Symphony and Serenity refurbishment

Greetings from Adelaide, South Australia!

Whilst we are super excited about Symphony's planned refurbishment in September this year, we are super anxious whether it will impact our B2B voyages - 7220 & 7221 - being straight after the dry dock.

We are fully paid and flights are booked so, are we good to go? We would just like some peace of mind. V7220 is booked out, so I am sure there are a few fellow cruisers sitting on the edge of their seats, waiting for some clarification.

Cheers,

Angie

Dear Edie,

We are currently on our second Crystal cruise but it's the first time we are on Symphony. We are booked for the African Holidays cruise in December 2017 post the Symphony dry dock. There is a lot of talk on board at the moment as to what the changes during that dry dock will be. Can you confirm the following:

1. Will there be open dining?

2. Will the Trident Grill seating are be air conditioned and the ceiling permanently fixed shut as on Serenity to make this space useable in warm climates?

3. Will there be an additional restaurant similar to Tastes on Serenity?

4. Will all staterooms undergo a facelift with, at the minimum, new soft furnishings?

I'm also wondering if the Starlite lounge area will be changed and what other areas/venues will be refurbished or redecorated.

Many thanks in advance.

What is being done in the 2017 dry docks for the two ships to match the changes that have been promised such as larger rooms and open dining? Will people still be able to do fixed dining? Will there be more significant changes in future dry docks to continue these changes.

You have mentioned previously that the revised ships will have items that no other ships have - what are those items?

Why are there, as of now, no cruises listed for Symphony in 2019?

Since other cruise lines now include more than the "all inclusive" Crystal, will Crystal be including more items in its offering?

How will Crystal balance the demands of the residents with the needs of the regular cruise passengers?

If, as is rumored, the guest capacity on the Symphony is to be reduced in the September 2017 drydock, how will Crystal handle reducing the number of guests already booked on subsequent nearly sold out segments such as v8218? Options for example: by booking date, by Crystal Society status, by assigned as opposed to guaranteed stateroom.

When will Crystal be confirming the drydock dates? In your earlier (Facebook?) meeting, you said that the 2017 President's cruise would be immediately after the drydock. Several people immediately pointed out that there were 3 other segments and a month+ between the scheduled end of the drydock and the start of the President's cruise and asked for a clarification. We've been waiting quite sometime now for an answer to that question.

Greetings from Adelaide, South Australia!

Whilst we are super excited about Symphony's planned refurbishment in September this year, we are super anxious whether it will impact our B2B voyages - 7220 & 7221 - being straight after the dry dock.

We are fully paid and flights are booked so, are we good to go? We would just like some peace of mind. V7220 is booked out, so I am sure there are a few fellow cruisers sitting on the edge of their seats, waiting for some clarification.

Cheers,

Angie

Greetings Angie !

Thank you for your message. Myself, and the entire Crystal team, appreciate sharing your concerns surrounding the upcoming enhancements to Crystal Symphony. As it often goes with preparing for very important announcements, we want to ensure all of our business platforms are aligned in delivering the information to travel agents and guests in a timely and efficient manner. I thank you for your understanding and patience.

Edie,

When will you give us details on the upcoming changes to Symphony?

Thank you.

Crispy46

Hello Crispy46,

At this moment, I’m not prepared to specify an exact date on announcing more of Crystal Symphony’s enhancements and its overall timeline. But we are getting very close to revealing more details.

Dear Edie,

We are currently on our second Crystal cruise but it's the first time we are on Symphony. We are booked for the African Holidays cruise in December 2017 post the Symphony dry dock. There is a lot of talk on board at the moment as to what the changes during that dry dock will be. Can you confirm the following:

1. Will there be open dining?

2. Will the Trident Grill seating are be air conditioned and the ceiling permanently fixed shut as on Serenity to make this space useable in warm climates?

3. Will there be an additional restaurant similar to Tastes on Serenity?

4. Will all staterooms undergo a facelift with, at the minimum, new soft furnishings?

I'm also wondering if the Starlite lounge area will be changed and what other areas/venues will be refurbished or redecorated.

Many thanks in advance.

Dear ClefsDor,

I’m delighted to hear you will be sailing with us on this year’s holiday cruise in South Africa. It’s going to be an incredible experience!

At this time, I can confirm the significant outcome to Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity’s investments will feature full open seating dining for guests on both ships, and more suites. More information will revealed at a later date.

