visiting Taj Mahal from Mumbai (Bombay)

woodsidegal

India is a very large country.

New Delhi (and nearby Agra) are a long distance from Mumbai.

Taking the train is probably not possible with your time schedule.

You would need to fly in order to make it.

It is definitely worth the trouble. The Taj Mahal and Red Fort are two of the most amazing structures I have ever seen.

Does your ship offer an excursion to Agra? If so, take it !!! On Crystal's world cruise in 2001, they offered us a day long excursion to the Taj Mahal and it's been one of the highlights of all my cruises. You fly Jet Airways from Mumbai to Agra, which is about a 90 minute flight. From there it's a bus ride to the outskirts of the Taj---no gasoline fuel vehicles are allowed too near the Taj. You then take electric buses to the entrance. Inside it's absolutely beautiful and well worth the cost and hassles.

You absolutely cannot do a train or bus to there from Mumbai. Their trains are not the best and they are slow and not very reliable.

But be aware, security in Indian airports is like nothing you've ever seen. They do not allow cameras on their planes, and if you have one, they will take either the camera, battery or film/memory card from you and return it once you land. In security, they separate you by gender and give everyone a very concise pat down and will wand your person all over. And, you will not be allowed to bring any kind of food item into the Taj area---no gum, no breath mints, no cigarettes no nothing. They inspect all bags and they throw all that away.

Our cruise is not until next year, so shore excusions are not listed yet. I was just wondering if previous cruisers had a chance offered to them to go to the Taj Mahal. Thanks for all the other clues on what not to bring. Did you get an individual VISA for India or was there a group VISA from the cruise line?

India insists on individual visas. We didn't have a choice, unlike places such as Vietnam or Russia where you can get by on a blanket ship's visa. And since you'll be flying to Agra, if you decide to do this trip, you must have your own visa in India. They are very strict.

• 1 month later...

WoodsideGal:

On the Pacific Princess, in 2005, we had several options for trips to the Taj, the first meant leaving the ship in Sri Lanka and rejoining at Mumbai. Another left from Cochin and went by train to the Taj. However, be careful. Everyone we knew, who left the ship and had to eat ashore, came back with stomach disorders of one sort or another.

My wife and I did not go to the Taj so cannot comment on the experience of seeing it. India to me was a disaster. The visa is required, and in 2005 cost $80 per person. You must obtain that before leaving, and I believe my passports had to sent in to an Indian Embassy. Check with your travel agent!

• 7 months later...
Has anyone done a day or overnight trip to Taj Mahal/Agra from Bombay (Mubai)?

Looking for info?

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron - if you have an overnight it's easy to see the Taj on your own. If the cruiseline offers an excursion though, you may feel more comfortable taking that even if it would be more expensive since you won't have to worry about any of the details. I would absolutely recommend seeing the Taj - it is magnificent! If you go on your own you'd need to fly. Getting from the pier to the airport would probably take at least 90 minutes, possibly more (traffic is awful). There are several good budget airlines (SpiceJet, GoAir, and Indigo) that go into Delhi - about 2 hour flight. From there you'd have to make arrangements for transportation to Agra, another couple of hours. A car and driver is the way to go - inexpensive - and he'll wait for you. It would be a very long day. You could overnight in Agra or Delhi (I'd recommend Delhi since you'd be closer to the airport).

By the way, cameras, cell phones (every Indian flying will have one!), laptops, etc. are allowed on the planes - no problems. Just the usual no lighters, no liquids, etc. Security is not that much different from other places.

As far as eating in India - bring the kinds of meds you'd bring to Mexico!! Not everybody gets sick from the food in India!! Happy Cruising!

WoodsideGal:

India to me was a disaster.

It's a shame that you had such a bad experience. India is a developing nation (making great strides since their independence only about 60 years ago), far outpacing the US in many areas. The culture here is amazing and most of the people are wonderful. I would say that many areas of the US are a "disaster" in different ways. Also, there is no public help here for anyone who may desperately need it - unlike the welfare system, unemployment, even social security in the U.S.

If you look hard enough you can find bad or good anywhere. It's what you choose to see.

Happy Cruising!

Hi Ron - if you have an overnight it's easy to see the Taj on your own. If the cruiseline offers an excursion though, you may feel more comfortable taking that even if it would be more expensive since you won't have to worry about any of the details. I would absolutely recommend seeing the Taj - it is magnificent! If you go on your own you'd need to fly. Getting from the pier to the airport would probably take at least 90 minutes, possibly more (traffic is awful). There are several good budget airlines (SpiceJet, GoAir, and Indigo) that go into Delhi - about 2 hour flight. From there you'd have to make arrangements for transportation to Agra, another couple of hours. A car and driver is the way to go - inexpensive - and he'll wait for you. It would be a very long day. You could overnight in Agra or Delhi (I'd recommend Delhi since you'd be closer to the airport).

By the way, cameras, cell phones (every Indian flying will have one!), laptops, etc. are allowed on the planes - no problems. Just the usual no lighters, no liquids, etc. Security is not that much different from other places.

