Rhine River--Remagen Bridge

SfromATX

We are leaving later this week for the Viking Rhine Getaway from Basel to Amsterdam. I am wondering if anyone who has done this trip remembers if you were able to see what's left of the Remagen Bridge (between Koblenz and Cologne) which played a big part in WWII. If anyone remembers, let me know.

Hello,

there is no steel construction left, the towers i.e. the bases of the bridge remain on both sides of the river and are clearly visible, although you might not recognize them as the towers if they are not pointed out to you. Coming up from Basel and sailing with Viking you might sail that stretch of river during the night, I know others have. If you then really want to see the towers you need to take a train up from Koblenz which is easy to do, if you have at least two and a half hours to spare.

Enjoy your trip.

notamermaid

Hello CPT Trips,

thank you for pointing this out. I hope your plans work out and you have an interesting trip to Remagen.

Just a note on the bridge: it had two sister bridges. Alle three were destroyed and only one rebuilt in a different steel construction. That bridge connects Urmitz with Engers, a few kilometres north of Koblenz. The third one was at Rüdesheim.

notamermaid

keinelorelei . . . (Did I get that correct? ;) )

I have second and third plans for everywhere we intend to go on our own. Hopefully I'll take the time to write notes so I can:

- identify my pictures . . . Note to self take a picture of a sign right after getting off the boat.

- write a trip report.

- be able to answer questions here

SfromATX ~ we took the Viking Rhine cruise from Basel to Amsterdam in December. I remember the CD mentioning that we would pass the Ramagen Bridge in the middle of the night (about 3am) and anyone interested in seeing what's left should alert the reception desk and they would receive a wake-up call. I guess this was done since they can't predict exact time due to River traffic.

I'm sure if you check with the CD or reception when you board they can give you much more information.

Have a great trip - we really enjoyed our cruise - planned originally for the Christmas Markets but I'd take this trip any time of year!!!!

We cruised passed the bridge at Remagen last April with Scenic and the captain slowed the boat down so we could take pictures and reflect on what happened there, that and the bridge at Nijmagen are really worth seeing. Enjoy your cruise hope the weather is fine.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. FotoPeg, I'll bet we'll have the same timetable as your trip so my husband can consider the wake-up call. And, NotAMermaid, thank you for your always helpful advice. In the river cruises we've done, you two have been my mainstays of information! Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned and visited Remagen on our own by train from our stop in Bonn. The peace museum has good exhibits about the Army crossing of the Rhein and was worth the visit, particularly for WWII buffs. I did not realize until that visit that the Allies had a huge POW camp established there.

It was a quick, easy and inexpensive (@ €7 for a round trip ticket) from Bonn.

Also, several nice places to eat in Remagen.

Hello CPT Trips,

We just returned and visited Remagen on our own by train from our stop in Bonn. The peace museum has good exhibits about the Army crossing of the Rhein and was worth the visit, particularly for WWII buffs. I did not realize until that visit that the Allies had a huge POW camp established there.

It was a quick, easy and inexpensive (@ €7 for a round trip ticket) from Bonn.

Also, several nice places to eat in Remagen.

Great to hear your plans worked out and you had an interesting trip to Remagen. Thank you for coming back to the thread for feedback.

This is the sad thing about history, it is distorted over time, partly depending whether you are on the winning or loosing side. The POW camp was in an area in Remagen called Goldene Meile and is a story not of heroic deeds but terrible suffering :(. Well worth exploring (not so much the site, more the literature about it) if you are interested in World War II history.

There is a society of volunteers who collaborate with a theatre group and stage a play about the Remagen bridge at the original site across the Rhine in Erpel. Only in German though.

For those with lots of time to spare when in Cologne:

Remagen is easily reachable from Cologne as well, as this is the main railway line connecting Cologne with Koblenz.

notamermaid

There was more than enough suffering in WWII on every side, that is certain.

The trip, from Antwerp to Nijmegen and Arheim (Market Garden), then Remagen, and on to Luxembourg (US and German cemeteries) was thought provoking.

• 7 months later...

Hello CPT Trips,

you are close with "keinelorelei"! "notamermaid" means "keine Meerjungfrau", but the Lorelei inspired me as she was sometimes depicted as a (river) mermaid of sorts.

Hello SfromATX,

Quote: And, NotAMermaid, thank you for your always helpful advice. Quote end.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoyed your trip.

I saw on marinetraffic earlier that the Viking Sun is currently sailing the stretch from Koblenz to Cologne, i.e. will pass the Remagen bridge between 3 and 4pm (estimated local time). I looked up the itinerary here: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/rhine-getaway/2014-basel-amsterdam/itinerary.html

That is a nice change to sailing that stretch of river at night. And if my calculation is correct the cruisers on this sailing will see the sun setting over the hills close to Bonn reaching Cologne in early night sky. That would look great.

By the way, for those who are a little more adventurous can skip the Koblenz to Cologne stretch entirely and take the train from Koblenz, stop in Remagen and then continue on to Cologne. Journey time is between an hour (fast service) and about 90 minutes (regional train). Prices are from 19 euros for one adult. Add to that at least one hour for the museum visit.

notamermaid

Grey and cold today, close to freezing temperatures. All the Christmas lights are up around here and I have already been for a first visit to a local Christmas market.