POM Parking with handicapped hanging card

BaseballMomof4

My question is, since the handicapped card that hangs from the rear view mirror has no name on it, how do they confirm it belongs to the passenger parking in the lot? Do they ask for other documentation for it or do they just allow the pax to park because they are in possession of the handicapped parking card?

My question is, since the handicapped card that hangs from the rear view mirror has no name on it, how do they confirm it belongs to the passenger parking in the lot? Do they ask for other documentation for it or do they just allow the pax to park because they are in possession of the handicapped parking card?

My Mom has had to show proof that she is the "owner" of the Handicap Card... I believe that the card has a number on it and my Mom has it either on her license or a separate card with her name on it that has the same #...

Also, make sure the person who owns the Handicap Card is in the car with you when you park... The first time we dropped Mom off at the terminal and went to park we had to pay the full amount. Only when we got home and Mom had to send in a copy of her handicap card, a copy of her boarding ticket and the receipt and then got a check back in the mail.

Since then we have had the wheelchair and she comes with me now!!! But, the handicap parking spots are close to the terminal :)

Yes they can and do check. DH who is handicapped was stopped as he walked across a parking lot by the police. They asked for his ID and checked to see if he was the person the hangtag was issued to. Hope you are not thinking about it if you are not handicapped. It's a big fine and they can tow if you are using it illegally. IMO

Yes they can and do check. DH who is handicapped was stopped as he walked across a parking lot by the police. They asked for his ID and checked to see if he was the person the hangtag was issued to. Hope you are not thinking about it if you are not handicapped. It's a big fine and they can tow if you are using it illegally. IMO

No, I was just wondering if we would need to bring along something identifying the tag like a letter from the doctor or something since it didn't have a name on it, that's all. I don't like last minute surprises!

In FL it just has a registration number on it. No name, no DOB. Just wondering if they require extra documentation if it doesn't have a name on it.

FL issues a registration card with the hanging HP placard which has the owners name, and duplicate information as on a vehicle registration card.

They will check...they also require proof of cruise.....I had to leave a Sign, and Sail card once because I didn't have proof (ticket) of sailing handy.

Larry'sLady....parking is free in all Miami City owned lots for Handicap people with proper tags, or placards.

FL issues a registration card with the hanging HP placard which has the owners name, and duplicate information as on a vehicle registration card.

They will check...they also require proof of cruise.....I had to leave a Sign, and Sail card once because I didn't have proof (ticket) of sailing handy.

Larry'sLady....parking is free in all Miami City owned lots for Handicap people with proper tags, or placards.

Not even sure if my mom is coming with us yet, but that's good to know. When I asked her, she said she just had the placard :rolleyes: so that tells me she doesn't realize she has something else to go with that! :eek: Sigh....mom is not the best with paperwork these days! :p

In FL it just has a registration number on it. No name, no DOB. Just wondering if they require extra documentation if it doesn't have a name on it.

I think you should take a better look at your tag.......there's more than just a registration number on it. Near the bottom there's a yellow sticker with the expiration date on it.

Look a little harder and you'll see your driver's license number in small print. The last time I parked at the port of miami, they asked to see my drivers license to match the number with the tag. ;)

Yes, in Florida the owner of the placard does indeed get a registration card with it that matches numbers on the placard.

And yes, that person needs to be there.

And yes, parking is free at POM for handicapped. (But not Fort Lauderdale or Tampa).

Yes, in Florida the owner of the placard does indeed get a registration card with it that matches numbers on the placard.

And yes, parking is free at POM for handicapped. (But not Fort Lauderdale or Tampa).

Or Jacksonville.

• 1 year later...

I sailed June last year with My dear Mother who has hanging placard, and I dropped her off with the rest of our party at the ship and I parked in the handicap space with no questions, When I left I went to get the car and was allowed out of the parking lot without any questions whatsoever!

Yes, there is a DL number on the FL decal and they will ask you for the DL of the owner of the decal. My DDad came with us on our last cruise so we took his car and used his decal. When we returned, we left Dad at the terminal and DH and I went to get the car, so he wouldn't have to walk to the parking lot. We needed Dad's DL which matched the tag, however, as they requested it at the exit gate.

OK,

So, clarifying.

We are driving down in my van.

We are taking my parents with us and THEY have a hanging placard for their window in their car. Since they are handicapped, can I put that placard in my van when we park in Miami as long as she is with me since she will have her DL with her? There is nothing in Indiana that identifies the placard to the person, but We definitly do not want to be dishonest. She has a hard time walking long distances. My dad has had 2 recent knee surgeries.

