Atlantis 2014?

Ahhh

The temps in the DC area hovering around the zero mark were just the thing I needed to finally spur me to book this cruise for my bf and I. Its the first Atlantis (and gay charter) cruise for both of us. We're extremely excited.

Would appreciate any and all info/advice from past cruisers on what to do/bring/not miss.

So far we've discussed lots of sqaure cuts and tank tops. ;) Are there theme nights/parties that we should bring costumes for? (Who doesn't love a good costume!?)

Thanks all!

Hey guys! I am from Hungary, and i have no money for cruising with Atlantis:( but would like to have an Atlantis dog tag (green). Can anybody help? Thx in advance.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én GT-N7100-el

Booking is now open to all. Almost every cabin category of rooms is still available. The dates are March 15-25th. (Typo I think above.). We are booked on it but seems like a long time til March, 2014.

We booked this about 2 weeks ago. We've done Seabourn before but not Atlantis. Looking forward to the voyage!

Hey guys! Almost all my ATL friends are getting ready to go on the Atlantis Silhouette cruise next week. But since I'd been on that one 6-7 times I decided to do the Summit Cruise out of San Juan this year (with my best friend who's never been on an Atlantis cruise before). So we get to wait 5 more weeks before we get our groove on. :(

For those of you looking for ideas about the theme parties/dances, go to the official Atlantis website and look at the info posted for the Silhouette cruise. Although it's not guaranteed to be identical, my belief is that they will most likely carry over pretty heavily to the Summit. The Atlantis Cruise Guide posted also gives tips on what to expect, bring, and not bring.

For those new to Atlantis, my suggestion about packing (in addition to the obvious shorts, tanks, and swimwear) is to bring 2-3 nice shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, and possibly 1 pair of slacks if you have any desire to go to any of the nice restaurants onboard. I know you don't have to dress up on an Atlantis cruise, but sometimes a gurl just likes to feel pretty. :)

As for costumes: don't let this scare you. You can be as elaborate or simple as you want. Or you can just go without a costume and enjoy the sights and creativity of others. If you decide to do costumes, just remember that you will want to do something you can still dance in and have fun (without knocking out the people dancing around you!).

And finally: enjoy the ship; enjoy the shows, and enjoy the opportunity to be around 1900 of your new best friends from all over the world. Leave your pre-conceptions and attitude at the dock and just have a great time. A simple "hello" goes a long way!

MichaelinATL

Michael:

Thank you for such a welcoming e-mail to us all who are going on this cruise. Your insights, enthusiasm and all around niceties are very much appreciated. :) My partner and I are booked and so ready to get out of the frozen north country (we're from Upstate NY). :eek: The cruise can't arrive soon enough! We have traveled on RSVP before this and are delighted to be experiencing Atlantis for our first time.

Looking forward to traveling with all of you and meeting new friends and enjoying a fun filled and relaxing week.

Hope to meet you on board!:D

"Jim" of Jim & Alan

• 3 weeks later...

hehehe ... you're too funny.

I doubt you have any love handles to worry about.

someone mentioned before that we could use the Feb 2014 cruise that's on now as a guide to the theme parties; however, it's been taken off atlantis' website.

I did some googling and found some vids on youtube.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same themes happen year after year.

something along the lines of white, disco, military/dog tags, * by the sea, etc.

I nearly cannot contain myself anymore! I want the list of theme parties so I can start collecting my costumes!

Between that and beating the love handles off myself at the gym it's a busy month. (Everything else be damned!)

Between that and beating the love handles off myself at the gym it's a busy month. (Everything else be damned!)

I started a crash diet on Monday. What do you think my hopes are (# of lbs. lost) in 21 days?:D

from Atlantis' website

http://atlantisevents.com/Exotic-Caribbean-Cruise/32#booked

Party Themes Preview

Since all of you want to know…. here are the major theme parties scheduled on this cruise. As with all our events, special outfits and costumes are completely optional – we want you to be comfortable and enjoy it all in your own way.

Glow!

A bright night of silliness where you’re the shining star. Wear anything that lights up, reflects, sparkles, glitters, shines, glistens, blinks, shimmers, or simply glows. Or let your brilliant personality be the star.

Treasure Island

Our tropical island of wonder comes to life with a treasure trove of characters ranging from prancing pirates to sparkling natives to dazzling creatures of the deep. You’ll even see the occasional stranded (Carnival) cruise ship guest. Get lost with us for a night and who knows what you might find.

Atlantis’ White Party

The longest running, most popular, and most infamous party on the high seas continues into 2014. Dazzle us with your originality in the color that everybody looks great in.