As far as eating in India - bring the kinds of meds you'd bring to Mexico!! Not everybody gets sick from the food in India!! Happy Cruising!

Donna,

Thanks for the insight, we will be 2 days in Mumbai, I'm hoping the cruise line will have a Taj Mahal excursion. Would certainly make life much easier, as they would have responsibility on getting us back on time. Probably wouldN#t try and organise it myself.

Do you know of a good local tour company in Mumbai (with Internet presence)?

Whenever I go east of Vienna, the Immodium is always packed.:)

After all my curry take-aways that I had in England, I'm probably immune now.:eek:

Thanks again

Ron

Hi Kitty9 and Donna-in-India,

Thanks for the info on getting from cruise ship in Mumbai to the Taj. We are looking into booking Crystal's Singapore to Dubai cruise and my husband will take the ship's tour to Agra to see the Taj.

sheila

Hi Ron - I would really encourage you to take the ship's tour. I can't imagine that they wouldn't offer one. I re-timed out everything yesterday and I think realistically there's no way I'd feel safe doing this one on my own. The time is just too tight. As it is, I imagine the ship's tour must just about get to the Taj before it closes. But I would still choose to go to the Taj than stay in Mumbai. I just saw that Kingfisher airlines started Delhi to Agra flights. It would be great if they added Mumbai to Agra flights and I'm sure they will at some point.

Yes, we had a lot of curries in England as well. Just remember western spicey is not Indian spicey!! :eek: As long as you have the Immodium! Fortunately I seem to be immune to any of those problems!

I don't know of any local tour companies. Most people coming to Mumbai do it independantly as there is not so much to see and what there is - is pretty concentrated in one area - the Gateway of India, Taj Hotel, Prince of Wales Museum (I think they've re-named it), a couple of art museums, etc.

If you end up not going to the Taj, check out the ship's excursions. Mumbai definitely can be overwhelming - (not sure what kind of traveler you are).

If I come across any other information - tour operators, etc. I'll let you know. BTW, what ship are you coming in on and when? Queen Victoria was here last week on her maiden world tour and sadly I missed seeing her!

Happy Cruising!

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from a wonderful 35 day cruise from Hong Kong to Athens on Oceania's Nautica. The 3 day/2 night trip to Agra was offered by the ship and 120 passengers took it including my husband and self.

If there was only one tour that we could take, then that would be the one I would take again and again. We left Goa by a chartered plane which flew to Agra and we arrived there 2 hours after take off, just in time to go to the Taj for sunset. Next morning we were up at 5am to see the Taj at sunrise. That morning we went to visit a Sultan's Palace (Farehpur Sikri) out in the countryside before lunch. After lunch we had a choice of various places to visit and we chose the tomb of Imad-ud-Doular which is thought the Taj was modelled on. The next morning we visited the Agra Fort before boarding our flight back to Mumbai - it is a 2 hour flight. We arrived at Mumbai's Domestic airport and it took us nearly 2 hours to get to the ship, the traffic in Mumbai is horrendous.

I wouldn't dream of trying to do it on my own, there are two many things that could go wrong. If the ship offers it, take it, you won't regret it. Mind you, the heat in Agra was stifling as it was 44C each day (111F). Also, a few of the passengers did get sick because they didn't understand that you cannot eat salad ingredients that have been washed. We always abide by the rule that if you cannot peel it or it cannot be boiled, do not eat it. That also means no ice cubes in drinks etc. Only bottled water for cleaning of teeth as well.

Officialdom in India keeps the economy going. We had to have our luggage tags on our carry on luggage including handbags stamped at least 3 times and we were on a chartered plane! Those 3 days were something I will remember forever.

Jennie

We are on the Princess TP World Cruise 2009 and orginally there was listed a day tour (with flight) to Taj Mahal - but that is now gone on the shore excursion list.....we are very disappointed - we are only there for one day and wouldn't try this on our own, but were really looking forward to seeing the Taj.....keeping my fingers crossed it will be back on the choices before we sail.

We booked Regents Dubai to Mumbai for Sept '09. We are taking the post cruise excursion and staying at a beautiful hotel near the Taj. Regent has never disappointed. I saw some pictures of India and work with some docotos from India. They said be in for culture shock and I won't believe the poverty. But, the colors and the people make it worthwhile and I want to see the Taj Mahal at least once in my life.

• 4 weeks later...

We booked with Regent as I said before, ending in Mumbai. I asked about the ship's extension to the Taj. It is very expensive, about $9,000 for two. I don't know the details but it is a few days at a luxury hotel. I have to find out if they will take us to the airport in Delhi. What is the ballpark figure for other cruiselines Taj excursions? This sounds way overpriced. If we can't get to the Taj then will will cancel India. That is the main reason we are going to India. We have booked back-to-back on Regent. Athens to Dubai and then Dubai to Mumbai 10/09. Regent has always been first class and we have done many pre and post cruise with them and they never disappointed. But, this price is disappointing and way more than we are willing to pay. Any suggestions?

As I mentioned in a previous post, we did the excursion from our ship - Oceania's Nautica - in Goa and were away 3 days/2 nights. We had a chartered flight which flew out of Goa into Agra, out of Agra and into Mumbai. We stayed at a 5 star hotel, the Taj View Hotel and our room did have a view of the Taj Mahal.

