Stopping complimentary afternoon tea in mdr?

davenew

While I cannot comment about the tea situation on Britannia as I have no direct knowledge of the situation, I would be surprised if such a British event as Tea Service was being withdrawn. P&O empahsises its Britishness and the British Tea Time is renown all over the world. What I would comment on is the number of incorrect comments made on various Facebook threads. I have read all sorts of things that are just wrong. I have heard how P&O do not allow you to take alcohol on board and it will be removed at check in, I have read comments about individual ships which are wrong. I'm always surprised at people asking very basic questions after they have booked a cruise - e.g. Does P&O have a dress code? I find it very surprising that people seem to book a cruise without the most basic knowledge about what they are booking. Why don't people look at the P&O website, look at a brochure before booking their cruise? I certainly wouldn't rely on any Facebook comment as being correct. Forums like this one are useful because people who have been on the ships many times do have a wealth of knowledge and can help new cruisers. I am always wary of any comments that begin "I have heard that....." One recent example is that comment that Sky News was being removed from the TVs on P&O ships - turned out to be wrong. Be careful when things are just rumours.

The origin of this thread was not about the removal of afternoon tea completely just that it was stopped in MDR on Britannia. Afternoon tea would still be available in buffet and in Epicurean for Eric Lanlard's afternoon tea at a cost of £15pp. I have asked P&O directly and they are contacting Food && Beverages Manager to verify as my previous thread stated but as yet over 8 days later I have had no reply from P&O.

While I cannot comment about the tea situation on Britannia as I have no direct knowledge of the situation, I would be surprised if such a British event as Tea Service was being withdrawn. P&O empahsises its Britishness and the British Tea Time is renown all over the world. What I would comment on is the number of incorrect comments made on various Facebook threads. I have read all sorts of things that are just wrong. I have heard how P&O do not allow you to take alcohol on board and it will be removed at check in, I have read comments about individual ships which are wrong. I'm always surprised at people asking very basic questions after they have booked a cruise - e.g. Does P&O have a dress code? I find it very surprising that people seem to book a cruise without the most basic knowledge about what they are booking. Why don't people look at the P&O website, look at a brochure before booking their cruise? I certainly wouldn't rely on any Facebook comment as being correct. Forums like this one are useful because people who have been on the ships many times do have a wealth of knowledge and can help new cruisers. I am always wary of any comments that begin "I have heard that....." One recent example is that comment that Sky News was being removed from the TVs on P&O ships - turned out to be wrong. Be careful when things are just rumours.

This is so true, when we first cruised I used the P&O Cruise Community and found out a lot but we had read the brochure and the website first before booking. At that time I didn't use fb and I also used this and two other long standing forums to gather my information for past and upcoming cruises. In light of MSC bringing a ship to sail from UK and are promoting all things British such as afternoon tea and kettles in cabins it would be sheer folly of P&O to remove these aspects of the cruise experience.

The origin of this thread was not about the removal of afternoon tea completely just that it was stopped in MDR on Britannia. Afternoon tea would still be available in buffet and in Epicurean for Eric Lanlard's afternoon tea at a cost of £15pp. I have asked P&O directly and they are contacting Food && Beverages Manager to verify as my previous thread stated but as yet over 8 days later I have had no reply from P&O.

As I started the post, thank you for pointing that out

Can I advise you that the original post was based on a closed group on Facebook called P&O Britannia, and is for all people sailing or sailed on Britannia. Most of the people on there are well sailed on P&O. The comment was based on several people making the same comment, so I doubt if they are all wrong.

Whilst I cant actually comment on the afternoon tea issue, I do so agree with you Annie uk in as much as some of the absolute rubbish spouted on the facebook groups is very worrying. I frequently see people giving out information which is so clearly and downright wrong. And if you comment to that effect , someone will acuse you of being a stuck up know it all! So I don't comment that much now :D ....I am certainly not stuck up, and I dont know it all! But I have been cruising for many years now so have a fair bit of knowledge!

Now, about Adonia....well watch this space...just two sleeps....:hearteyes::confused:

What I would comment on is the number of incorrect comments made on various Facebook threads. I have read all sorts of things that are just wrong. I have heard how P&O do not allow you to take alcohol on board and it will be removed at check in, I have read comments about individual ships which are wrong. I'm always surprised at people asking very basic questions after they have booked a cruise - e.g. Does P&O have a dress code? I find it very surprising that people seem to book a cruise without the most basic knowledge about what they are booking. Why don't people look at the P&O website, look at a brochure before booking their cruise? I certainly wouldn't rely on any Facebook comment as being correct. Forums like this one are useful because people who have been on the ships many times do have a wealth of knowledge and can help new cruisers. I am always wary of any comments that begin "I have heard that....." One recent example is that comment that Sky News was being removed from the TVs on P&O ships - turned out to be wrong. Be careful when things are just rumours.

