room TVs

ro

Does anyone know if the room televisions are enabled so I can use an HDMI cord, and/or if I can put a headphone jack in.

Thanks in advance to the most knowledgeable cruisers anywhere!

Does anyone know if the room televisions are enabled so I can use an HDMI cord, and/or if I can put a headphone jack in.

I can't answer that but I have heard that they disabled all the unused inputs to the TV's .

It varies from ship to ship mostly because some tv's are situated such that you can access the rear sockets and on some ships you cannot. There were times when I wished I had a mechanic's mirror (like a dentist mirror but on an extendable shaft) to see clearly behind the tv for any sockets.

The last cruise we ended up using my laptop.

Come prepared for disappointment.

Below is a photo of the back of our television on the Golden Princess. Due to the way that the television was mounted in the corner, it was very difficult to connect the HDMI cable (I doubt that I could have done it without first taking this photo to guide me). However, when I switched to the HDMI input, it produced a blank screen. Later I was informed that the HDMI port was disabled. But from what I have heard, that is not always the case.

I never noticed any USB ports.

Tim

8666638321_798c182a28.jpg

Golden Princess television connections by Terrific_surprise, on Flickr

Hard to tell...

The TVs vary by ship, with some reports that the Crapsonics on

Emerald are being changed out.

Some have additional inputs.

Some are mounted in such a way that they inputs can't be reached.

Some have the additional inputs disabled, or have no control on the

set or remote to select the 'input'.

Sometimes it works.

There will be posts like: "I did this on a particular ship, therefore

you can do it on any ship." Beware.

Edited by pablo222

We always use RCA cables to connect our portable DVD player. Have done it on Ruby, Pacific, Coral, Island, Caribbean and Pacific. All worked fine. :) Haven't tried to hook up HDMI cable.

Take a hand held mirror so that you can see where everything is on the back of the tv. Many are mounted so tightly to the wall you have to use it to maneuver the cords into the right place.

On the Ruby in the Penthouse Suite the TV's are bolted down and are a tight fit in the mounting location that you cannot get your hand back there and it won't move either. We had a seperate DVD player on the Living Room one. We don't use the TV's for much more than checking daily info and the Princess Ads when we get on the ship to see what is new. After that they are left off.

Yes, there is a headphone jack. We have used it to direct sound to a small iPod amplifier for improved and less tinny TV sound.

thanks so much; that's just what I wanted to know

I have connect my HDMI to the tv’s on the Golden, Sapphire, Island and Caribbean in inside cabins, balcony rooms, mini-suites and Penthouse Suites. I remember one was a real bear and without a small mirror propped up and a flashlight directed to the back I never could have done it.

I’ve also connected my camera to the rca jacks (red white yellow) and that worked too. However on a different ship when I connected my iPhone with just the sound (red and white no yellow video feed) it didn’t work. I don’t know if it was disabled or just didn’t work because it didn’t see a video signal.

Unless you’re in a suite the HDMI is unused. One of the tv’s in the suites has a DVD hooked up to it, but you can use the tv in the bedroom. Beware though the DVD player is NOT Blu-ray, so if you bring one from home it will not play.

I have hooked up to the TV HDMI ports in inside and balcony cabins on the Golden, Sapphire, Crown, and Island Princess ships. I usually snap a picture to scope it out then go by educated feel. I usually hook up my laptop to do picture shows and maybe to watch a DVD, but we usually don't end up having time for movies. YMMV.

Happy Cruising!

Mark