Flying to Paris in 3 days with a head cold!! eek!

pbnjrockette

:eek: Caught a head cold and am pushing fluids, vitamin C, am stuffed up and am really worried about blowing out my eardrums on the plane. Read somewhere about "Ear Planes"--earplugs that are supposed to equalize ear pressure. Cancelling the trip is not really an option... fighting this cold with all I can!!!

Oh no how awful... Go see your doctor and see what he suggests for your ears. Certainly a strong over the counter decongestant at the very least to dry you out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

My wife got me started using Zicam Rapid Melts at the beginning of a cold. I make fun of the "homeopathic" claims [which are double bogus because these things actually contain zinc, while true homeopathic medicines don't contain any measurable active ingredients -- but I digress], but these things do seem to work. Not that they cure the cold overnight, but they definitely seem to lessen the intensity of the symptoms -- which is what you are most concerned about for your flight. [but avoid Zicam nose spray -- it can ruin your sense of smell permanently.]

My Dr recommends, if I have a cold or am congested, Afrin nasal spray an hr before the flight takes off and again an hour before landing. He recommended this to me because I came down with a cold in Hawaii and flying home drove it into my sinuses, giving me a sinus infection. He specifically said not to use it other than those times, as it can cause a "rebound"effect, making people dependent upon it.

Good luck!

Becki

My Dr recommends, if I have a cold or am congested, Afrin nasal spray an hr before the flight takes off and again an hour before landing. He recommended this to me because I came down with a cold in Hawaii and flying home drove it into my sinuses, giving me a sinus infection. He specifically said not to use it other than those times, as it can cause a "rebound"effect, making people dependent upon it.

Good luck!

Becki

My Dr. said the exact same thing, only he said to spray with Afrin about 15 minutes before take-off and landing. It works! As for avoiding catching a cold ON the plane, I know it's been denied in some circles, but DH and I swear by Air Borne, twice a day every day starting 10 days before trip and continuing daily during the trip. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but it works for us.:)

Don't be in a hurry to pop antibiotics and decongestants unless absolutely necessary. Decongestants are practically guaranteed to give you a rebound effect, and antibiotics can give you gastrointestinal trouble, especially when you're already on a trip and more susceptible to an upset stomach.

I had a deviated septum for 15+ years (finally got it surgically fixed), which had resulted in every head cold turning into acute sinus infection, because my sinuses just couldn't drain. The only thing that worked was physically rinsing my sinuses out. The hardcore way: mix up 2 parts sea salt in 10 parts water and use an oral syringe to spray it into each nostril. Works like a charm but really burns :) My surgeon recommended NeilMed nasal rinse - it's not medicated, so won't create a rebound effect, but unlike salt, it's pH-balanced, so doesn't burn. There are other similar rinses, which as long as they are just simple saline solutions and not decongestants, can be liberally used. Basically the idea is that the more of that nasty stuff you wash out of your sinus cavities, the easier you're making it for your body to heal up.

Hello pbnjrockette,

:eek: Caught a head cold and am pushing fluids, vitamin C, am stuffed up and am really worried about blowing out my eardrums on the plane. Read somewhere about "Ear Planes"--earplugs that are supposed to equalize ear pressure. Cancelling the trip is not really an option... fighting this cold with all I can!!!

That is sooo unfortunate! I hope these earplugs work, otherwise such a long flight must be agony.

Hostjazzbeau mentioned homeopathy. I find the stuff - the real stuff, not some zinc concoction - works well. But I would see a proper homeopath for this I would not risk self-medication before a holiday.

I hope you will feel better soon and can fully enjoy your cruise.

notamermaid

I've used EarPlanes for years - with much success. It's important to use them exactly as directed and not try to make one set last forever. The best thing they do for me is regulate the pressure of take-offs and landings. I would not fly without them. I hope you feel better and have a great trip!

Thanks for all the fabulous suggestions!

