obstructed balcony on Lido Deck on Royal Princess

tobecool

Hi, I booked the obstructed balcony (deluxe) on Lido Deck on Royal Princess, very front one. I asked my TA how this balcony obstructed, but she said she didn't know it. I come here to ask anyone who can tell me how it look like? thank you.

Hi, I booked the obstructed balcony (deluxe) on Lido Deck on Royal Princess, very front one. I asked my TA how this balcony obstructed, but she said she didn't know it. I come here to ask anyone who can tell me how it look like? thank you.

Well, since the ship is still being built, it is hard to know exactly, but I would assume that the obstruction is a solid steel balcony wall vs. the normal glass wall.

Well, since the ship is still being built, it is hard to know exactly, but I would assume that the obstruction is a solid steel balcony wall vs. the normal glass wall.

Thank you for your quick reply. So that means we can not see the ocean when we sit in the balcony? or we can not see from the room? then how about we stand in the balcony, can we see the ocean? thanks again.

thank you for your reply. then how about this kind of balcony stateroom on Deck 8, forward of the ship. are these better than Lido Deck? and meanwhile, my DH is wondering if the upper deck is more shaking than lower one, let's compare Deck 16 and Deck 8. Thanks for anyone can give me some opinion.

thank you for your reply. then how about this kind of balcony stateroom on Deck 8, forward of the ship. are these better than Lido Deck? and meanwhile, my DH is wondering if the upper deck is more shaking than lower one, let's compare Deck 16 and Deck 8. Thanks for anyone can give me some opinion.
See my post below on the other thread that you asked this question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37611490&postcount=1040

I looked carefully at new Royal photos and it "appears" the the metal railing on the forward Lido deck cabins "might" be higher than the standard glass balcony railing.

...and meanwhile, my DH is wondering if the upper deck is more shaking than lower one, let's compare Deck 16 and Deck 8.
Not sure what you mean by shaking but a ship has several kinds of movement, depending on wind direction and speed, currents, and the sea height and direction, which are impossible to predict.

A ship can rock forward-to-aft and/or side-to-side, depending on wind, currents and seas. The length of a ship can help a bit with the forward/aft movement and stabilizers help with the side-to-side motion. Mid-ship is more stable for both types of motion and for side-to-side, the lower the deck, the better. Deck 8 will always be more stable than deck 16 no matter where you are on the ship.

As for "shaking," you'll feel that more on lower decks than higher, particularly if you are above the thrusters. The thrusters are used to turn the ship and navigate when entering and leaving port. They are not used once the ship is underway. When they are used, there is a definite "shaking" but it doesn't last long. Kind of like when a plane lands and the engines go into reverse.

On the Royal's deck plan it says:

"Obstructions do not include certain nautical items like hand rails, dividers or ship hardware. For balcony staterooms, the view is determine from the perspective of the balcony railing. Balconies may have either sold steel or toughened glass railing".

Based on this statement it appears that when obstructed it has a steel solid railing. It also says that "ships hardware" does not classify it as an obstructed view. I would hope that if lifeboat davits block the view it would be considered obstructed however that is not what it appears to be saying.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On the Royal's deck plan it says:

"Obstructions do not include certain nautical items like hand rails, dividers or ship hardware. For balcony staterooms, the view is determine from the perspective of the balcony railing. Balconies may have either sold steel or toughened glass railing".

Based on this statement it appears that when obstructed it has a steel solid railing. It also says that "ships hardware" does not classify it as an obstructed view. I would hope that if lifeboat davits block the view it would be considered obstructed however that is not what it appears to be saying.

I think what it is saying is that obstructed means whatever you could see from above the railing is partially or totally obstructed.

For the cabins at the front of the Royal Princess on the Lido and Marina decks there are additional obstructions beyond that of just the solid railing. You will note that the Bridge is below these decks and on either side of the ship the bridge extends outward a considerable distance. The forward cabins may have additional obstructions from these extensions, even when you are standing on your balcony, dependent on where your cabin is. Princess has changed the cabin layouts four times since last June when they original deck drawings came out, on both decks. Even two different deck configurations in the last 30 days. Last I checked a couple of days ago the deck drawings did not even match between the Royal and the Regal. Cabins 101, 102, 103, 104 face forward only and are probably to centered to have an obstruction from the outward bridge extensions. Cabins 105 and 106 may or may not be corner cabins as the drawings change too often to determine, but may have additional obstructions if they are truly corner positioned. Cabins 107 and 108 with either be corner located, or side located, but either way will be more obstructed due to the bridge extensions than the first cabins 101-104.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8454168736_b7d80d088e_m.jpg

Who knows how long this flip flop of deck configurations will go on, but within 90 days we should have the answer. Hope this helps you a little.

2136165037_RoyalFrontdeckdetails.jpg.082c239b24bd6db35a243919b855aa3b.jpg

8454168736_b7d80d088e_m.jpg.832a072f93f78b34ca21bb6d97c6819d.jpg

Thank you for all you replies.

I also found a note on princess website today saying that "...balcony access when in port only". Does it mean we can use balcony any time we want, like at sea, breakfast ...? We can only use when the ship is in port? but normally when ship is in port, we'll get off ship and have a day trip on island, we don't spend our time on ship when it's in port.

so if this is the case, it's better we choose another balcony, like E110 or E109. are these two better than the ones on Lido Deck?