It cost us $1600US p.p. A big difference from your $9000. I certainly would not be paying out $9000 for an excursion that is only a couple of days. We had 100 on our excursion and it was run beautifully. I loved being there but it was extremely hot - 44C and quite uncomfortable. Agra is dirty and is a shock if you are not used to seeing poverty.

Also, the same company that owns Oceania now owns Regent so there shouldn't be such a decrepency in the price.

Jennie

If Mumbai is your final cruise destination, explore a tour with an Indian Travel Agency, based in New York. They will arrange a private tour with a Van with guide and driver that will provide all the transfers and tours. No -- I am not in the tour business. We did a 10 days land tour SF-Delhi-Agra (Taj Mahal), Jaipur, Udaypur, and Jodhpur, Mumbai, SF, with such an agency. I think that the tour itinerary post-cruise for the $9,000 may be more than just Taj Mahal.

I asked about the ship's extension to the Taj. It is very expensive, about $9,000 for two. I don't know the details but it is a few days at a luxury hotel. I have to find out if they will take us to the airport in Delhi.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Please, can anyone suggest some tour companies that would pick us up at the ship and take us on a 4 or 5 day tour; staying at luxury hotels. Slao, question about public restrooms in India. Are they really holes in the ground that you have to squat over? What the ones in restaurants,

• 1 year later...

We'll be on the ms Amsterdam for the 2011 world cruise and we will have a day in Cochin, sea day, and two days im Mombai. The tour from the ship to the Taj Mahal from Mumbai is $2399 per person for a chartered flight, visit to the Taj, buffet lunch, optional tour to the fort and retun to Mumbai in 14 hours. This just seems very expensive for 1 day.

If we dared, we could leave the ship in Cochin and fly to Agra, but, we would have to fly to Muscat, Oman, Mumbai, New Delhi and then Agra (overnight flight). We'd arrive in Agra around 1 pm the next day, see the Taj, get a hotel, see the Taj at sunrise and have a flight at 1 pm to New Delhi, then to Mumbai arriving around 6. I guess we would get back to the ship around 8 pm. It is a lot of flying and we would miss 2 nights on the ship and a sea day. The air would cost around $1390 for the two of us, plus a hotel room. Would anyone try that? Has anyone heard of or stayed at the Hotel Taj Plaza? We don't need fancy, just a clean bed and attached bathroom. This hotel says it is 600 meters from the Taj. I guess we would save around $3000. Any ideas or suggestions? The flights from Mumbai to Agra are at the wrong times.

Edited by Put Me On A Boat
change sunset to sunrise

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

We did a cruise from Rome to Singapore in 2008. I cant remember how much the day trip to Taj was from RCL but was expensive. We got off the ship in Dubai and flew into delhi. Then went to Taj the following day. Unfortunately for us it was the same time as the Mumbai Attacks. Our ship never docked in Mumbai and we caught up with it in Cochin i think.

We used tour company Mumbai Magic. I cant tell you how great they were. Great guide and everything. Found the ship for us. Booked us new flights. A nights accomodation because the ship wasnt there in Mumbai. It just went on. Ladies name is Deepa and she is awesome. Just google mumbai magic and you will find it. They do day tours around Mumbai as well. Worked out less then half the price of the cost from RCL.

Caz

Hi-I'm still in the planning stages since our cruise isn't until Dec.,but have a few questions! If we do the shore excursion with Azamara to Taj Mahal(and they haven't announced any shore excursions yet),is it usually a one-day tour or overnight? I'm just wondering if we can fit in any time to explore Mumbai? Anyone who has done the Azamara excursion I'd love to hear from you!!

Thanks! Shelly:)

ps. We are there for 2 days!

Edited by bellagirl
Add'l explanation!

Please, can anyone suggest some tour companies that would pick us up at the ship and take us on a 4 or 5 day tour; staying at luxury hotels. Slao, question about public restrooms in India. Are they really holes in the ground that you have to squat over? What the ones in restaurants,

We did a pre cruise tour back in Feb of 2001. It was a Princess cruise Pacific Princess AKA the LOve Boat.Was a crossing from Mombai to Mombasa through the Indean Ocean.

I contacted Isram Tour in New York. We flew to New Dehli stayed the Obario .

The tour company picked us up at the airport drove us to the hotel. Picked us up the next morning took us for a tour of old and New Dehli. The next morning picked us up drove to the train station waited till we got on the train First class tickets. Arrived in Agra had a driver take us to the Tajh Mahal and the red fort and out for lunch. Took us back to the train station ,waited with us till the train arrived put us on board. When we arrived into Mombai they where waiting for us and guided us out of the train station and to the hotel.

We lost a piece of luggage when we arrived into Dehli , but Isram had a man stay at the airport for 2 days and got our luggage back.

Maybe the best tour we ever had. Also when you look to book to got to the Tajh Mahal makle suer u specifie its in Agra. Some travel agents i found out booked clients into the Tajh Mahl Hotel instead of Agra.