amazon cruises

I am looking for recommendationn. I want to take a one week trip in January along the Amazon icluding rain forrest and wildlife experiences. Trying to decide whether to take a trip in either the Peruvian or the Brazilian portions of Amazon. Recommendations? suggestions? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
I am looking for recommendationn. I want to take a one week trip in January along the Amazon icluding rain forrest and wildlife experiences. Trying to decide whether to take a trip in either the Peruvian or the Brazilian portions of Amazon. Recommendations? suggestions? Thanks

J get travel info emails from the Smithsonian occasionally. About a month ago one opf their features was Amazon River cruisrs they sponser. It looked interesting, nice boat,cabins,food, all with travel guides. Try looking them up, one comment is fairly p[ricey.

• 1 month later...

Departing from Manaus, your expedition vessel stops at several points along the amazing Amazon jungle, and offers excursions on small boats or zodiacs to explore the dense, virgin vegetation. You and other adventure seekers will come into contact with the most exhuberant species of trees, plants, exotic animals and the local river communities, friendly and hospitable people. A paradise for those who like adventure with all the comfort of an all inclusive cruise.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just did the Amazon on International Expeditions. Lousy lousy lousy boat!! No indoor area except the dining room so we got eaten alive by the mosquitos. No screens on doors or windows and even the cabins were full of bugs, ants, roaches, mosquitoes. If i could redo the trip I'd look at Lindblad whose boat the delfin 2 looks wonderful. We saw the Aqua and she looked grand, I wouldn't hesitate to book on that either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We went in September 2011 and booked the least expensive cabin on the lowest deck. I believe that the cabins are identical except for deck. It was fine with a tiny balcony, big wall closet, big bed, big bathroom. We're not too picky except for cleanliness and it was. Food was just OK. It was buffet but at dinner you could also order ala carte. The menu was in Portuguese and the head waiter would come to our table talk to me for 5 minutes in Portuguese and then I would nod and say "fish". I don't speak anything but English. We always got good fish. The ship was empty so I don't know how service would be if it were full. We really enjoyed the trip but I don't believe that the ship comes anywhere close to a Silverseas ship.

We took Celebrity Expedition to the Galapagos the previous year. It was wonderful.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm heading out next month on International Expeditions' new Amazon boat and am happy to report back. Would love to hear any advice about expedition cruising on the Amazon. I have twice cruised the big ship route between Manaus and Rio but this will be very different!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

• 1 month later...

I really want to go to the Amazon, it's my next destination..and i've been thinking for a while whether it might be easier to fly there rather than taking a cruise. Not sure which one works out cheaper in the end..could anyone shed some light? :)

I believe that International Expeditions is the line that the Smithsonian uses...check out our blog for reports on IE's new ships, and the trip. Awesome :)

Link: cruisecritic.com/blog.

Carolyn

J get travel info emails from the Smithsonian occasionally. About a month ago one opf their features was Amazon River cruisrs they sponser. It looked interesting, nice boat,cabins,food, all with travel guides. Try looking them up, one comment is fairly p[ricey.

Eli90, it's hard to get there, no matter whether you take a cruise or stay at a lodge. The real question is: What do you want to see? On a cruise, you'll travel farther, have a broader experience. At a lodge, you'll live in the jungle, in one place, and day-trips will be a shorter distance.

What I liked about the cruise -- and it must be said this is a cruise website though I am at heart at independent traveler -- is that my "hotel" stayed the same but the ship moved around, and with the even smaller and more nimble skiffs, felt that we got to see more than we would've at at a resort. IMHO.

Anybody else?

Carolyn

I really want to go to the Amazon, it's my next destination..and i've been thinking for a while whether it might be easier to fly there rather than taking a cruise. Not sure which one works out cheaper in the end..could anyone shed some light? :)

• 5 weeks later...