ALSO,

What is the fee for handicap parking at the POM?

What time can we park at the POM? I was told here on the message board one time that they stagger people coming in and out of the lots from the people leaving to the people coming in. We have FTTF and I want to get there inside by 10.

I just looked up for info on FLL. According to what I read, pull a ticket, find an attendant, he'll check your info and mark something on your ticket. When you leave, hand in the ticket.

I can only speak from my experience and what I know for FL. In FL you can use the placard/decal with any car as long as the person to whom it was issued is using the vehicle (i.e. Dad's decal also goes with him when he they use Mom's car). So I would think it would be fine to use the decal as long as your parents are with you on the trip. :)

POM handicap parking is free (or at least it was earlier this month when we were on the Victory). We usually arrive between 10-10:30. The lot was pretty full, however, as most of the passengers from the previous sailing were still making their way out. It pretty much depends on which Terminal and its respective parking, as to how crowded, but that was our experience earlier this month.

HTH :)

Edited by New2Cruising24
typo

How far is it from the handicapped parking to the Breeze, do you walk or have to take a shuttle? Does my husband drop me off or do I ride with him to park?

Thank you for all your help!

Pat:confused:

OK,

So, clarifying.

We are driving down in my van.

We are taking my parents with us and THEY have a hanging placard for their window in their car. Since they are handicapped, can I put that placard in my van when we park in Miami as long as she is with me since she will have her DL with her? There is nothing in Indiana that identifies the placard to the person, but We definitly do not want to be dishonest. She has a hard time walking long distances. My dad has had 2 recent knee surgeries.

ALSO,

What is the fee for handicap parking at the POM?

What time can we park at the POM? I was told here on the message board one time that they stagger people coming in and out of the lots from the people leaving to the people coming in. We have FTTF and I want to get there inside by 10.

UPDATE as of last week... Went on the Carnival Breeze with my Mom who is the one that has a the Handicap Tag... I dropped her off right outside the terminal with our luggage and went right across the street to the parking lot....

Stop to get a ticket upon entering the parking lot and got the first Handicap Spot outside first row... I do believe there are handicap spots in the covered parking lot but didnt even go inside...

Left the car and joined Mom and the others... Upon getting back, Mom came with me to the car (its right across the street and the police officer on duty stops traffic for you). We got in the car and went to the booth to checkout. Mom had to give the lady in the booth her drivers license and the placard and I watched as the lady in the booth took a picture of both, gave it back to me, said thank you and the gate opened :) No charge...

Drove out of the parking lot, again went right across the street and picked up the rest of the family and an easy exit out...

So, the person who is the owner of the Handicap Placard does not need to be with you when you park the car but does have to be with you when you are exiting the parking lot...

I can only speak from my experience and what I know for FL. In FL you can use the placard/decal with any car as long as the person to whom it was issued is using the vehicle (i.e. Dad's decal also goes with him when he they use Mom's car). So I would think it would be fine to use the decal as long as your parents are with you on the trip. :)

POM handicap parking is free (or at least it was earlier this month when we were on the Victory). We usually arrive between 10-10:30. The lot was pretty full, however, as most of the passengers from the previous sailing were still making their way out. It pretty much depends on which Terminal and its respective parking, as to how crowded, but that was our experience earlier this month.

HTH :)

In Mass, the placard has your photo on it, as well as an ID #, and an expiration date. It has a little sliding strip on it so you can block your photo from view. You get instructions that tell you how to hang it, and that you are subject to be challenged for your ID at any time by the authorities. Never have been asked, YET

UPDATE as of last week... Went on the Carnival Breeze with my Mom who is the one that has a the Handicap Tag... I dropped her off right outside the terminal with our luggage and went right across the street to the parking lot....

Stop to get a ticket upon entering the parking lot and got the first Handicap Spot outside first row... I do believe there are handicap spots in the covered parking lot but didnt even go inside...

Left the car and joined Mom and the others... Upon getting back, Mom came with me to the car (its right across the street and the police officer on duty stops traffic for you). We got in the car and went to the booth to checkout. Mom had to give the lady in the booth her drivers license and the placard and I watched as the lady in the booth took a picture of both, gave it back to me, said thank you and the gate opened :) No charge...

Drove out of the parking lot, again went right across the street and picked up the rest of the family and an easy exit out...

So, the person who is the owner of the Handicap Placard does not need to be with you when you park the car but does have to be with you when you are exiting the parking lot...

Yes! that how it's worked for us the past two sailings out of POM.