Over the Rainbow T-Dance

This one isn’t just about Dorothy or the last scary multicolor tube-top you saw at Pride. But that’s a start. Join us as a singular color from your own personal rainbow, an Oz-like inspiration, or the worst combination of colors you can pull together. And if you’re just “over” the rainbow, come as you are and enjoy!

Classic Disco T-Dance

The spirit of the 70s lives for two brief hours in the afternoon as we return to the roots of dance music. Artificial fabrics, excess facial hair, oversized shoes, and obnoxious chains welcome.

Dog Tag T-Dance

Now that our military members can come out to play, we thought it’s time for a little creative interpretation of how cleverly military uniforms can be adapted. Civilians welcome. Dog Tags provided. The rest is up to you to reveal.

• 2 months later...

If you're traveling alone and have your own cabin, do you have to pay the prepaid gratuities twice or just once per person? I'm planning on going one of their cruises on the HAL's Oosterdam.

Their site says "prepaid gratuities per person based on double occupancy" and over the phone, I was told I have to pay twice the prepaid gratuities even if I'm traveling solo because is based on double occupancy. And do I really have to prepay for these gratuities? Never traveled with Atlantis before but most standard cruise lines do not require you to prepay them.

If you're traveling alone and have your own cabin, do you have to pay the prepaid gratuities twice or just once per person? I'm planning on going one of their cruises on the HAL's Oosterdam.

Their site says "prepaid gratuities per person based on double occupancy" and over the phone, I was told I have to pay twice the prepaid gratuities even if I'm traveling solo because is based on double occupancy. And do I really have to prepay for these gratuities? Never traveled with Atlantis before but most standard cruise lines do not require you to prepay them.

Gratuities are prepaid for charter sailings and yes you pay for 2 people even if sailing solo. I think the grats are prepaid due to the way dining is handled on charter sailings - I could be wrong though, Port fees and taxes are only for one person.

Gratuities are prepaid for charter sailings and yes you pay for 2 people even if sailing solo. I think the grats are prepaid due to the way dining is handled on charter sailings - I could be wrong though, Port fees and taxes are only for one person.

But I don't understand the rationale for paying twice the gratuities. The cabin fare for double occupancy I understand but it should be like the port fees (per person). It's not like I'll be ordering for more than 1 person. When I travel solo on regular cruise lines, I only pay gratuities for 1 person. Maybe I'm missing something or someone can kindly explain it to me.

you're best to get a thorough explanation from Atlantis as I take it for granted that the cabin will be double occupancy.

But I don't understand the rationale for paying twice the gratuities. The cabin fare for double occupancy I understand but it should be like the port fees (per person). It's not like I'll be ordering for more than 1 person. When I travel solo on regular cruise lines, I only pay gratuities for 1 person. Maybe I'm missing something or someone can kindly explain it to me.

There doesn't need to be rationale, it's part of the contract we agree to. There's the rationale. I imagine Atlantis agreed to charter a full ship, and with that X says that is whatever number and expects that number in gratuities. Atalantis may make some money or lose some money on the collection or payment of gratuities overall, but to protect themselves, they stipulate up front the gratuity policy then we can take or leave it and find another cruise.

I just looked ay my invoice from the San Juan sailing this March, it was 7 nights, I was in a Celebrity Suite sailing solo. I paid $160 in gratuities or $11.42 per person per night. That's the equivalent of $11.42 x 2 x 7 nights = $160. Typical celebrity gratuity for the suite would have been $15.50 per night per person in the cabin. For a standard cabin, it would be $12 per person per day. I am not sure what folks in standard cabins paid for gratuities, but it seems in a suite my rates was less than celebrity's normal suite gratuity rate, so I expect the standard cabins are even lower.

I can only assume that per the charter contract Atlantis must guarantee a minimum gratuities based on two to a room whether or not Atlantis can sell that cabin or not. Thus Atlantis would take the loss if they couldn't sell that cabin. If a single/solo persons wants exclusive occupancy of a double occupancy cabin then they would be required to pay for gratuities based on two to a room. Now if you don't like or can't afford exclusive occupancy Atlantis does offer "share" categories and you only paid for one set of gratuities. Shares are not offered on regular non-chartered sailings so Atlantis does make a MAJOR effort to accommodate solo cruisers that otherwise couldn't afford a charter sailing. Single/solo cruisers can make up at least 50% of Atlantis passengers so that is why shares are offered. Port taxes are only charged per person not per room for either charter or non-charter sailings since that is just a pass through to local governments and not kept my the cruise line/crew. You must prepay gratuities as this is normal practice on any and all group charters.

