crossfit

javalina

Has anyone tried crossfit while cruising? I'd love to keep up with it on vacation. If anyone has done this, I'd like to know how you got the WOD? Or did you make it up as you went?

I'm waiting for the crossfit theme cruise, you know its coming!

Handstand pushups on a moving ship, anyone? :eek:

Has anyone tried crossfit while cruising? I'd love to keep up with it on vacation. If anyone has done this, I'd like to know how you got the WOD? Or did you make it up as you went?

I'm waiting for the crossfit theme cruise, you know its coming!

Handstand pushups on a moving ship, anyone? :eek:

I don't think most cruise ships have kettlebells:(. And not all have fre weights or dumbbells. Not all have rowing machines for tabata drills. But if you work with your crossfit instructor or troll through the crossfit excercises and crossfit forum on crossfitdotcom, you'll be able to put together a pretty good workout session based on th eequipment your ship's gym facilities has. Have fun, but most likely you'll be doing it by yourself.

So true....but I'm kinda doing it by myself now, sometimes with a small group of friends. Anyway I can see why ships might not want barbells with big round rolly weights on them rolling across the gym floor as the ship moves.

Anyway, it will be fun to see what can be done!

• 3 months later...

Typically the max DB is around 60lbs which is more than enough for a CF workout. The challenge will be space. There is the yoga/spin class area (bikes are pushed aside when not being used) which you could use when available, but you'll still be cramped. There aren't any pull up bars and the ceilings are too low to skip. You can do a tabata workout, or something with BW squata, push-ups, step-ups, abs etc. The internet is pretty expensive so I would just make up a few workouts which can be done in a limited amt of space and with only DBs and a step. Won't be the WOD but can still be very effective. One day I ran sprints on the TM and every 2 mins jumped off and did a set of push-ups, squats and lunges just because I was bored to death with the cardio. Just have to be a bit creative.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
The ship doesn't normally move that much that free weights would be an issue. However' date=' having the machines is a safe way to allow people to work out while moving. They should bring free weights out while docked for those that want to use free weights.[/quote']

Actually free weights are a lot safer than the machines. Most injuries in gyms happen with machines partly because more people use them but those that use free weights are usually trained in how to use them. :)

• 2 months later...

I have never encountered a cruise ship with barbells. I have been on 2 cruises with a Smith Machine. You will not be able to do your typical crossfit workout. Adjust accordingly and remember that you are supposed to be on vacation. Nothing wrong with a little variation. You probably can still find something to do your kipping, and get everyone in the room staring at you. ;)

• 10 months later...

I know Princess offers free weights along with the usual machines. They also offer for a small fee TRX, spin and boot camp classes on most ships. You should have no trouble creating a WOD that can be done you your ship once you see what it as to offer.