Amazon River, what to expect?

editor@cruisecritic

Hi, I'm heading out for an Amazon River cruise. It's not my first trip down the Amazon, but it is my first trip not-on-a-big-ship (have done Crystal and Princess). And it's not even the same part of the Amazon! Our trip starts in Lima, then has a flight to Iquitos and onward.

We're on International Expeditions. It's a new line for Cruise Critic, so am definitely interested in your feedback, both on the trip and the company. Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

It looks great!

Can't help you with your request for firsthand information, but I imagine that many of us will be interested in your report when you come back! We have looked at similar itineraries with Delfin and with the Aqua Expeditions, two other companies that are considered luxury operators from Iquitos.

Now it looks like there's another line to consider... Better get there before it gets too crowded!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No time on this trip though I did spend an extra day in Lima, which was absolutely marvelous, definitely worth a visit! But Machu Picchu is on the bucket list, for sure. Look forward to a chance to get to see more of the magical Peru.

Carolyn

Are you going to do any extensions in Peru, i.e. Machu Picchu? I was there two years ago and loved it. It's a once in a lifetime experience.

Hi, can't speak to the other lines cause I haven't tried 'em, but gosh, our trip on International Expeditions was marvelous. Best guides/naturalists/enrichment program I've had on any cruise -- ever.

And the ship was lovely.

Review, blog, pics, probably going up next week!

Happy to answer more questions....

Carolyn

It looks great!

Can't help you with your request for firsthand information, but I imagine that many of us will be interested in your report when you come back! We have looked at similar itineraries with Delfin and with the Aqua Expeditions, two other companies that are considered luxury operators from Iquitos.

Now it looks like there's another line to consider... Better get there before it gets too crowded!

• 3 weeks later...

I sailed on this (about 6 months ago)cruise just before they got the newer Aquamarina. The ship wasn't so good but the crew, naturalists and the Amazon was amazing. I plan to do this trip again and will look at the Delfin 2. It's one of the most unspoiled and beautiful places on earth.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi cruzsnooze...

My family is considering doing this cruise with OAT next July. We would take up the entire boat (Aquamarina). My concern is that my mother has major heart problems and my father has Parkinson's. My mom wants to go so badly (her 2nd time) that she's said she and my dad will "Stay on the boat" while we do our excursions. They will both be 84 in July. I am very apprehensive about taking them on this. I also have 2 teenagers and there will be numerous 20-somethings along. Do you think they'll be bored? Thanks in advance!

Happy to answer more questions....

Carolyn

Hi editor@cruisecritic (aka Carolyn):

I asked this of cruzsnooze but haven't gotten an answer yet:

My family is considering doing this cruise with OAT next July. We would take up the entire boat (Aquamarina). My concern is that my mother has major heart problems and my father has Parkinson's. My mom wants to go so badly (her 2nd time) that she's said she and my dad will "Stay on the boat" while we do our excursions. They will both be 84 in July. I am very apprehensive about taking them on this. I also have 2 teenagers and there will be numerous 20-somethings along. Do you think they'll be bored? My niece is also planning on bringing her 1-yr old and a 4 yr old. Thanks in advance!

Have never traveled with OAT, but traveled the Peruvian with Gadventures and know that it would not have been safe, even on the boat, for very young children. Plus many lines do have age restrictions. Good luck with your planning.

Hi cruzsnooze...

My family is considering doing this cruise with OAT next July. We would take up the entire boat (Aquamarina). My concern is that my mother has major heart problems and my father has Parkinson's. My mom wants to go so badly (her 2nd time) that she's said she and my dad will "Stay on the boat" while we do our excursions. They will both be 84 in July. I am very apprehensive about taking them on this. I also have 2 teenagers and there will be numerous 20-somethings along. Do you think they'll be bored? Thanks in advance!

I admire your parents enthusiasm, but i would strongly suggest getting trip insurance that allows for preexisting conditions and for evacuation.

Also, I would dissuade your niece from taking children that young on that cruise.

Edited by Talisker92

• 2 weeks later...

the Amazon is also on my bucket list. I just have not gotten any info together to see what options there are. I'm happy with more of a "hostels and backpacks" younger and cost conscience crowd than the typical ocean cruise traveler. I don't even know what OAT means, so when mentioning a tour company or travel agent, please make it a bit clearer.

the Amazon is also on my bucket list. I just have not gotten any info together to see what options there are. I'm happy with more of a "hostels and backpacks" younger and cost conscience crowd than the typical ocean cruise traveler. I don't even know what OAT means, so when mentioning a tour company or travel agent, please make it a bit clearer.

OAT is Overseas Adventure Travels their website is OATTravel.com

Based on earlier comments, I do not think it is a good idea to take the young children on this trip. I would also be concerned about anyone with heart problems or Parkinson's. You are in some pretty remote areas where even air evacuation would be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so sorry I did not back to this thread sooner.

