Cruise lines that can fit 5 in a cabin???

AandBmom

I'm trying to figure out which cruise lines and which ships can accomodate 5 in a cabin (2 adults, 3 kids - ages 6yr, 5yr, 7mos).

Trying to go somewhere hot this spring (Caribbean or Bahamas)

I don't want to get 2 staterooms.

Can anyone suggest some cruise lines and ships to try.

Both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have "Family" staterooms on their ships (RCI has Family Oceanview and Family Suite; Celebrity has Family Verandah), which are meant to accomodate 5 people and which are saved for families of 5 until a later date when they're released for general booking. I was just looking at the Family Balcony cabin on a Celebrity ship and it's way way bigger than a normal balcony (both the room and the actual balcony) at almost the same price. Unfortunately, we are a family of 4, so they wouldn't let us book- ended up going with 2 rooms for the space. We once ended up in a Family Oceanview on the RCI Explorer of the Seas (doesn't have a balcony), and it was quite spacious, with a little curtained off area with bunk beds that's like it's own mini-room- good for the older kids to bunk in, and it costs comparably to other oceanview, non-balconies.

Note that when trying to book 5 people in one room, you can't do it online either with an agency or with the cruise line directly, someone is going to have to call- either the agent with you on the phone, or if you want to book directly, you can call the cruise line.

We've done both the family oceanview and family promenade on RCI with a family of 5 - 2 adults and 3 kids who were 8,5,5 on our 1st cruise and 9,6,6 on our 2nd cruise.

The family oceanview had a double bed, double sofa bad plus seperate room bunk beds but was right at the front of the ship and as we sailed out New York in February it was a bit rough and we felt every wave!

The family promenade worked out cheaper as it was an inside cabin but felt like an inside as you had 2 windows looking out over the royal promenade - same sleeping options as the other cabin but a bigger bathroom with a bath - which is a help with younger kids and was mid-ship so not so much movement!

Strongly recommend the NCL two bedroom family suites.... they are on the Pearl, Jewel, Gem, Jade, Dawn, and Star, so basically you can pick from a ton of itineraries. They are on the new Epic too, but I'm sure that's more expensive.

They have a living area with single bed sofa, a "master" bedroom with queen size bed, and a small "kids room" with a double bed and third pullman berth. And two bathrooms including a huge master bath with dual sinks and separate tub and shower. The suite perks on NCL are incredible, and the prices quite reasonable... the initial first and second passenger costs are higher for these suites, but their 3-5th passenger costs are MUCH lower than Royal Caribbean, so it's worth a look. We also enjoyed the suite perk of dinner served from any restaurant in your room.... there's a real dining table, and a balcony on which to enjoy your meal.

Strongly recommend the NCL two bedroom family suites.... they are on the Pearl, Jewel, Gem, Jade, Dawn, and Star, so basically you can pick from a ton of itineraries. They are on the new Epic too, but I'm sure that's more expensive.

They have a living area with single bed sofa, a "master" bedroom with queen size bed, and a small "kids room" with a double bed and third pullman berth. And two bathrooms including a huge master bath with dual sinks and separate tub and shower. The suite perks on NCL are incredible, and the prices quite reasonable... the initial first and second passenger costs are higher for these suites, but their 3-5th passenger costs are MUCH lower than Royal Caribbean, so it's worth a look. We also enjoyed the suite perk of dinner served from any restaurant in your room.... there's a real dining table, and a balcony on which to enjoy your meal.

There was a Youtube tour of one of these cabins on the Epic recently on the Norwegian Board. It's worth checking out just for the wow factor.

I wanted to mention that NCL also just added a whole new design of room for families which accommodate 6. They were part of the Star dry dock remodel, and are on deck 12. They will be added to the Dawn during her dry dock time in May too, and a number of the ones on the Dawn will have balconies. (Most on the star just have floor to ceiling windows.) Gorgeous, spacious rooms with suite level perks, for less that the cost of two adjoining balconies.

Lots of lines have suites and higher-priced cabins that will fit 5. Carnival Fantasy is one of the few I know of that allow 5 in a regular room. It's tight, but completely do-able and very affordable this way. The one down side with little kids is that you do only get a shower, and not a bath. We didn't have a problem with it, but YMMV.

We were in a Grand Suite on Adventure of the Seas with a roll away. We had more than enough room, and the kids took turns on the roll away and pull out couch. They were 12, 8 and 8 at the time.

Carnival Dream has only one category of room that accommodates 5. We just booked a cruise on her for after Thanksgiving. It is a much larger room (230sf vs 185) and has two bathrooms - one with toilet sink and shower and the other with sink and TUB. The tub is great with small children. The room is an ocean view with two twins, two upper bunks and a sleeper sofa.

All other Carnival ships have a variety of rooms that accommodate 5.

We're staying in a D4 balcony room on Royal Caribbean's Allure OTS in a couple of weeks. It's a room with a queen bed, a sofa bed and a pullman bed that folds down from the ceiling (essentially a bunk bed over the sofa). We have my wife and I, along with our three kids (7 yo twins and a 3 yo). My wife is freaking out, figuring the room will be too small. I figure we'll be fine. Plus, we aren't going to spend much time in the room except for sleeping, some wake up time and going to sleep time. As long as you can find anything that will fit five people, I wouldn't worry too much. You'll probably not spend too much time in your room anyway--especially with a room that cramped!

OP - I see your smallest child is just a baby. It may be a tight squeeze, but on Royal Caribbean, many cabins that technically sleep 4 can be booked with 5 so long as the 5th is in a pack n play and doesn't require an actual bed (according to RCCL, any child not yet three fits that bill). The phone agents can tell you which cabin levels will work. You do pay the full 3rd/4th passenger rate for the baby though.

I'm trying to figure out which cruise lines and which ships can accomodate 5 in a cabin (2 adults, 3 kids - ages 6yr, 5yr, 7mos).

Trying to go somewhere hot this spring (Caribbean or Bahamas)

I don't want to get 2 staterooms.

Can anyone suggest some cruise lines and ships to try.

I think you're more than a bit late to book any ship with these requirements for this year for THIS "Spring"! You might want to look for a cruise for next year. Spring cruises fill up pretty early due to "Spring Break". It reminds me of a sad story, which I can relate.

Edited by imsulin

We were recently in the Family OV room on the Navigator of the Seas, which sleeps six and worked great for us. It is at the very front of the ship though. We didn't have any significant seas or movement, but if it's rough you will feel it more there.

Some Carnival cabins will sleep 5 in a balcony cabin, but it will be tight.

• 4 years later...
We were in a Grand Suite on Adventure of the Seas with a roll away. We had more than enough room, and the kids took turns on the roll away and pull out couch. They were 12, 8 and 8 at the time.

Yes, a lot of suites can accomodate 5 or more.

I think most people looking for 5 or more are not looking for the expensive cabins. :)