Have purchased the "Ear Planes" and have Nasal spray for use before flight and a saline spray to keep lubricated during the flight; lots of tissues and a ziploc bag for on the plane, a ton of sugar-free lozenges (can't do menthol). Saw my health provider and she has prescribed a steroid as I am allergic to Z-pak. (Ears are full of fluid and sinuses are packed---fuller than my suitcase!!) Still have 48 hours to go and am trying to stay as stress-free as possible!

Thanks for all the fabulous suggestions!

Have purchased the "Ear Planes" and have Nasal spray for use before flight and a saline spray to keep lubricated during the flight; lots of tissues and a ziploc bag for on the plane, a ton of sugar-free lozenges (can't do menthol). Saw my health provider and she has prescribed a steroid as I am allergic to Z-pak. (Ears are full of fluid and sinuses are packed---fuller than my suitcase!!) Still have 48 hours to go and am trying to stay as stress-free as possible!

Just read up on Ear Planes as I have not heard of them. Noticed a warning to not use in cases of severe sinus congestion. :eek:

Link for your reference. http://www.travelgear.com.au/ear-planes-in-flight-ear-protection/

I hope it all clear up quickly and your have a comfortable flight and a marvellous cruise.

Oh my...desperate times.....have you tried a Neti pot to wash out your sinuses?

I won't describe it hear but it does help. It won't cure you, that's what the drugs are for, but it will speed the process and it's readily available at places like CVS. It's simple to use, not too expensive, can be used over and over again, and at worst if won't do anything, but it won't hurt you since no "drugs" are involved. Good luck.

again, thanks all! Yes, HydroKitty... NetiPot has been among my arsenal!! Using just plain warm water though as sinuses are verrry tender. Not nearly as clogged up as a few days ago.:confused: Feeling a bit better and it can only improve in 24 hours!! Just dreading the ear popping on the plane--hope those "ear planes" do the trick! Just heard from a fellow traveler who developed Bronchitis last week--we sure are a sorry bunch! (plus it's raining in Paris...:( pat

Edited by pbnjrockette

again, thanks all! Yes, HydroKitty... NetiPot has been among my arsenal!! Using just plain warm water though as sinuses are verrry tender. Not nearly as clogged up as a few days ago.:confused: Feeling a bit better and it can only improve in 24 hours!! Just dreading the ear popping on the plane--hope those "ear planes" do the trick! Just heard from a fellow traveler who developed Bronchitis last week--we sure are a sorry bunch! (plus it's raining in Paris...:( pat

A friend just cruised in Alaska - she flew out with URI and antibiotics. Collapsed on Rocky Mountaineer with pneumonia. Ambulance called and 4 days in hospital.

Please take care - let's know how you get on.

Pat, I have the same problem with ear popping and the best thing that works for me is to spray afrin about 15 minutes before takeoff and landing AND to chew gum while taking off and landing. I never tried (or heard of) ear planes, but I will look into them.

Good luck and at least you'll be in a country with good medical care!! :D

I use Ear Planes on every flight. I'm convinced that due to a combination of seasonal allergies and small facial structure, my ears don't handle the pressure as well as others and I used to routinely get off planes with my ears having a clogged sensation that could last until the next morning. Since I've started using Ear Planes, I do not have this problem -- I think I remember one time and it dissapated fairly rapidly. I'll need to try the Afrin technique next flight out! I normally take a sudafed prior to a flight to dry myself out, which works for shorter flights.

I've used the name brand Ear Planes as well as the Walgreens and Walmart store brands and they all seem to work equally well.

Ear Planes are like ear plugs. They're normally a little less than $5/pair, and they say a pair is good for 1 round-trip flight (or 2 flights). You can find them in the ear care section of a drug store, normally around the ear plugs. We've also bought them on Amazon. I've seen them in airport gift shops, but I think they tend towards $6-7.

The ear plug has a center tube with a little valve in it (I don't know scientifically, I'm just looking at some I had). It's supposed to help relieve air pressure.