HAL cruises all had the muster drill before we left port. But I don't recall them calling roll or collecting cabin numbers. I'm certain they didn't do that on my cruise last fall.

So does this mean they're taking attendance at the muster now? It makes things run a bit longer, but I think they should do that.

I think there must be more to the story than just skipping the drill. Being put off the ship seems a drastic punishment.

It is a rare few HAL cruises (out of a great many) that we did not have muster drill prior to sailing. It is most common for HAL muster to be at 4:15. Sailaway would most usually be 5 P.M.

On recent Maasdam cruise attendance was not taken so there is no way to know if we were at muster drill or not. Cannot believe story. On my 10 cruises I have been on (5 with HAL) all drills were done before sailing.

Last week the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam told our cruise critic group that if people fail to go to Muster drill they will be not allowed to sail. They will also go back to taking roll. They mean business in light of the Concordia .The roll call on Muster was suppose to start this past Saturday.

Edited by san diego sue

I am currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam and at the muster drill it was announced that anyone who refused to attend the muster drill would not be allowed to sail. I don't think it was anyone on our ship but I know the Westerdam left after we sailed. This was yesterday--Sunday.

Last week the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam told our cruise critic group that if people fail to go to Muster drill they will be not allowed to sail. They will also go back to taking roll. They mean business in light of the Concordia .The roll call on Muster was suppose to start this past Saturday.

I wonder if this will be stated in the contract of passage?

I've done something like 40 HAL cruises. The only time I can recall a muster after sailing was the Alaska cruise out of Seward when it was held the next morning. Since sailing was so late, and passengers were arriving right up until then, it couldn't be held late afternoon as is customary.

Now, as to the reason those passengers were let off, I suspect missing muster was part of the story, but only part.

It was a Jazz Cruise on HAL, and I believe it must have left this weekend from Fort Lauderdale as the discussion was today. I cannot "prove" it, but the information came from a Broward County Sheriff Deputy...don't know why they would make up the story. I do not know how many were involved, but was told more than one, with at least one of them from a jazz band booked onboard.

It is possible that the removal came on the heels of a bad attitude when they were finally located, that I cannot say.

Not trying to spread rumors, just had info that I thought was relevant, for the safety of all of us!

I told you about the announcement on the N.A. I think since the events overseas a couple weeks ago, these things are being

taken more seriously by the cruise line and guests alike.

Thanks Father - so this is really on the up and up? good:)