Coffee Reviews from Celebrity Millennium?

AZbyOR

Coffee can make or break my day - can anyone tell me how the regular drip coffee is on board? I typically drink a fresh ground french roast. I'm considering bringing Starbucks Via and ordering hot water. Can anyone give me a review?

Thanks in advance!

Coffee can make or break my day - can anyone tell me how the regular drip coffee is on board? I typically drink a fresh ground french roast. I'm considering bringing Starbucks Via and ordering hot water. Can anyone give me a review?

Thanks in advance!

I'm just like you, and start my day exactly the same way. Dining room and room service coffee on all the X ships is the pits, so I order hot water and plenty of half&half with my room service breakfast and enjoy my Starbucks's Via French Roast. After breakfast, and once I am up and about on the ship I go to the Cafe for a breve latte or a mocha. BTW, Costco usually has multipacks of Via at one third less than from Starbucks directly.

Thanks in advance!

Coffee makes my day...and the regular coffee on the Millennium does NOT make my day start well ! Thus my frequent visits to Cafe al Bacio !!

I am sure some others will agree, and still others will find that the coffee was satisfactory to their tastes.

If you don't like espresso based drinks (or want to pay for them)...take the Via !!

Woody

Edited by rwr235

I'll quote myself from an earlier thread:

"How is the coffe? Here's an anecdote. Was sitting yesterday at a luncheon with five other people. Everyone had coffee. The waiter poured all from the same carafe. The woman on my right said, oh that's good coffee. The man on my left said, that coffee is way too strong, and poured some water into his cup. The woman across from me said, this coffee is really bitter. Her husband asked, why can't you make coffee this good. The woman next to him made a face and said that it tasted stale to her. I thought it was too weak.

So how's the coffee on board? Probably too strong, too weak, too bitter, too stale, too hot and too cold.'

"How is the coffe? Here's an anecdote. Was sitting yesterday at a luncheon with five other people. Everyone had coffee. The waiter poured all from the same carafe. The woman on my right said, oh that's good coffee. The man on my left said, that coffee is way too strong, and poured some water into his cup. The woman across from me said, this coffee is really bitter. Her husband asked, why can't you make coffee this good. The woman next to him made a face and said that it tasted stale to her. I thought it was too weak.

So how's the coffee on board? Probably too strong, too weak, too bitter, too stale, too hot and too cold.'

Good answer!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to read all these previous reports & replies. This was going to be my next question regarding our next cruise of Celebrity Millenium, how good is the coffee from the ship's cafe?

My wife & I have a coffee once each day, and always at a cafe in the bayside town in Queensland, Australia. We are fortunate to have some good Baristas in our town, and also we have cafes situated very close to Bay's beaches. One cafe owner actually serves take away coffee to persons seated/or lying on the beach (now that's service I say)

On the our last cruise, Sun Princess, we had coffee once each day (enough caffeine we reckon) in the ship's cafe, and strangely enough, it was quite passable. We both like Cappucino style, with a good sprinkling of chocolate on the top, and it must be extra hot, without burning the milk. A tall order, but a good barista can get it right.

Not sure about American style coffee's - but I am sure we will find it okay.

Good to read all these previous reports & replies. This was going to be my next question regarding our next cruise of Celebrity Millenium, how good is the coffee from the ship's cafe?

My wife & I have a coffee once each day, and always at a cafe in the bayside town in Queensland, Australia. We are fortunate to have some good Baristas in our town, and also we have cafes situated very close to Bay's beaches. One cafe owner actually serves take away coffee to persons seated/or lying on the beach (now that's service I say)

On the our last cruise, Sun Princess, we had coffee once each day (enough caffeine we reckon) in the ship's cafe, and strangely enough, it was quite passable. We both like Cappucino style, with a good sprinkling of chocolate on the top, and it must be extra hot, without burning the milk. A tall order, but a good barista can get it right.

Not sure about American style coffee's - but I am sure we will find it okay.

Hi,

The machine brewed coffee in the Ocean View Cafe (buffet) leaves much to be desired...but the staff (Baristas) at Cafe al Bacio make some great espresso based coffees...so you should be good-to-go with your daily cappuccino ! And they'll make it any way you desire....you might just find yourself...wanting a second cup !! (or in my case...8 or 9....no such thing as enough caffeine) :D

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

That proves that it depends on where the coffee is in the pot. Apparently at different levels it is different because of gravity. The top is probably weaker and it get stronger towards the bottom. If it stands too long it will be bitter so the coffee at the very bottom will be bitter because it has been in the pot the longest. The coffee on the top will be the hottest and etc. :D

Thank you, each & everyone for their advice. Firstly, I should have stated that we only have coffee once or twice in a day (2nd coffee well after the first)

At home, when we go for coffee, we pick places, which not only serves great coffee - we like the brand of coffee they have - but MOST OF ALL, the cafe or its location should have ambiance, ie, nice location/furnishings, or more so what does it look out onto, water/ocean views. To us, having a coffee, is a pleasant quiet time where we both discuss things, enjoy the view, and relax.