DH and I both got yellow fever shots. DH took malaria pills I refused (side effects not worth it).

As for the elder folks, will they be bored, hard to say. I could sit in the observation area all day and watch to unspoiled terrain and the sunset and love every second. It would be too strenuous for them to board the skiffs every day twice a day for the "excursions". The time in the skiff is not pre determined, they take off and follow a usual pattern but vary depending on what is available. I wanted to see the giant lily pads but is was low water level and they took us as close as possible and then we had to walk thru mud which was like quicksand. It was so great that they are willing to accommodate you. We fished for pirhana and they cooked then for dinner. I didn't eat them but everyone who did enjoyed it.

While you are out on the skiff for hours the Aquamarina sails down the river and you meet it in a new place when you come back. This happens every day.

All meals are open seating at tables for 6 and buffet style. The food is indigenous items and very interesting, worth trying. I don't eat fish and they always had a fish, meat and chicken dish so you will find something to your liking.

Any other questions? I'll check back to see if there are any. I loved this trip and plan to do a different area of the Amazon in the few years. FYI we are seniors and not the athletic type but found the trip quite doable. The pace with only 22 passengers is not rushed. When you go out on the sjiff they use 2 so there's about 10-11 on each so no hurry up get on or off, it goes fast with so few people.

I looked at all the river boats and settled on international expeditions due to price. They delivered, not a single complaint other then the boat which has since been replaced. We saw the Aqua and the delfin both sailing near us. They looked fabulous too so any of them would have been fine with me.

Edited by cruzsnooze

A word on the medical. It s a very remote area and only a shaman for a doctor who we visited as an excursion. He showed us his primitive way of using herbs for illness. For any serious illness you need to get back to Peru. Only your personal physician can say if an individual's condition is stable enough to travel to such a remote place. Parkinsons is not something that requires emergency medical attention on a daily basis but would be almost impossible to sit on a skiff bench that has no back support with the jostling it entails. People with heart conditions travel all the time, but ask your folks doctor what he thinks. If they chose to go bring enough of their medications and then some extra in case there is an unforeseen delay some where.

ok rereading you post you asked if a 1 and 4 year old would be bored and I think so. This is not an activity type vacation, nothing geared for children, no pool, games, internet. Would they play games you brought with you? Do children enjoy learning about cultures and animals and water tables and such? A one year old wouldn't really care, he'd be your arms but the 4 year old who knows. Is he a super active kid. Can he sit on a skiff for hours, there are some stops so a potty break will happen.

Cruzsnoose- I am doing this trip in May. Do they have a hairdryer in the rooms? Did they offer to do laundry?
They do your laundry and it's complimentary, and since they got the newer ship I'll assume they put in hair dryers which they did have in the older ship.

BEST ADVICE I CAN OFFER

1. wash your clothes before leaving home with a deet product (must must must)

2 take lots of bug repellant

3 take Benadryl cream 2 % (a mosquito will get you trust me on this)

4. take benadryl pills 25 mg. (less drowsiness with a lower dose)

5 Wear light weight long sleeves on all tops and long pants

6 Wear socks (the mosquitoes know about uncovered feet in sandals

7. Hats are really needed for sun glare and the hot sun

8 Binoculars

9 Own shampoo & Conditioner scent free (again mosquitos love you in the Amazon)

I never used sun screen because i was covered and I don't sun bathe

I brought crystal light sticks to put in the bottles of water, which is complimentary

Cokes are $2 adult beverages are available and the menu with prices is listed above the bar

Something that will strike you as weird ....you hang your cameras on a hook outside your cabin, never in your cabin. Nobody on these cruises will touch your property, it's only a 22 pax boat. If you take it in your cabin the cool air will cause condensation within the camera. You will know everyone after the first day and everyone is as friendly as can be. People will leave their ipad, binoculars, cameras on a table in the community room too and no one will bother it.

Edited by cruzsnooze

This October I went on my second cruise -- a four day sail on The Aria with Aqua Expeditions. It was one of the best travel experiences of my life! I loved exploring the Amazon and doing so in such fantastic surroundings. I write a detailed report with photos on my blog:

http://www.alexinwanderland.com/2013/10/28/the-aria-amazon-review/

http://www.alexinwanderland.com/2013/10/31/aqua-expeditions-amazon-review/

Hope that is helpful to anyone considering an Amazon cruise!

This October I went on my second cruise -- a four day sail on The Aria with Aqua Expeditions. It was one of the best travel experiences of my life! I loved exploring the Amazon and doing so in such fantastic surroundings. I write a detailed report with photos on my blog:

http://www.alexinwanderland.com/2013/10/28/the-aria-amazon-review/

http://www.alexinwanderland.com/2013/10/31/aqua-expeditions-amazon-review/

Hope that is helpful to anyone considering an Amazon cruise!

Fantastic photos. Making me more excited for May to get here! Although our boat will not be as luxurious. All the best on your next adventures.