What is being done in the 2017 dry docks for the two ships to match the changes that have been promised such as larger rooms and open dining? Will people still be able to do fixed dining? Will there be more significant changes in future dry docks to continue these changes.

You have mentioned previously that the revised ships will have items that no other ships have - what are those items?

Why are there, as of now, no cruises listed for Symphony in 2019?

Since other cruise lines now include more than the "all inclusive" Crystal, will Crystal be including more items in its offering?

How will Crystal balance the demands of the residents with the needs of the regular cruise passengers?

Thank you so much for the many wonderful questions ctjon. I will answer in their respective order.

Aside from what I’ve shared in the previous Q&A response, about the much anticipated revitalization of Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity, which includes open dining and more suites - the remainder of exciting details will be released in the near future. As it often goes with preparing for very important announcements, we want to ensure all of our business platforms are aligned in delivering the information to travel agents and guests in a timely and efficient manner.

I am delighted to share with you and the entire Cruise Critic forum that our full 2019 itineraries for Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity will be unveiled in two weeks. I will give Andy, our Social Media Ambassador, the honor to post more details on the exact date of when the itineraries will be available to view and book.

In regards to our all-inclusive experience, I believe it is one of the most attractive offerings in today’s luxury travel, lifestyle and hospitality industry. As any good business does, we continually evaluate to determine on how we can elevate the overall guest experience. If any enhancements are made to our all-inclusive experiences, you and our loyal Crystal guests will be the first to learn more about them.

One of the key principles to Crystal’s illustrious history, is our impressive crew to guest ratio - almost two service staff to every guest. This will continue on our Crystal Exclusive Ships with Residences, and be expanded to great heights under our Crystal philosophy, for anticipating and fulfilling guests’ needs. I wish I could share more, but it will have to wait until we are ready to issue additional news of the new ocean ships.

Please, please, please renovate the Palm Court, Prego and Starlight on the Serenity. My favorite ship is sadly looking more 90's each year

Thank you for your feedback Avalon1025. More details on the enhancements to Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity will be released soon.

If, as is rumored, the guest capacity on the Symphony is to be reduced in the September 2017 drydock, how will Crystal handle reducing the number of guests already booked on subsequent nearly sold out segments such as v8218? Options for example: by booking date, by Crystal Society status, by assigned as opposed to guaranteed stateroom.

When will Crystal be confirming the drydock dates? In your earlier (Facebook?) meeting, you said that the 2017 President's cruise would be immediately after the drydock. Several people immediately pointed out that there were 3 other segments and a month+ between the scheduled end of the drydock and the start of the President's cruise and asked for a clarification. We've been waiting quite sometime now for an answer to that question.

Hello TER777,

In respect to the first part of your question - as a matter of our standard communication practice, I don’t comment on rumors or hearsay.

I can tell you we are nearing closer and closer to a date on when I will announce the full details to the Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity enhancements. As it often goes with preparing for very important announcements, we want to ensure all of our business platforms are aligned in delivering the information to travel agents and guests in a timely and efficient manner. I thank you for your understanding and patience.

... One of the key principles to Crystal’s illustrious history, is our impressive crew to guest ratio - almost two service staff to every guest.

[YOUTUBE]ZWJo2EZW8yU[/YOUTUBE]

Historically, illustrious or not, I believe the ratio on ocean ships is more like one crew to 1.6 guests. Going forward to 2022 and beyond, the promise is a ratio of one to one.

[YOUTUBE]ZWJo2EZW8yU[/YOUTUBE]

Historically, illustrious or not, I believe the ratio on ocean ships is more like one crew to 1.6 guests. Going forward to 2022 and beyond, the promise is a ratio of one to one.

She did specify "service staff". That doesn't include all the people working the bridge, engineering, etc. Don't even know if the laundry and the galley are counted in those numbers. I think it's just the ones we see in the passenger areas of the ship.

Patty

She did specify "service staff". ...Patty

It's a puzzlement, Patty, because in the same sentence as she specifies "service staff," she also specifies "crew to guest ratio." If you don't include people working on the bridge and so on, the ratio would be worse from a service perspective.

One crew to 1.6 guests is, I think, the normal range for luxury lines, and maybe one crew to three guests for the mainstream lines? If the ratio were actually two crew to one guest, then we had all better cut our nails short because it will get very crowded very quickly on board!

[YOUTUBE]PFu0KyrNAAA[/YOUTUBE]

Perhaps the only truly accurate ratio should be based on weight, the combined gross tonnage of all Crystal employees on a ship, to the gross tonnage of the ship!