Thank you.

That is correct , only in port ! Bob

Thank you! I think I have to give it up L101. E110 or E109, which side is better? when in port, which side is to the ocean, which side is to the island? Do you know how obstructed of this stateroom?

I took l115 on deck 16 The obstructed view is only from about waist down and is a solid metal 3 foot wall from the ground up. The view will be fantastic from that height and you are above the bridge . The deck above is the private area for adults only so there is no noise above you ! As far as which side its all depends on which side the ship ends up docking in port . Just remenber that the view from that deck will override which side you are on. Also deck 16 if you look at the layout makes it real easy to get to the pool deck , buffet , gym without any real effort ! When are you sailing ? Bob & Donna

I took l115 on deck 16 The obstructed view is only from about waist down and is a solid metal 3 foot wall from the ground up. The view will be fantastic from that height and you are above the bridge . The deck above is the private area for adults only so there is no noise above you ! As far as which side its all depends on which side the ship ends up docking in port . Just remenber that the view from that deck will override which side you are on. Also deck 16 if you look at the layout makes it real easy to get to the pool deck , buffet , gym without any real effort ! When are you sailing ? Bob & Donna

Thank you for your input. We changed our room to E110, disappointed no chance this time to enjoy staying on Deck Lido this time. We are sailing Dec 29 for the new year holiday.

• 8 months later...

It would be great if you could post your experience. I also booked the same room L115 for a cruise in 2014 and your feedback would be very much appreciated especially on the "obstructed view" topic.

Thanks

Bill

It would be great if you could post your experience. I also booked the same room L115 for a cruise in 2014 and your feedback would be very much appreciated especially on the "obstructed view" topic.

Thanks

Bill

I have since found out that the balcony is not obstructed at all and I have checked it out in many current photos . I will let you know when I get back but I am certain that I am correct. I took that cabin for many reasons , view, location to pool , buffet , gym , and close to a lot of things with hardly any moving around, Please send me a message with you e-mail address and I will contact you when I get back with photos and my thoughts! Thanks Bob & Donna { 13 days to go } fielddreamer@cox.net

Thanks Again, Im looking forward to hear what your experience was.

Bon Voyage !!

Bill

PS Private email was sent.

I have since found out that the balcony is not obstructed at all and I have checked it out in many current photos . I will let you know when I get back but I am certain that I am correct. I took that cabin for many reasons , view, location to pool , buffet , gym , and close to a lot of things with hardly any moving around, Please send me a message with you e-mail address and I will contact you when I get back with photos and my thoughts! Thanks Bob & Donna { 13 days to go } fielddreamer@cox.net

• 2 weeks later...

When you check out the cabin location on the princess web sight for "your cruise" it will tell you if the cabin has a obstructed view. Some are as simple as balcony door cannot be used if third bed is lowered from the ceiling, metal railing instead of glass and in your case can not be used at all except in port. This is because of the wind effect of having the balcony door open and the cabin door at the same time as the ship is moving. If you don't know what this is, try it some time but hang onto the cabin door.

• 2 months later...

Do not believe any post from those that have not sailed in one of these cabins. We spent a month in L 106 on the Royal's maiden Trans Atlantic. These are the best cabins on the ship. They can be so quiet while underway you find yourself whispering on the balcony. Those that claim the balcony doors are locked by Princess are completely ignorant of the true facts. You determine your balcony door openings. The forward view is incredible in ports. The nighttime views in moonlight are beyond description. The Royal and Regal forward cabins are unique on the Princess fleet. Pay no attention to those that try to tell you what they are like unless they have actually sailed in them. For whatever reasons people claim to know what these cabins are like when they do not know what they are talking about. Book them. In addition these balconies are huge, as wide as the cabin. Ours could easily have held 12-16 people.

Do not believe any post from those that have not sailed in one of these cabins. We spent a month in L 106 on the Royal's maiden Trans Atlantic. These are the best cabins on the ship. They can be so quiet while underway you find yourself whispering on the balcony. Those that claim the balcony doors are locked by Princess are completely ignorant of the true facts. You determine your balcony door openings. The forward view is incredible in ports. The nighttime views in moonlight are beyond description. The Royal and Regal forward cabins are unique on the Princess fleet. Pay no attention to those that try to tell you what they are like unless they have actually sailed in them. For whatever reasons people claim to know what these cabins are like when they do not know what they are talking about. Book them. In addition these balconies are huge, as wide as the cabin. Ours could easily have held 12-16 people.

Thank you so much for posting this! We have a 10 day repo cruise booked on the Royal in October and have booked L101. We were a bit nervous about some others comments, but you have relieved our minds! Now I'm even more excited about our cruise on Royal!

• 5 months later...
Thank you so much for posting this! We have a 10 day repo cruise booked on the Royal in October and have booked L101. We were a bit nervous about some others comments, but you have relieved our minds! Now I'm even more excited about our cruise on Royal!

We have L104 for the 10 day repo.We had the same cabin last March and also have it on the transatlantic next April.Obviously we like the location and massive balcony.