I am not sure what folks in standard cabins paid for gratuities, but it seems in a suite my rates was less than celebrity's normal suite gratuity rate, so I expect the standard cabins are even lower.

Hi Curt,

(We were with you on Pied Piper's recent TA crossing, Fort Lauderdale to Southampton - a relaxing cruise with lovely people)

You did get a bargain. We paid $12.50 each for a balcony cabin.

But following an expose on BBC's consumer programme Watchdog, we took the automatic charge off our bill and paid the waiters and stateroom attendants individually.

I'm not sure if CC allows web links, but if you search 'Celebrity cruises gratuities Watchdog', you'll see they found that the staff are paid a minimum wage, no matter what - and it is made up from what RCL pays and what comes in from gratuities. If there are not enough gratuities, the company makes up the difference to maintain the minimum wage. So we were told that anything the staff get individually, they keep on top of their minimum wage. Which is needed as they have to pay for stuff like uniforms.

So, if a typical Atlantis cruise has many singles cruising, I can understand why the cruise line insists on gratuities being pre-paid - it helps them pay the staff.

There doesn't need to be rationale, it's part of the contract we agree to. There's the rationale. I imagine Atlantis agreed to charter a full ship, and with that X says that is whatever number and expects that number in gratuities. Atalantis may make some money or lose some money on the collection or payment of gratuities overall, but to protect themselves, they stipulate up front the gratuity policy then we can take or leave it and find another cruise.

I just looked ay my invoice from the San Juan sailing this March, it was 7 nights, I was in a Celebrity Suite sailing solo. I paid $160 in gratuities or $11.42 per person per night. That's the equivalent of $11.42 x 2 x 7 nights = $160. Typical celebrity gratuity for the suite would have been $15.50 per night per person in the cabin. For a standard cabin, it would be $12 per person per day. I am not sure what folks in standard cabins paid for gratuities, but it seems in a suite my rates was less than celebrity's normal suite gratuity rate, so I expect the standard cabins are even lower.

I know that it doesn't need to be rationale behind it but it seemed odd to me that they do it when the non-chartered cruises don't. This would be my first gay cruise so I'm kind of clueless and thought the guy at Atlantis that I spoke with gave me the wrong info but it's the same guy who always answers the phone. Anyway, I prefer to pay gratuities directly because there's no guarantee that the staff will get them. I've seen in a lot of businesses that the staff ends up getting much less than what you paid in tips/gratuities.

By the way, the gratuities you paid in your 7-day cruise seem much lower than what Atlantis is charging now. In their upcoming 12-day AKL-SYD cruise, prepaid gratuities for a solo cruiser would be $130x2=$260 or $21.67 per day. For their current 7 and 8 day Caribbean cruises, that would be $25.71 ($90x2) or $24.25 ($97x2) per day. And the former happens to be a Celebrity Silhouette.

I've also noticed that their fares seem to have remained almost the same or have even gone lower from previous years. From the looks of it, Atlantis is having a hard time selling them out like in the past.

Edited by Rinzler

I've also noticed that their fares seem to have remained almost the same or have even gone lower from previous years. From the looks of it, Atlantis is having a hard time selling them out like in the past.

It's actually one of Atlantis' selling points on their website that the cruises are as cheap or cheaper than last year. As someone who is looking at their Asia cruise next Easter I'm not complaining, but with all the ordinary cruise lines dropping prices or offering cabin credit, free drinks and other perks, if Atlantis's prices went too high, I probably wouldn't bother.

It's actually one of Atlantis' selling points on their website that the cruises are as cheap or cheaper than last year. As someone who is looking at their Asia cruise next Easter I'm not complaining, but with all the ordinary cruise lines dropping prices or offering cabin credit, free drinks and other perks, if Atlantis's prices went too high, I probably wouldn't bother.

Roy & Adrian, did we meet not on the Eclipse TA as part of the PP Group?

Roy & Adrian, did we meet not on the Eclipse TA as part of the PP Group?

Hi Curt,

We did, that was us.

And thanks to the PP folks like yourself, we had a really great time. We hope you enjoyed yourself in London afterwards.

Unfortunately, PP don't have any cruises during the days Adrian can take his holidays, so we're going on Atlantis' Med cruise this summer. We're also looking at their Asia cruise for next Easter but want to see if we fit in. It should be OK, I imagine their Med and Asia crowds are a little more, shall we say cosmopolitan, than the Caribbean cruises.