Cruise eats! The best you had at port?

njitalian76

BERMUDA, October 3rd, 2012 While in Bermuda I took a Cab ride to St. George from Heritage Wharf just off of the NCL Star. While I was in St. George I went to see St. Peter’s Church. It is the oldest Episcopal Church in the western hemisphere. The Church dates back to 1612 and is worth a tour. After leaving the church I went to the White Horse for lunch with my family. When I travel I try to find where the locals eat to gain a better sense of what the local cuisine is like. But this place is pretty much the only Game in town. The white Horse did not disappoint. We started with: Conch Fritters $11.75 Served with arugula salad and Key Lime Mustard Sauce. We also had the Fish Bites $9.25 Battered and fried local Wahoo with the House Tartar Sauce. The Conch Fritters were very good but the star was the Fish Bites. The Wahoo was white, meaty and very delicious. I then had a Crispy Fish Sandwich $12.95 made from Rock Fish. It was crispy, flaky and so good! It was served with a side of fries. The White Horse is a great place for family friends or the lone traveler. I highly Recommend this place for great service and quality food.

Edited by njitalian76

• 1 month later...

While at Port in Cozumel, we went to Margarita Ville pretty close by where we docked. Me and my family got the Volcano Nachos and man were they ever good!! It was the best nachos I've ever had.. Probably one of the best meals I've ever had!! To this day we still talk about those nachos. If ever at Margarita Ville, get the Volcano Nachos! :)

It would have to be a tie between the gigantic Mayan shrimp in Monterrico, Guatemala (a taxi drive from the port) and the nationally renowned sausage in Kotor, Slovenia. After going to the caves, it was a wonderful, warm meal.

Edit: and a cute little place called The Tapa Bar in Trounce Alley in Victoria, Canada. Amazing sangria and tapas to bring our Alaskan cruises to a close--we go back every time Victoria is on the itinerary!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by DesertPesce7751

A tie for sure.

1. A fish and chips shack right on the dock in Ketchikan. DH and I shared a basket of halibut and fries TEN years ago, and we still talk about it. I understand that they have expanded and moved off the dock but we will find them again, should we ever get back there.

2. Two years ago in Guernsey we got off the bus from a shore-ex and were going to take the tender back to the ship. There was a large crowd and it started to rain so we ran for a small coffee shop type place just down the street. They had a sign out for lobster salad so we ordered two of those. They didn't take credit cards or, usually, US money but they asked us to wait while they called the bank for the conversion. All was well and it was the most amazing salad we ever had. Huge, with eggs, beets, everything you could put on a salad plus an enormous serving of lobster. It ended up costing $40 for lunch for the two of us and was worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...

A. a lobster kabob on Goff's Cay Belize's barrier islands. We had been snorkeling for a while, and this young man had a grill going, doing lobster kabobs, and heating beans and corn in the can right on the grill. Hunger is the best seasoning. The view of the end of the world was fantastic (goff's cay is the last island in the chain, after that you got ocean until you get to Africa)

B. El Cid Cozumel, the worlds best guacamole and salsa (it kicked butt) !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The grilled octopus at Athena's in Nassau. It is SO tender and so unlike tako nigiri which is "crunchy", bland, and hard, which is all I knew octopus could be. However, it's $18 for a tiny plate and everytime I go back the portions keep getting smaller and smaller. :(

A. a lobster kabob on Goff's Cay Belize's barrier islands. We had been snorkeling for a while, and this young man had a grill going, doing lobster kabobs, and heating beans and corn in the can right on the grill. Hunger is the best seasoning. The view of the end of the world was fantastic (goff's cay is the last island in the chain, after that you got ocean until you get to Africa)

B. El Cid Cozumel, the worlds best guacamole and salsa (it kicked butt) !

That's where I'm going! and I hope they have lobsters available that day! :D Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Waiting for The Boss (DW) to go to work, I ran into this great board and it got us thinking. I have to admit that this can be a challenging response. so we'll post our top five:

Dubrovnik (Regent Mariner, Apr 2013): Moby Dick Restaurant where the grilled squid and sea bass was the best. This was accompanied with some blitva (potatoes and swiss chard) and an awesome local beer.

Nassau (Disney Dream, Feb 2012): Athena's squid as mentioned above. In our case, it was seven guys (including the groom) from our daughter's wedding party on the morning of her wedding onboard the Dream. Don't let the owner say "taste this." Two hours of eating and drinking beer, we got a bill for $750 bucks.

Athens (Brilliance of the Seas, Nov 2010): Side walk cafe below the Parthenon where we ate every Greek plate ever created. Best fries cooked in olive oil and tzatziki.

Barcelona (Brilliance/Regent, 2010/2013): Los Caracoles Restaurant. Unbelievable grilled shrimp appetizers and seafood paella accompanied with all the sangria we could drink. Although not a fan, The Boss loved the crema catalan (custard). The owners were incredibly gracious and sent us a glass of wine because they thought our table was too close to the open kitchen. We still talk about this place.

Old San Juan (Various): Cafe El Puerto Rico. Huge portions of local rice and beans, roast pork, casava (root veggie), mofongo (mashed plantains with garlic and shrimp), and Medalla Light beer.

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1