We have one cafe here in the bay, that serves Di Bella coffee, but also has "guest coffees", eg. coffee from Mexico, New Guinea, & other exotic locations. The Barista at this Cafe, is passionate about making the best coffee for his customers, he experiments with various parts of his coffee machine to produce a darn good coffee. He loves to talk to us on how he does it. I told him, "You can't improve upon perfection" (he smiled)

Well, once again, thanks each & every one for their advice, we will certainly visit Cafe al Bacio each day.

Thanks in advance!

I think Cafe Al Bacio makes better espresso than Starbucks, and the snacks are some of the best desserts on the ship. They make lattes (caramel and mocha I think, I didn't order) and cappuccino (I drank 4 to 6 a day). I'm a coffee snob with my own espresso machine and had no complaints with the specialty coffee. The drip stuff in the buffet was undrinkable though, IMO. I hope this helps!

Do they use fresh milk in the cappuccinos at Cafe Al Bacio on the Millennium?

We were on the Solstice in April and they used long life milk which affected the taste of the coffees. They were still OK but would have been much better with fresh milk. I asked why and they said they couldn't source enough fresh milk in Sydney!

We are going on the Millennium in November and hoping they will use fresh milk.

My wife and I are going on Constellation in Nov. We are serious coffee geeks (home roasting, espressos for me and caps for her) who can just survive on on Starbucks if we have to. From what I'm reading here we'll be going to the specialty shop.

So, my question is how much these coffees cost and how they relate to the beverage packages. Neither of us drinks soda, juices, or mixed drinks and in her case no alcoholic beverages. She drinks probably 6 caps a day at home so I'm trying to figure out if one of the beverage plans would be good for her or me. (I'll deal with my wine habit as a separate issue.)

Also she has a hand-pumped espresso maker that uses boiling water and capsules to make OK espresso, but I gather that Celebrity forbids in-room boiling of water?

So, my question is how much these coffees cost and how they relate to the beverage packages. Neither of us drinks soda, juices, or mixed drinks and in her case no alcoholic beverages. She drinks probably 6 caps a day at home so I'm trying to figure out if one of the beverage plans would be good for her or me. (I'll deal with my wine habit as a separate issue.)

Hi

Here is a sampling of the menu from the Celebrity website:

Menu

Café al Bacio \ Espresso \ Teas \ Teas ~ Herbal/Tisanes \ Tea over Ice \ Other Favorites \ More Favorites \ Gelateria

All our Drinks are made with Lavazza Coffee

Ristretto

Half shot of Espresso

$3.00

Espresso

Single shot

$3.00

Espresso Doppio

Double shot

$4.00

Espresso Macchiato

Espresso with steamed milk froth

$3.00

Espresso Based Coffees

Cappuccino

Espresso with steamed and frothed milk

$4.50

Caffé Latte

Espresso with steamed milk and topped with foam

$4.50

Caffé Americano

Two rich, full-bodied Lavazza espresso shots

combined with hot water

$4.50

Caffé Mocha

Espresso with steamed milk & dark chocolate

topped with whipped cream

$4.50

White Chocolate Mocha

Espresso with steamed milk & white chocolate

& whipped cream

$4.50

Caramel Macchiato

Espresso with foamed milk and a splash of both

vanilla & real caramel

$4.50

Please enjoy our complimentary selection of pastries,

sandwiches, and sweets.

If you click on the attached link, it will take you to website where you can view the menu and prices:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_cafe_al_bacio&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

My wife and I are going on Constellation in Nov. We are serious coffee geeks (home roasting, espressos for me and caps for her) who can just survive on on Starbucks if we have to. From what I'm reading here we'll be going to the specialty shop.

Also she has a hand-pumped espresso maker that uses boiling water and capsules to make OK espresso, but I gather that Celebrity forbids in-room boiling of water?

If you can survive on Starbucks you can do so with Celebrity. I don't home roast but only buy roast to order, and had no problems even with a straight shot although it obviously wasn't fresh, the shot was made correctly (grind to order, real portafilters). $4 for a cappuccino, so I recommend a classic drink package (non alcoholic for the coffee, soda, water, or with alcohol if you like that).

Mike and Woody,

Thanks for the info.

After looking over the prices etc. I think we'll follow Mike's rec to get the non-alc classic package for each of us.

Thanks for helping with the confusing mess that Celebrity has with all their packages and programs.

Jim

Mike and Woody,

Thanks for the info.

After looking over the prices etc. I think we'll follow Mike's rec to get the non-alc classic package for each of us.

Thanks for helping with the confusing mess that Celebrity has with all their packages and programs.

Jim

Glad to help! If you are still hesitant, since you have a Handpresso or similar, you can do what I did. I waited to board, and ordered my drink of choice, and asked them to wait on ringing me up until I tried it. . When I liked it, I asked them to charge me for a drink package (and if I had been unimpressed I would have paid for the one drink and been done for the week.

I would expect long life milk on the Millie's Nov cruise to Oz as no ports would have enough fresh milk and six days to the first port in Tahati.

Just spent a week on Norfolk Island were long life milk was the norm. No probs with the coffee, all good.

I be having several coffees everyday in the cafe on that cruise With my wife I am sure