I totally agree with you.

I, and my husband, find it bemusing as to why new passengers do not simply look at the P&O website/brochure to find out anything they need to know, or, indeed, do the outlandish thing of actually ringing P&O themselves to find out the answer to their question.

Whenever we have booked holidays, whether it be cruising, hotels, B&B's, etc etc we always do some research beforehand.

It does seem to be odd that anyone would book a holiday, that possibly costs quite a lot of their hard earned money, without actually looking in to what they are spending it on! Maybe they have so much that it doesn't matter to them if it is rubbish! :p

Afternoon tea in the Meridian dining room was advertised in each days Horizon between 4:00 - 4:45 on Azura A713 at the end of May.

Thanks for that, different issue, were the 10:30 shows still on do you know ?

The normal show times were 7:30 and 9:00, we liked it because we were freedom dining, but I imagine that 2nd sitting were not too happy.

Thanks not what we were hoping to hear - will prob change from 2nd to Freedom

Thanks not what we were hoping to hear - will prob change from 2nd to Freedom

My wife likes the shows but she says she is quite happy with 7.30. Seems a good idea to me if she is in the show she is not in the bar with me. I will save money.

That sounds like a result. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife likes the shows but she says she is quite happy with 7.30. Seems a good idea to me if she is in the show she is not in the bar with me. I will save money.

Ah but does she have to pass by the shops on the way to the show

Cost of one drink v cost of handbag, or perfume or......:evilsmile:

Ah but does she have to pass by the shops on the way to the show

Cost of one drink v cost of handbag, or perfume or......:evilsmile:

You go off people.

I usually keep her card for safe keeping. :). :)

Dai, you do realise that you can get drinks served to you in the theatre, unless you confiscate your good lady's cruise card?:')

As I started the post, thank you for pointing that out

I am well aware that you started the thread but I wasn't referring to you personally but in general as a lot seem to be commenting about P&O removing afternoon tea completely and not just in MDR. Perhaps you should take a breath and pause before you comment because not everybody is referring to you personally so need for your sarcastic reply.

. I have asked P&O directly and they are contacting Food && Beverages Manager to verify as my previous thread stated but as yet over 8 days later I have had no reply from P&O.

Still no word back from them? You would think it would be a simple enough question with a straght forward yes or no answer.

Re the Canberra - if she was the ship that came back from the Falklands I was at school and could only dream of a cruise at that time

Our first cruise was on the old Oriana in 1981. Our second was due to be the Canberra, but days before we were due to sail, had phone call to say the ship had been requisitioned! Never has so much news been watched and her return home was amazing.

Compared to today, she really was an old tub, but we had very fond memories. Bunk beds, bathrooms down the corridor. Like you cruising was a dream and our sole ambition at that time was was A deck forward. Still think we are dreaming when we think of some of the places we visited.

All these years later we still love cruising and hope to continue for many years to come. Thank goodness ships have improved, although do think they are getting too big.

By the way we never refer to the good old days, because today's ships and itineraries are much better.

Edited by The Wilkies

I just got back from 2 weeks on Britannia (4-18th June) and afternoon tea was definitely still being served with no mention of it being removed. We went twice and the food and service was as it has always been. No need to panic I hope!

Sorry, I should have confirmed that this was the complimentary afternoon tea in the MDR that we went to and still appears to be alive and well. Perhaps the threads about it being removed relate to a one off cruise-maybe they had some staffing or operational issues that meant they couldn't offer it at that time?

I have been on about 20 P&O cruises and have never had afternoon tea.

However on the old QE2 I did have afternoon tea and that was special.

Like it or not, things are changing and the reason is to cut costs/increase profit.

As far as P&O are concerned, I suspect their attitude is like it or move on to another cruise line.

I still long for the days when dress codes were enforced, now on a two week cruise it's 4 formal nights and that is it. Give it a few more years and formal nights will be a thing of the past. Jeans and tee shirts will be worn in the MDR most nights.

Put it all together with cost cutting and cruises will never be the same.

I have been on about 20 P&O cruises and have never had afternoon tea.

However on the old QE2 I did have afternoon tea and that was special.

Like it or not, things are changing and the reason is to cut costs/increase profit.

As far as P&O are concerned, I suspect their attitude is like it or move on to another cruise line.

I still long for the days when dress codes were enforced, now on a two week cruise it's 4 formal nights and that is it. Give it a few more years and formal nights will be a thing of the past. Jeans and tee shirts will be worn in the MDR most nights.

Put it all together with cost cutting and cruises will never be the same.

Tokyo,

This is not happening it is a non story. Afternoon tea is alive and well. If you read the thread you will find this out.